Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tribes - Asended

Options
  • 11-03-2011 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭

Any old school pc gamers should be happy with the annoucement of Tribes: Ascend !
    Global Agenda maker Hi-Rez Studios has announced a new Tribes game, called Ascend.

Tribes: Ascend is a science-fiction online multiplater shooter developed using Epic's Unreal Engine 3. Hi-Rez calls it the multiplayer successor to Tribes 2 and the "re-introduction" of the franchise to the gaming world.

Ascend is a single-purchase digital download title due out late 2011 for PC and Xbox 360. Where's the PlayStation 3 version? Additional platforms are "currently under consideration".

Hi-Rez bought the Tribes IP in October 2010 and announced plans to launch a large scale persistent world shooter called Tribes Universe.

Ascend will launch before it, however.

"Before Halo, before Modern Warfare, and before Battlefield, there was Tribes," High-Rez COO Todd Harris said.

"Tribes fans appreciate the game's essence - athletic FPS combat combined with teamwork and strategy. As we began development of Tribes Universe, we focused first on capturing that essence - refining and modernising iconic elements like jetpacks, skiing, and vehicles.

"We've had tremendous fun play-testing and realized the potential of a multiplayer focused title ahead of Tribes Universe. The community has been waiting for a multiplayer shooter that is the modern successor to T2. Tribes: Ascend is that game.

This could be awesome tbh... anyone else excited with this news ? :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Loved Tribes 1, but after the Tribes 2 (blue screen of death cock up) and Tribes 3 ( just did not feel the same for me ). I will wait until we see some gameplay video and get feedback on it before I will get excited.

If it has the feel and gameplay of the first Tribes then I will look into picking it up, and if not then I'll pass.

Edit: Just read thats it's " the multiplayer successor to Tribes 2 " so I'll wait for the reviews and feedback from gamers first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Clover wrote: »
    Loved Tribes 1, but after the Tribes 2 (blue screen of death cock up) and Tribes 3 ( just did not feel the same for me ). I will wait until we see some gameplay video and get feedback on it before I will get excited.

If it has the feel and gameplay of the first Tribes then I will look into picking it up, and if not then I'll pass.

Edit: Just read thats it's " the multiplayer successor to Tribes 2 " so I'll wait for the reviews and feedback from gamers first.

Yeah its diffinately going to be a hit or miss game, we'll have to wait and see... apparently they're making an MMO aswel... which could be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

I loved Tribes 2, totally blew me away back then in the 56k days. Over the Christmas I played Global Agenda, I'm not gonna go on a big rant about it but it sucked pretty badly in the end.

One thing I kept thinking about while playing it however is how good the game could have been if it was more like TRIBES, and make it more of a PVP open world style game.

So I was pleasantly surprised when I read their forums and discovered they were actually making a tribes game. Global agenda was a disaster imo though so while I'm hopeful i'm also very wary for this new Tribes game, even more so seeing as its gonna be a console game too which by default means it wont be as good as it could be if it was PC only. Still I'll deffo be keeping an eye on it thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I heard good stuff about tribes, but this trailer sucks monkey balls!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

"Before Halo, before Modern Warfare, and before Battlefield, there was Tribes," High-Rez COO Todd Harris said.

Also way, way before High-Rez had anything to so with it as well :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Remember the first time i got an air-to-air Spinfusor kill, and the giant robot mods were always great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Was the big game alright till bf1942 stole its thunder (for me anyway) I loved the larger open maps with vehicles.

I never got to experience the best of it though , as t'was pretty iffy online with the 56k and most of my experience was playing it on lan with my mates.

But that game really needed numbers.

I remember the 1st time I got a proper game online with a decent amount of people, I spent a lot of the game taking screen shots I was so impressed with everything, full drop ships etc etc.

I remember climbing to the top of a mountain and standing right at the peek and taking a screen shot of an enemy drop ship, it started to fly towards me and I kept taking shots, then the pilot saw me and managed to fly into to me killing me with out hitting the mountain. I thought it was brilliant. I remember coming across that screen shot on my old pc a few years back too.

That incident is every day stuff now with modern gaming, hell in Desert Combat I could jump out of a plane while it was doing a loop and get back into it mid air as I fell down and it came back in the loop. But back playing Tribes 2 it was the 1st game I experienced with open areas and vehicles online so I was in pure glee when that happened, even though I was the one getting killed. :pac:

Must look for that screen shot again sometime.

Advertisement