Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man UTD v Arsenal (FA Cup Quarter Final: 5.15pm - ITV)

• 11-03-2011 9:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

151301.png
    Arsenal head to Manchester United for their FA Cup quarter-final in a clash where both teams have something to prove after bad weeks.

The Gunners were defeated by Barcelona in the UEFA Champions League in midweek, where despite scoring courtesy of a Sergio Busquets own goal, were comprehensively outplayed and beaten 3-1 without registering a single shot at goal.

Following their Carling Cup final defeat to Birmingham at the end of February, it leaves the Premier League and the FA Cup as Arsene Wenger's only targets to finally end their six-year trophy drought this season.

Despite not playing in the Champions League this week, United boss Sir Alex Ferguson will be desperate to silence the doubters and get back to winning ways against the most realistic challengers to their lead in the league.

Arsenal sit just three points back with a game in hand on their old rivals and victory for either team in the cup at Old Trafford could give them the psychological edge in the race for the title.

It has been a chastening week for United, with the Red Devils well beaten in a highly charged North West derby against Liverpool at Anfield last Sunday, where they lost 3-1.

The club opted to impose a media blackout following the encounter, with Ferguson only breaking his silence on Wednesday, keeping his comments to a minimum while he faces an FA reprimand over his words about referee Martin Atkinson following their 2-1 at Chelseafive days before the Liverpool clash.

Team news

Portuguese winger Nani will also miss out for United after suffering a deep gash in his leg from Jamie Carragher's challenge during the Liverpool game and will not return until after the international break at the end of March.

United captain Rio Ferdinand is also still out as he looks to recover from a calf injury in an injury-blighted season for the 32-year-old.

Captain Nemanja Vidic will return to the backline after serving a one-match ban against Liverpool and is likely to partner Chris Smalling following Wes Brown's poor showing at Anfield.

Johnny Evans should return to the bench for United after recovering from his injury.

Arsenal, meanwhile, will definitely be without skipper Cesc Fabregas, who was rushed back for the clash at Barcelona, but ended up being a fall guy as his sloppy backheel cost his team the first goal by Lionel Messi.
    Robin van Persie, who was harshly sent off for kicking the ball away at Camp Nou, is set to play and will captain the team in Fabregas' absence.

Manuel Almunia is likely to start in goal after Wojciech Szczesny was withdrawn in the first half with a dislocated finger on Tuesday.

Theo Walcott (ankle), midfielder Alex Song (knee) and centre-half Thomas Vermaelen (Achilles) all remain unavailable for the Gunners.

Both teams will be looking to bounce back and both are have their injury problems, I'm hoping for a crackin' match tbh and I think UTD will win.

Anyone know if Park is back for UTD, he'd be a great boost for us.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It was decided that Arsenal get the FA cup and Utd get the PL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Should be a good game.
    I'll say Arsenal to knick it..ahh what the heck, Arsenal to win 3-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Have got a feeling this horrible run for Arsenal aint gonna end this weekend.

2-0 to UTD :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

i reckon 2-1 arsenal i just have a feeling utds season is taking a turn for the worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Both teams on a bit of a bad run. I think ours is gonna last a bit longer, Arsenal to go through :(.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

5-5 after et

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Rooney time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

No Fab or Shezzer.6 nil Arsenal....9 nil if Bendtner is anywhere North of Reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Comfortable win for Utd IMO.

Utd will play strong team as Fergie has said and Arsenal will have had the disadvantage of having travelled to Barcelona and chasing shadows for 90 mins. That's if they don't play their second team. Added to this, Old Trafford has been a fortress this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Really can't see past a United win. We're going to play a very weakened team I reckon. A big loss is going to destroy any confidence we have left, Fergie knows this so I wouldn't be suprised to see him put out a strong team and batter us. I'm terrified of the thought of Hernandez starting with who we will prob have at CB.

At a guess:

Almunia
    Sagna
    Squillaci
    Miquel
    Gibbs
    Diaby
    Wilshere
    Bendtner
    Rosicky
    Arshavin
    Chamakh

This game is coming about a week or two too early for Ramsey, would have loved to see him get a chance tomorrow. I reckon there's a good chance Koscielny will get the nod ahead of Miquel for this one.

• Advertisement

Would Denilson not get a look in tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Will probably be one of himself or Diaby. Although Wenger might want to give Wilshere a break as he's played a fúckload of football this year so in that case we could see Denilson and Diaby.

Yeah if you have Chico to contend with, might be safer to have a DM in front of the two CB's, think Denilson would fill that role better than Diaby, as you say maybe play both and let Diaby push forward.
    Should be a good game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

papagormo wrote: »
    Yeah if you have Chico to contend with, might be safer to have a DM in front of the two CB's, think Denilson would fill that role better than Diaby, as you say maybe play both and let Diaby push forward.
    Should be a good game

How is a DM going to directly affect Chico's game? He plays on the shoulder of the last defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,528 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

It's funny that Arsenal fans are already seeing htis as a United win. As a United fan I can't see past an Arsenal win.
    Both sides are in dismal form, sure somethings got to give, but United are just missing far too many first team players to be able to live with Arsenal at the moment, even if Fabregas and Van Persie aren't in Arsenal's 11 I can see Arsenal winning and possibly humiliating United while they're at it, and why not strike while the opportunity is there?
    It's hard to see an energetic performance from United and I feel Arsenal will make the most of that.:(

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

If it was at the emirates I'd agree with you.
    At OT, I fully expect United to win this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Predator_

Fairly 50/50 I must say. Arsenal are playing a bit better then Utd at the moment but Utd are playing at home, tough to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Predator_ wrote: »
    Fairly 50/50 I must say. Arsenal are playing a bit better then Utd at the moment but Utd are playing at home, tough to call.

Agreed. I'd like Arsenal to lose only because I'd like them to win the league and I can't see them challenging for both with a team so riddled with injuries coupled with an inconsistant form.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Lukker- wrote: »
    5-5 after et
    It goes to a replay after 90 :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

7 days until WBA Wenger will put out a fairly handy side, RVP will start and Captain the team IMO I reckon Wilshere and Diaby will start too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I'm just looking forward to an alright game, hopefully United can kick on from the Liverpool game and start winning again. Don't know what the score will be, but I actually don't think United will lose this, contrary to other United supporters.

But I'm going to hate seeing United playing with only one proper winger, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Poxy rugby match on around the same time. Not a hope of catching the game in a pub.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Any team news?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

#AFC team to play #mufc: almunia - sagna, djourou, koscielny, gibbs - denilson, diaby, wilshere - nasri, van persie, arshavin

Arsenal have a Strong team there

Headshot wrote: »
    Arsenal have a Strong team there

Yup basically full strength. Surprised that bendtner is on the bench.

Arsenal Bench: - Shea, Squillaci, Rosicky, Ramsey, Chamakh, Eboue, Bendtner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Poxy rugby match on around the same time. Not a hope of catching the game in a pub.

It's on ITV if that's any use.

#MUFC team v #AFC: VDS, Rafael, Smalling, Vidic, Evra, Fabio, Brown, O'Shea, Gibson, Rooney, Hernandez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Have no interest in watching this game now.

Utter joke of a team.

VDS; Brown, Smalling, Vidic, Evra; Rafael, Gibson, O'Shea, Fabio; Rooney, Hernandez

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Jaysus...midfield contains 3 defenders. Valencia on bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Going to go for an Arsenal win here. 1-0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Predator_

Joke of a midfield

****. But... Giggs, Scholes, Berba and VALENCIA on the bench. Nice one!

If we're against the ropes atleast we've a very good emergency back up.

Chance of a replay with Utd's defensive team but I think they will nick it 1-0

gibson starts BangingHeadAgainstKeyboardStreetSig.gif

Im going for an Arsenal win here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

7-1-2 formation for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Jaysus, 7 defenders in Uniteds line up!!

O Shea is going to be one busy boy in midfield trying to cope with the Arsenal midfield with Gibson 20 yards ahead of the ball all the time.

Arsenal to dominate and probably win.

What kind of fúcking team is that!? If you're gonna díck about with the line up at least give some of the kids a run out for fúck sake.

The only plus from this game will be a possible appearance from Valencia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Headshot wrote: »
    gibson starts BangingHeadAgainstKeyboardStreetSig.gif

Im going for an Arsenal win here

Fcuksake HS. You look at that line up and Gibson starting is what you get pissed at?:rolleyes: Two full backs on the wings and John O'Shea in midfield get to me far more. Espeically John O'Shea.

Oh, another plus is Rafael on the right, that will be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

What kind of fúcking team is that!? If you're gonna díck about with the line up at least give some of the kids a run out for fúck sake.

The only plus from this game will be a possible appearance from Valencia.

Agreed on that though it still wouldn't surprised me to see a United win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

LOl, 7 defenders.

A revolutionary 7-1-2 formation from Fergie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

I can see fabio playing cm today maybe ? .
    Brown vidic smalling oshea
    Rafael fabio gibson evra
    Maybe just maybe ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Strange team but I'm kind of looking forward to seeing the two brazillians bombing down the wings. Hopefully Fabio doesn't pick up another knock!

We probably had no choice but to play a team like that, out injuries have us held back big time. All of you should feck off with you negativity and wait and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Jesus, thats some team we've picked.

I'm a little worried tbh and its well and good having back up on the bench but max of 3 of them can be used... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

I wish Darron Gibson would just get the hint and F*ck off.

I reckon Gibson will score though.

Fcuksake HS. You look at that line up and Gibson starting is what you get pissed at?:rolleyes: Two full backs on the wings and John O'Shea in midfield get to me far more. Espeically John O'Shea.

lol :D

For some reason im not worried that much about raf, fabio and oshea, I think the twins will do a grand job and oshea can do a good job in CM, scored a peach of a goal against Arsenal in that position before iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Lukker- wrote: »
    5-5 after et

Paddypower paying out 350/1 if it's 4-4 by 90mins. You could be on to a nice earner :D

Edit: They also have 25/1 on 3-2 Utd, and 35/1 on 3-2 Arsenal. Has to be worth a fiver on each :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

It will be interesting to see if the defenders in midfield idea could work. It gives lots of extra options for later games if it does

• Advertisement
Advertisement