Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food market

Options
  • 11-03-2011 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi there!
    One thing myself and my wife love when visiting places is going to the local food market. Checking the nice groceries, the produces, the good meat, fresh fish :D

I wonder if we have this in Dublin? Could someone please recommend a nice local market where we could find Jamie Oliver kind of ingredients?

Cheers

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i dont know what jamie olivier foods are but there is a great food market in temple bar on saturdays

http://www.templebar.ie/Markets/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Hi Zer. Great recommondation by Irishbird there, fruit and veg is great in Temple bar and NOT a rip off and the olives are great. Thumbs up on that one.

There is another market in St. Annes park in Raheny every Saturday, there is an organic veg and herb guy and an organic butcher. Pricey enough, but talk to any organic farmer and you will see why. (certification is tough work!).

The Moore St. and Talbot st. and Parnell st. butchers are excellent for what you are after, I picked up a slab of pig belly for €4 a while ago, lots of crackling! They do a lot of rabbit, duck etc for good prices and have a lot of cheap cuts lately. Some of the Asian markets have had unbeatable prices when it comes to fresh herbs, spices and veg, some of it even home grown! If you really want to treat yourself, Fallon and Byrne have an indoor market.

http://www.fallonandbyrne.com/section/103

Don't expect a bargain in a hurry here, but, it you are in to your food, it's a treat. Mind you, if you know your cuts and the prices, the roast rib on the bone price is as good as any supermarket.

Howth (a short DART ride from city centre) is great for very very cheap fish deals. Just wonder up and down the pier checking out prices and you will get very good deals on fish. Doran's mussels are amazing at the moment and Nicky's Plaice's Dublin Bay Prawns are a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

The Co Op foodmarket in Newmarket Square, Dublin 8 is a good one, too.

Advertisement