Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I wish to cancel my membership to Westpark Fitness

Options
  • 11-03-2011 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

I joined Westpark Fitness in Tallaght in 2007 and I have a monthly direct bedit membership.

Although now I'm moving away and won't be able to attend.

Does anyone know what the procedure is for cancellation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You can just cut off the DD with the bank

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Mellor wrote: »
    You can just cut off the DD with the bank

Yup, just stop paying your mortgage and any other loans ya have while you're at it.

Now I may be wrong, but breach of contract, assuming there's one in place which says notice must be given, is illegal. And given how much negative craic this forum has been recently, telling someone to break the law is the last thing I would have expectd...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

moved from Health & Fitness, you'll get a better answer here I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You'll have to read the T&Cs of your contract, or else contact them directly.

However, assuming that the process is straightforward, I would suggest notifying them in writing that you are cancelling the contract with one month's notice. At the same time, make sure to inform your bank to cancel the direct debit following the last payment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

Easiest way is to go up and talk to a member of their membership team. I used to work in a gym and if you were a member over a year then it normally wasn't a problem to cancel- just sign a form and cancel you DD your end (granted might not be the same everywhere). Sometimes we'd ask for prove of moving (i.e plane ticket, new lease, whatever) just for our audit department.
    I'd suggest doing it as soon as you can so you can have it all sorted before you move though, just in case of any red tape (you know gyms:p)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Hanley wrote: »
    Yup, just stop paying your mortgage and any other loans ya have while you're at it..

It's not a mortgage or a loan though. It's a monthly service.

OP - just stop your DD and ignore any letters. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Its a contract that the OP signed up to.

Thats bad advice man :/

It is a contract, and by cancelling the DD, he would be ceasing to fulfill his end of the contract, and therefore would be in breach of the contract. That could quite easily lead to a legal situation, so you are giving the OP bad advice.

It's quite easy to cancel it correctly, so why not go and do that?

dudara wrote: »
    It is a contract, and by cancelling the DD, he would be ceasing to fulfil his end of the contract, and therefore would be in breach of the contract. That could quite easily lead to a legal situation, so you are giving the OP bad advice.

It's quite easy to cancel it correctly, so why not go and do that?
    He signed it in 2007 - it's a contract for services, but he can terminate at any time now as the "tied in" period is usually 1 year.

OP - just send them an e-mail and then cancel your DD. It doesn't need to be complicated. You don't even have to give a reason - it's none of their business - just say you're cancelling from X date, and you're already paid up and to cancel your swipe card from that date. Then they can't legally bill you for services you told them IN ADVANCE that you didn't want, and you were no longer OBLIGED to accept under contract. The contract, after the initial 1-year period, now only states that you will pay for X services for X amount - if you no longer require those services just notify them and you have no obligation.

I've done it with Slender Health, Westwood, Imagine BB, and Total Fitness - never heard from them after an initial letter, which I ignored.

If you let them know that you don't want their service, they can't just provide it to you and then charge you afterwards. It would be like me mowing my neighbours lawn, then asking to be paid for it - he never asked for his lawn to be mowed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

He signed it in 2007 - it's a contract for services, but he can terminate at any time now as the "tied in" period is usually 1 year.

OP - just send them an e-mail and then cancel your DD. It doesn't need to be complicated. You don't even have to give a reason - it's none of their business - just say you're cancelling from X date, and you're already paid up and to cancel your swipe card from that date. Then they can't legally bill you for services you told them IN ADVANCE that you didn't want, and you were no longer OBLIGED to accept under contract. The contract, after the initial 1-year period, now only states that you will pay for X services for X amount - if you no longer require those services just notify them and you have no obligation.

I've done it with Slender Health, Westwood, Imagine BB, and Total Fitness - never heard from them after an initial letter, which I ignored.

If you let them know that you don't want their service, they can't just provide it to you and then charge you afterwards. It would be like me mowing my neighbours lawn, then asking to be paid for it - he never asked for his lawn to be mowed!

There might be a notice period in the contract - have you considered this?

Failing to pay the last month will affect the OP's credit rating. OP needs to check what notice period there is, inform the gym (registered letter or e-mail with a follow-up call to ask for a reply to confirm receipt) that they are cancelling and pay for the last month.

Agreed - but he has to notify them (not simply cut off the DD) and he has to take into account any cancellation period that may exist.

Otherwise, it should all be pretty straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Newaglish wrote: »
    There might be a notice period in the contract - have you considered this?

Failing to pay the last month will affect the OP's credit rating. OP needs to check what notice period there is, inform the gym (registered letter or e-mail with a follow-up call to ask for a reply to confirm receipt) that they are cancelling and pay for the last month.

Not at all likely, very few organisations outside certain financial and governmental bodies can affect your credit rating. A gym doesn't fall into either of these groupings. Even your credit card company or bank can't impose a bad rating for this since any debt you may have is with the gym not the finance provider.

Failing to pay the last month will affect the OP's credit rating.

Wrong.

Sorry, I didn't mean credit rating (for which the company would have to be registered with the ICB)

What I mean is, they could be taken to court for outstanding fees, have a judgement registered against them and this would affect their ability to take out future loans.

It's just easier to say credit rating :p

@Forest Master, it's not terribly useful to quote someone's post and just hit "Wrong". I could have done that with yours, but I didn't.

@Forest Master, it's not terribly useful to quote someone's post and just hit "Wrong". I could have done that with yours, but I didn't.
    You were completely wrong though. Not paying your gym membership does not affect your credit rating, FFS - it's such a ludicrous statement that it didn't warrant any more than a 1-word rebuttal. It's hardly a debatable point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭nobeastsofierce

FFS - it's such a ludicrous statement that it didn't warrant any more than a 1-word rebuttal. It's hardly a debatable point!

Incorrect

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Very irresponsible advice,
    Odds are gym has a 30 day rolling contract at this stage in which case give 30 written notice via registered mail and then cancel DD, its not rocket science.

Best way to be 100% sure and read the T&C's though,,,,, :)

Cabaal wrote: »
    Very irresponsible advice,

Then tread my 2nd & more detailed reply right underneath it.

Then tread my 2nd & more detailed reply right underneath it.

It's still incorrect for the same reason as is posted right above you.

• Advertisement

That's enough internet ping pong from you lot. Stop it

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

dudara wrote: »
    You'll have to read the T&Cs of your contract, or else contact them directly.

However, assuming that the process is straightforward, I would suggest notifying them in writing that you are cancelling the contract with one month's notice. At the same time, make sure to inform your bank to cancel the direct debit following the last payment.

Yup that's the norm, you usually have to give them one month's notice in writing. So do this and then cancel the direct debit after the next payment just to be sure. If you cancel straight away not sure what happens, doubt they would pursue you for it anyway but might have other implications (even though I don't think it links into your credit history either via these management groups gyms have).

Advertisement