Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man UTD v Arsenal (FA Cup Quarter Final: 5.15pm - ITV)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

TheTownie wrote: »
    Great game to try out our new revolutionary 3-3-3-1 formation! :pac::P

Based on the players selected, that is how I would like to see it line up, think it would give us a better attacking base than 442. I think the back 3 is well balanced. The two wing backs should be fine, with O'Shea being able to move to either flank depending on which side needs support. Fabio has played MC/AMC (and done well) for the reserves a good bit this season, so he should be ok in that midfield role. His attacking is better than his defending imo. Gibson and Rooney in midfield would still be a problem, but we could get away with it, maybe.

Plenty time for Berbasex on Tuesday! :pac:

Edit: Says a lot about Obertan that hes not starting! (unless theres something we are not aware of i.e injury etc.)

Berbs will def start on Tuesday I reckon. With the midfield issues, Rooney is either going to be central midfield or on the wing Tuesday night imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Based on the players selected, that is how I would like to see it line up, think it would give us a better attacking base than 442. I think the back 3 is well balanced. The two wing backs should be fine, with O'Shea being able to move to either flank depending on which side needs support. Fabio has played MC/AMC (and done well) for the reserves a good bit this season, so he should be ok in that midfield role. His attacking is better than his defending imo. Gibson and Rooney in midfield would still be a problem, but we could get away with it, maybe.

Agreed, considering whats available/needs resting you might as well experiment a bit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Maybe SAF has lost it - he's about to give an interview :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I just seen the team and we are starting with 7 defenders !! whats going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

only use 10 players, now that's cocky:D

eh some one can't count that formation does have XI players :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Shockingly negative formation by Utd .
    Conceding the majority of possession to a team that were given a lesson on how to maintain possession during the week by Barcelona .
    Barca had ~70% possession against Arsenal.Arsenal will have about 60% possession today .
    Says it all about how Uniteds footballing ethos has changed dramatically over the last 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

Looks like long ball tactics from Fergie. Go on Chicharito!

Also it is clear from the team selection that Fergie has an eye on Tues.

Champions League > F.A Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

eh some one can't count that formation does have XI players :P

it was when i quoted it, but i didn't allow for some peoples god like abilities:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

O'Shea & Gibson in the centre of midfield. Jesus wept.

Don't mind so much about the twins on the wings as it is difficult to fill the gap with Nani & Park out. I feel we are gonna get slaughtered in the middle though. Thank God Fabs isn't playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

enviro wrote: »
    Looks like long ball tactics from Fergie.

Thats crazy from Sir Alec.......playing to Arsenals strengths :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Conceding the majority of possession to a team that were given a lesson on how to maintain possession during the week by Barcelona .
    Barca had ~70% possession against Arsenal.Arsenal will have about 60% possession today .
    Says it all about how Uniteds footballing ethos has changed dramatically over the last 5 years.

They really have very little option with Carrick, Fletch, Ando, Nani, Valencia, Park injured and Giggs and Scholes being kept back for Europe on Tuesday. A bit odd to say they've conceded possession before the game kicks off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Yes people, we are starting with 7 defenders, but only 4 of them are playing in defence, get it yet?

Have you been asleep the last few weeks??

We have a depleted squad due to injuries/players needing a rest due to a more important CL match on Tuesday.

Sir Alex would have given the youngsters a go if it wasn't for the Youth Cup game tomorrow so I think it is a very understandable line up in the circumstances.

flahavaj wrote: »
    They really have very little option with Carrick, Fletch, Ando, Nani, Valencia, Park injured and Giggs and Scholes being kept back for Europe on Tuesday. A bit odd to say they've conceded possession before the game kicks off.

Also, FA Youth Cup Quater Final vs Liverpool so Tunnicliffe, Pogba and Morrison possibly not considered due to that, though I'd have been shocked to see them in the midfield anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Nailz wrote: »
    Yes people, we are starting with 7 defenders, but only 4 of them are playing in defence, get it yet?

God it's like a total reverse of last season when we had no defenders except Evra fit at one point!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Explain it to me again?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Looking at that team and guessing that Raf & Fab will act as two wingers dropping back to make a five man defence when we don't have the ball I cant help but think Fergie has pinched Kennys formation that pool used so effectively last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Good to see the old Boro rejects on the panel. :pac:

• Advertisement

Ya one more time please.

with pictures

Could be looking to take the Inter Milan vs Barcelona blueprint, you don't know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Looking at that team and guessing that Raf & Fab will act as two wingers dropping back to make a five man defence when we don't have the ball I cant help but think Fergie has pinched Kennys formation that pool used so effectively last week.

But United are starting with a flat back four. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Utd could be very dangerous on the break with the pace out wide and from Chicho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

For some reason I still find it brilliant that we have identical twins playing on the same team :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

ATTACK - ATTACK - ATTACK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

if the 2 da silvas can bomb in crosses rooney and hernandez could do well in the air

The twins on the wings with be great.. there speed will be killer.

Strange line up for Man United. I'd be surprised if Arsenal don't beat Man United here today.

Explain it to me again?

Full Moon! Half Moon! TOTAL ECILIPSE !!

50273_311721456765_7996259_n.jpg

:pac::pac::pac:

Wenger..
    Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger on what he expects from Manchester United in their FA Cup quarter-final: "They always play always against us with a very tight midfield, try to put pressure on us from midfield, and in December (in the Premier League) they had only Wayne Rooney up front, so I think they always set up against us to defend well. However, I wouldn't say they are scared. They have no reason to be scared because they have enough experience."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Explain it to me again?
    You know exactly what I'm saying MM, some folks around here are saying things like 'That's a very negative formation' and 'Starting with 7 defender, that's very negative' and simular codswallop to that. We are playing with a back 4, not a back 7, the only reason United are playing 7 defenders is because we had no choice but to play 3 of them in midfield, and I think they'll do a job there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

One quick question before kick off, how come United are playing 7 defenders????????????:confused::confused::confused::confused:

hahaha love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I'd be less concerned with o Shea then I would be with Gibson Ferguson must love him and his versatility it's probably been detrimental to him nailing down one position but it has helped United win so many matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

NeVeR wrote: »
    Ya one more time please.

with pictures

Hodgson, is that you?

adox wrote: »
    One quick question before kick off, how come United are playing 7 defenders????????????:confused::confused::confused::confused:

read all of the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

I have a major craving for jaffa cakes now :mad:

Did they wait for Chico to say his prayers first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Hernandez getting his God on.

Love it.

Hodgson, is that you?

I said pictures not play doh :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Thought they should have done a minute's silence

Bets on Rafa getting sent off?

adox wrote: »

It's in Fergies "100 things to do before I retire " :p

"Best two teams in the country"

Debatable that.

Pauleta wrote: »
    I have a major craving for jaffa cakes now :mad:

jaffa.jpg

What about now??

:pac::pac:

Thought they should have done a minute's silence