Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

West Cork accomodation-weres best?

Options
  • 11-03-2011 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Plan to spend 2 days at Easter using Rosscarbery as a base to tour around Cork,then head further west to explore for another day or so.Anyone recommend good places too stay?Most hotels will be booked up at Easter so will prob stay in B&B's/guest houses.Was thinking Baltimore,Schull or Skibbereen?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

What about self catering holiday home in the area

http://www.sandycovebeach.com
    I know they do short breaks off season as I stayed there and its across the road from the beach

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Booked 2 nights in Celtic Ross hotel in Rosscarbery for €99,got a good deal on net.Looking at Schull for the 3rd night if anyone has recommendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 waybulooer

hey Bertie1-if you come back to this thread could I pick your brains about those holiday homes?am planning to book 5 nights end of May for husband and my 2 babies under 2-are they very far from Ross?we would be looking to go to playground/shop etc and won't be driving-we are getting taxi from Clon to the holiday home so would be on foot for the 5days with buggies-are there any facilities at Owenahincha or is it just the beach?any info appreciated-the website isn't very clear about small issues we might have re:not driving!!don't want to be too isolated!cheers!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

of all the local beaches Oweahincha probably least pleasent due to bad development, caravan park etc. On the other side it does have a shop and chipper. Two heads of the one coin. The warren beach is closer to ross. My fave is the red strand. Beautifull sheltered beach with views of the galley head lighthouse. Inchadoney nice too and you can do surf lessons there. Lovely area, im sure you will have a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Oh just saw where your planning on staying. Theres some sort of shop (only ever drove past it, can see buckets and spades for sale if any help) and a chipper there allright. The beach is grand actually as you dont see the development because of the sand dunes. The general area is really spectacular though. Nearest pub about 1o-15 minute walk called the fishers cross. Has tv plus pool tables. Friendly crowd. Nearest village Rathbarry. Lovely walk there from the beach. Theres a slightly bigger shop with postoffice there and another pub.
    If the weather is very warm walk to the lighthouse and have a look for basking sharks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

waybulooer wrote: »
    hey Bertie1-if you come back to this thread could I pick your brains about those holiday homes?am planning to book 5 nights end of May for husband and my 2 babies under 2-are they very far from Ross?we would be looking to go to playground/shop etc and won't be driving-we are getting taxi from Clon to the holiday home so would be on foot for the 5days with buggies-are there any facilities at Owenahincha or is it just the beach?any info appreciated-the website isn't very clear about small issues we might have re:not driving!!don't want to be too isolated!cheers!:)

They are about 2 miles from Rosscarbery. There is a chipper about 100yards away from the houses , they has fresh veg for sale there and a shop at the petrol station just before you turn over towards Owenahincha , that has the basics bread milk paper, rashers & sausages, briquettes for the fire etc. We went to Abbey bar in Rosscarbery on the Sat night & got a taxi back , there is a local taxi sevice, the woman that owns the house has the number up on a notice board in the house.
    There is a grand flat walk for buggies back as far as Rathbarry passing Castlefreake, you could walk along the coast road coming back but there is a hill there I don't know about pushing a buggie up it but you may be fitter than me.
    On the Sunday night there was a bar next to the Chipper that opened late & there was dancing there. The place is on the flat , so it is ideal for buggies & there was a swing & slide we could see from our kitchen window. If you don't have a car you will need to big shop before you go there . There is a centra shop & restaurants in Rosscarbery its self.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 waybulooer

thanks a mill!you should be on commission!!seriously though-cheers for that!will get booking!all excited now!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mountain

bertie1 wrote: »
    What about self catering holiday home in the area

http://www.sandycovebeach.com
    I know they do short breaks off season as I stayed there and its across the road from the beach

A word of warning, Owenahincha beach is not the safest for swimming.

Advertisement