Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

slow laptop

• 11-03-2011 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭

my laptop has been running real slow for d last couple of weeks,i scanned for virus`s with mse,i defragged,i used ccleaner,i used seagate and it said all d drives are healthy,nothin seems to help,laptop is about seven years old its a hp dv8000 and im using vodafone prepay mobile broadband,what options are open to me now,your help is greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

more ram or could be the mobile broadband

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Mine did the same thing and it was because it was over heating because the fan was clogged with dirt. Have you tried cleaning out the fan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

a quick blast of compressed air to clear dust might help

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

I see you havent mentioned defragging at all!

Have you ever defragged it or its also a good idea to format a windows operating system evey year or so, they tend to get bloated and slow down with all the updates.

Im sure you know this but just in case, to defrag right click on your c drive, go to properties, go to tools and run defrag option
    Imortant not to use your computer while its defragging.

Sorry, you did mention a defrag.

malwarebytes is an option in safe mode.

gmer is an option for finding rootkits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭francois

Check your services (start>run type services.msc) see which services are set to run automatically-check on the web to see if any of these can be set to manual startup (be careful though!)
    See which apps start automatically (run msconfig) remove stuff like adobe updater or java updater or any stuff like that
    Delete .tmp files
    Delete files in c:\documents and settings\{user id}\local settings\temp

Oh yeah, the windows defrag is useless download the free defraggler, much faster
    http://www.piriform.com/defraggler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭uch

Dowmload Spybot search and destroy, do an update, scan and Immunize and it should speed things up

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

looks like spybot done the job,thanks a lot guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭Anthonyk2010

How can find out if it mobile broadband that's slowing laptop down. It showing full bar coverage, is there a more accurate way?

Also defragging will I lose stuff stored on laptop by doing this

Bullguard normally takes 3 hours to scan. It already 3hr and 30 minutes in and only 9% scanned.

Something slowing laptop down.

How can find out if it mobile broadband that's slowing laptop down. It showing full bar coverage, is there a more accurate way?

Also defragging will I lose stuff stored on laptop by doing this

Bullguard normally takes 3 hours to scan. It already 3hr and 30 minutes in and only 9% scanned.

Something slowing laptop down.

Do a Broadband speed test

No you will lose nothing

Download Spybot search and destroy, do an update, scan and Immunize and it should speed things up

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭Anthonyk2010

uch wrote: »
    Do a Broadband speed test

No you will lose nothing

Download Spybot search and destroy, do an update, scan and Immunize and it should speed things up

Which spybot do i download. There is a list of a few?

• Advertisement

uch wrote: »

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 westcoast1

If a system is running slow it could be spyware,malware a virus or a combination of the 3.

The best free tool out there for spyware removal is super anti spyware-

http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html

For malware removal the free version of malwarebytes is a superb tool-

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

I wouldn't recommend any other anti-virus but trend micro titanium-

http://us.trendmicro.com/us/products/personal/internet-security/buy-now-and-save/index.html

(as i have seen so many other anti-virus programs slowing down computers to a ridiculous degree!)

Lastly try running a checkdisk on your system drive (usually c: )
    1-Open the command prompt
    2-make sure the system drive is selected (i.e. c: )
    3-type in chkdsk /r - it will ask you if you want to run this process the next time the system starts so just select y for yes
    4-restart system and checkdisk will run and sort out any windows operating system files that may be corrupted

Advertisement