Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting a Double Dimmer Switch

Options
  • 11-03-2011 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Just wonderng if this is straight forward before I go ahead. My situation is this.

Two ceiling lights in the Kitchen one at either end both operated independently by a double light switch like this.

istockphoto_11031143-double-light-switch-on-white.jpg

I want to replace it with this,

[Embedded Image Removed]

It seems to be straight forward to me as each has its own feed, but is it?
    I'm not worried about load, as only using max 2x100w bulbs at most.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

yes its straightforward
    just follow like with like
    one point
    they dont have their own feeds but there is a" common" link wire between the two switches
    have a look at the old one before you disconnect(maybe take a picture or mark the wires with a pen for reference)
    turn power off before you do anything

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

thanks for that, much appreciated.

Just about to do this now. This is pic of the old switch wiring.

kitchenswitch.jpg

There is a black wire behind that red wire and has its own terminal. Where should I connect the top single wires to......on the new switch below. Is it to the ~

NewSwitch.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Can you take a better picture of the switch including the black wire?

Do you have a single swich down at say the back door that can turn on one of the lights?

The black wire is going to terminal A1 if that helps. Red wire to terminal A and the two grey wires to terminal B.

Glad you mention about another switch by back door, I forgot all about that.

there is a double switch at the back door, one switch for the outside light and the other switches off one of the two ceiling lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Yea there's your problem. You've a two way switching set up. Are you referring to the outer PVC cover when you say two gray wires? Is the inner PVC red?

Yea there's your problem. You've a two way switching set up. Are you referring to the outer PVC cover when you say two gray wires? Is the inner PVC red?

Thanks for your help, yeah the outer covering. I will have a closer look at this tomorrow and find out the inner cable colours though a black can often be used instead of red if twin cable is used instead of single.

I'll put the phase tester on it and see if I can determine anymore detail.

kitchenswitch.jpg

All the wires are Red (except for the black of course)

The Black is always Live no matter what way the switches are.
    I never use the other switch at the back door.

Normally arn't all the wires in a light switch *live* wires eg no NEG ones present as appears to be the case here.

If thats the case is it safe to fit the dimmer switch and see what happens and if not right reverse some of the wires.

The Switch at Back Door: I could disconnect the feed wire to the light at this switch if that would make it easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

currently you have ( connect to )
    A switched live ( ~)
    a1 strapper ( L1)
    b1 strapper ( L2)

B Live and looped live (~)
    b2 switched live ( L1)

Turn power off for safety

thanks for that meercat I'll do it tomorrow and report back later
    (hopefully):D

• Advertisement

no fireworks to report anway:D up and running now and everything seems ok, just one light started to flicker and I found out that dimmers have a minimum load rating which was news to me.

I'm using a 60w and 40w at the moment but according to the diagram on back of dimmer switch it says 60-250W so I assume 60w is the mimimum watt bulb to use.

Cant get the switch to fit in place because little room for all the wiring so going to cut back the outer grey covering which hoperfully should solve the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭dar4

danjo-xx wrote: »
    no fireworks to report anway:D up and running now and everything seems ok, just one light started to flicker and I found out that dimmers have a minimum load rating which was news to me.

I'm using a 60w and 40w at the moment but according to the diagram on back of dimmer switch it says 60-250W so I assume 60w is the mimimum watt bulb to use.

Cant get the switch to fit in place because little room for all the wiring so going to cut back the outer grey covering which hoperfully should solve the problem.

ull need to install a deeper plastic switch flush box presumming theirs no earth do not tamper with the dimmer switch to check this measure from the plaster level to back of box in wall then check this againest the depht of dimmer back ull need 5mm at least clearance good luck

dar4 wrote: »
    ull need to install a deeper plastic switch flush box presumming theirs no earth do not tamper with the dimmer switch to check this measure from the plaster level to back of box in wall then check this againest the depht of dimmer back ull need 5mm at least clearance good luck

Had all ready checked the clearance needed and it seemed just about enough, anyway before starting to strip the outer cable I had one last go and I got lucky, job done. thanks lads.

Two weeks to fit a a dimmer switch does this get me into the Guinness Book of Records:D

Advertisement