Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on buying a new PC.

• 11-03-2011 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Ok, i plan on buying a new PC and I need a bit of advice.

I suppose the best way of describing what at im after is by what i use this one for. Oh, by the way, im not fond of apple (well i miht be if i can transfet documents from Microsoft Word and excel). Word processing, reports, letters and other documents.
    Excel spread sheets.
    Brousing the internet.
    Map information systems, particularly downloading and overlaying maps for projects (the bigger the screen the better)
    Watching the odd movie and internet documentaries.
    Record keeping of word documents.
    HP printing and scanning.
    I never play games on it.
    Some music on Real player
    Scype.
    Mapping and autocad.

Most importantly, this laptop n is too small and downloading maps.

So, i dont really need that much power or disc space, just to do the above quickly and good, clear graffice..

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Caoimhin

Photo shop

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

You mention maps & Autocad - this means graphics.
    So any machine you get, make sure there is a decent amount of memory (RAM).
    Graphics strain a system a lot more so than audio stuff.

Avoid anyone selling you a Vista based machine - no matter what price!
    XP or Win7 go for.

Autocad too is a heavy app so once again memory is an issue to keep an eye on - along with a decent sized hard-drive.
    There should also be a decent, medium to high grade, graphics card in it then so!

Large graphics also means you will need a system with a bit of power in it too!
    Especially if your running Autocad, a large memory resident app!
    (Between that and any additional graphics, on a crappy system, you will get slowness all over or response lagging.)

Any decent pc will run the above apps and do the rest that you want it to do.
    The rest is up to you as what you can afford and where you get it from.
    Remember, you get what you pay for - so if you can, stick with the more well known names (they are better supported should there be problems later).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Just on PC prices, im only about 25 miles from Enniskillen, is there much savings to be had buying up there?

Advertisement