Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating the leaving cert.

• 11-03-2011 8:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭

I was thinking about doing this. I did the LC in 2000 and did very very bad. I passed it but just about. I didn't need to get any set amount of points so i didn't bother to study and barley passed which is something that has been nagging at me since. I want to do it again and really focus on it. My question is do you have to do 7 subjects or can i just do 3 or 4 subjects?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You can do as many or as few subjects as you want. Generally speaking, a pass at any level in 5 subjects is what is meant by having 'passed the Leaving'.

If you are looking for entry to a college course, you qualify as a mature student and may not need to re-sit the Leaving at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

spurious wrote: »
    You can do as many or as few subjects as you want. Generally speaking, a pass at any level in 5 subjects is what is meant by having 'passed the Leaving'.

If you are looking for entry to a college course, you qualify as a mature student and may not need to re-sit the Leaving at all.

Not looking to go to college, its just something that i didn't apply myself to and i am wondering what i could of got if i applied myself to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

DULLAHAN2 wrote: »
    Not looking to go to college, its just something that i didn't apply myself to and i am wondering what i could of got if i applied myself to it.

Well then there's no reason why you couldn't ease yourself into it - three subjects this year, maybe another three next year.
    I did the Leaving over thirty years ago, but I sat Art a few years ago and hope to do Music soon. I would also like to do JC Technical Graphics and Latin at some stage. You're never too old.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jenifa

DULLAHAN2 wrote: »
    I was thinking about doing this. I did the LC in 2000 and did very very bad. I passed it but just about. I didn't need to get any set amount of points so i didn't bother to study and barley passed which is something that has been nagging at me since. I want to do it again and really focus on it. My question is do you have to do 7 subjects or can i just do 3 or 4 subjects?

Hallo Dullahan, I also did a crummy leaving certificate the first time round and just about managed a pass. I choose to return this year a couple of years later. For the same reasons as yourself, just something unfinished in the back of my mind.

As long as you passed the obligatory subjects (Maths, Irish, English and a european language if you wish for university) you only need to sit what you choose, such as your strongest 6 subjects to achieve 600 so to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭apkbarry

jenifa wrote: »
    Hallo Dullahan, I also did a crummy leaving certificate the first time round and just about managed a pass. I choose to return this year a couple of years later. For the same reasons as yourself, just something unfinished in the back of my mind.

As long as you passed the obligatory subjects (Maths, Irish, English and a european language if you wish for university) you only need to sit what you choose, such as your strongest 6 subjects to achieve 600 so to say.

These need to be checked as per course, most courses only need you to do English OR Irish + Maths and sometimes an extra language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 jenifa

apkbarry wrote: »
    These need to be checked as per course, most courses only need you to do English OR Irish + Maths and sometimes an extra language.

Well I think irish is no longer obligatory anyhow, since that was one of Fine Gaels polices if elected..

Advertisement