Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Debate!!

Options
  • 11-03-2011 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

hi guys and girls,
    just wondering in the current climate would we be better to hand our lot to a contractor or is there better savings to be made with direct labour!!!! the idea of a contractor is great but it all sounds very expensive??? Any ideas, tips or "hindsight" advice???:D

cheers
    K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

I am doing my build by direct labour for a variety of reasons and I am loving it but... you have to have balls of steel, you have to be able to stand your ground, you have to drive a hard bargain, you need time, lots and lots of time and you have to read, lots!

I have saved money, quite a lot in some cases, but it is hard work. There are days when I want to be able to hand it to someone and say "there you go, make a decisions" but I am not that type of person and I would be living in the contractors pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Troy McClure

Its hard to see it's worth the hassle. Also a contractor gives you comeback.

You may get more replies with a meaningfull title..

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭mickob16

Direct labour everytime.Know exactly what you want and dont take any BS.The only positive i can see about a contractor is that they are responsible for all work carried out.If you've done your research and know what each stage involves it can be be great seeing your ideas being realised.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

If you don't have the expertise, or the time to acquire it, then direct labour is not the way.

You can do project-manage, which is half-way between that and a contract job as well these days. You end up paying trades directly, and the best price you can negotiate, and the PM manages your build to execution - you have to pay him too, true, but there again, information is power, as they say.

There again, atmo, contractor's should be keen for work, so the premium shouldn't be too great, and, as people have pointed out, you have comeback and a warranty.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

We went contractor route. Still had loads of research etc to do.
    I'd say we saved 10/15k by knowing our stuff and not rolling over for extras etc.
    Many variables to consider when making the decision. Here's a few...
    * How flexible are you taking/making phone calls at work
    * How flexible are you time wise
    * Is the house a complicated design/layout (harder to do direct)
    * Easier to get mortgage drawdown with contractor
    * Are you any good at managing projects - that's what you'll be doing either way but more so with direct labour.
    * How good is your engineer/AT etc. More important on direct labour as if they miss something you will be paying to rectify.
    * Have you much cash to start with - you'll get 4/6 weeks credit with most contractors i.e you pay in stages when it is done, they pay or get credit for the materials.
    * A decent contractor can give you ideas/changes, spot possible design issues etc from their previous experiences in building similar houses. The more input you get the less likely you are to make mistakes.
    * How experienced are you in the building trade. Not essential but you are learning on the job which 'may' lead to expensive mistakes.

Tis horses for courses as they say:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Katienewbuild

JuniorB wrote: »
    We went contractor route. Still had loads of research etc to do.
    I'd say we saved 10/15k by knowing our stuff and not rolling over for extras etc.
    Many variables to consider when making the decision. Here's a few...
    * How flexible are you taking/making phone calls at work
    * How flexible are you time wise
    * Is the house a complicated design/layout (harder to do direct)
    * Easier to get mortgage drawdown with contractor
    * Are you any good at managing projects - that's what you'll be doing either way but more so with direct labour.
    * How good is your engineer/AT etc. More important on direct labour as if they miss something you will be paying to rectify.
    * Have you much cash to start with - you'll get 4/6 weeks credit with most contractors i.e you pay in stages when it is done, they pay or get credit for the materials.
    * A decent contractor can give you ideas/changes, spot possible design issues etc from their previous experiences in building similar houses. The more input you get the less likely you are to make mistakes.
    * How experienced are you in the building trade. Not essential but you are learning on the job which 'may' lead to expensive mistakes.

Tis horses for courses as they say:)
    this is a really great help. thanks

Advertisement