Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Digital ~ Contract!!

• 11-03-2011 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hey all,
    Im going to keep this as short as i can.

My mother in laws sky box broke after Xmas. She rang sky who offered her Sky+ Hd box free with €30 installation.
    She asked would it affect her bill. She was told will be €5 extra per month for Hd subscription. (she hasnt a clue what hd is and thought he was talking about the box)

She agreed. Then got a bill for €48, her normal bill is €33 then add the €5 she was told it would cost = €38
    I looked at it and explained she had a hd subscription and it was discounted at €5 and not costing €5. She said the man on the phone told her it would be €5 on top of her bill.

So basically i rang sky for her and explained what happened that she hadnt really a clue what she was getting. I asked him to cancel the hd sub and he said no problem.

This morning she received a bill of €148 cancellation fee for cancelling hd sub before 12 months are up.

She was not told about any type of contract when she rang originally to get box replaced and i was not told anything either when i cancelled it for her.

Surely he should have told me when i was cancelling it? Plus she has been with sky about 10 years, just because she took out a hd sub (that she agreed to but really had no idea what the guy was giving her) should she have entered a new contract??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Ring sky and ask them WTF is going on?

Was it on the T&C's of the signed contract?

If they say that it was explained verbally that there would be a charge to cancel the HD sub, INSIST for a copy of the conversation as it was mis-sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Mom2Be

mullingar wrote: »
    Ring sky and ask them WTF is going on?

Was it on the T&C's of the signed contract?

If they say that it was explained verbally that there would be a charge to cancel the HD sub, INSIST for a copy of the conversation as it was mis-sold.

Thanks for the reply.
    Yes going to do that later today for her. Nothing was signed so hopefully can be sorted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The guy on the phone should have explained that once you take the HD Pack you automatically enter into a 12 month contract,even so you should have been charged only the €5 per month as was the original deal,ask for the recording of the original call when this deal was offered.That will soon have things sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭kelsca

HI,I cancelled HD sub within 30 days-as per Sky T&Cs.I also received letter stating €148 was due.I phoned Sky in Cork and was told to ignore that it was a computer glitch and the system was sending out these letters.The Sky rep assured me as I cancelled within 30 days,I would not be charged.

kelsca wrote: »
    HI,I cancelled HD sub within 30 days-as per Sky T&Cs.I also received letter stating €148 was due.I phoned Sky in Cork and was told to ignore that it was a computer glitch and the system was sending out these letters.The Sky rep assured me as I cancelled within 30 days,I would not be charged.

Thanks for that.. Havnt phoned them yet for her but will do it tomorrow. Fingers crossed its the same situation as you. Thanks again :)

• Advertisement

Update..

Kelsca you were spot on. I phoned them today and they explained that it must be a mailing error and that it was cancelled within the cooling off period. They said not to worry that only the normal amount will come out on payment day..

Thanks for the replies :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

To be safe, i'd only leave the correct monthly amount in the account for the next month or two, in case the system tries to take the cancellation fee.

kbell wrote: »
    To be safe, i'd only leave the correct monthly amount in the account for the next month or two, in case the system tries to take the cancellation fee.

I actually thought about that myself so asked the girl on the phone. She gave me her word that it would not and also gave me the time and date that the call was logged she was so sure it wouldnt happen so that i could go back on the recorded call.. She said and i quote "I am telling you to ignore the letter as i have checked all future bills and nothing about a cancellation fee on any of them"

Advertisement