Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rocking Chair

Options
  • 11-03-2011 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hey folks, I'm thinking of making a rocking chair as a present for my father. My question is as follows;

Is there particular radius for the rockers? Or is there a ratio between the height of the legs and the radius of the rockers?

Thanks in advance, all and any advice would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

CH
    Not an expert by any stretch but I have put a few together.
    Rockers are tricky. Much thought and a few pencils are chewed in the process. :)

The devil is in the details as they say. Take the time and be exact, all the rails and stretchers precisely the right lengths, all the mortises drilled the same depths, and the mortises/tenons on the back rails all in the same plane. Dry fitting the back is absolutely a necessary assembly step. Since it has four cross pieces, it becomes the basis for the rest of the chair being level. Rarely (IME) does a chair sit level after it has being put together (glued up), so most chair makers level the seat by finding the three shortest legs and hanging the longest off a flat assembly table, then mark and cut.

Traditional, modern or a combination design ? Which timber species? Keep us posted.

This maker's web site has a wealth of good info. regarding the radius of rockers.

http://rockingchairuniversity.com/Pages/rocking_chair_rocker_radius.html

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I have one,a shop bought one,not very comfortable,and I'd be nervous doing the rocking,seems a bit unstable. If there are plans out there for a standard one,I'd widen it a bit,just enough for a big cushion.You Dad will thank you.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭centre half

Thanks Double Barrell

I am a Carpenter/Joiner and Wood Machinist by trade(s), so I do understand the difficulties involved in making a chair, or more importantly, getting it to go together right. I did also read that link you posted, I did find it very interesting. I also was reading some other plans and the radius given for the rockers was a mile off the pi method that fella uses.

I would like to go traditional but it will probably end up being a combination of both traditional and modern. I would love to make a version of this as he's great with all the grandchildren

http://www.swiss-miss.com/wp-content/uploads/legacy/photos/uncategorized/big_family_rocking_chair.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

The Swiss would be quite an undertaking for a first rocker, more power to you.;)

CH
    I had an old Kennedy “Carolina Rocker” style rocker (P & P Chair Company ) that I used as a pattern so I did not have to do the math on the first few. Later a set of plans was purchased from ??? (similar to this) in the States for an Arts & Crafts style but when a one to one (full scale) drawing was done the chair did not sit right for my eye so I went looking and found Hal Taylor. His system (math) works.
    Arts & Crafts Rocker: http://www.gorillaglue.com/Portals/0/pdfs/Project%20Plans/Project%20Plans%202/WJ098%20Rocking%20Chair%20FINAL.pdf

There is a Hal Taylor protégé living and working in NI. :)
    http://www.rkernohanfurniture.com/
    http://www.rkernohanfurniture.com/rocking-chair-gallery/fullsize/kauri-rchair-fitting-rockers_fs.jpg

My Rocking-Chair
    When I am old and worse for wear
    I want to buy a rocking-chair,
    And set it on a porch where shine
    The stars of morning-glory vine;
    With just beyond, a gleam of grass,
    A shady street where people pass;
    And some who come with time to spare,
    To yarn beside my rocking-chair.
    Then I will light my corn-cob pipe
    And dose and dream and rarely gripe.
    My morning paper on my knee
    I won't allow to worry me.
    For if I know the latest news
    Is bad,--to read it I'll refuse,
    Since I have always tried to see
    The side of life that clicks with glee.

And looking back with days nigh done,
    I feel I've had a heap of fun.
    Of course I guess that more or less
    It's you yourself make happiness
    And if your needs are small and few,
    Like me you may be happy too:
    And end up with a hope, a prayer,
    A chuckle in a rocking-chair.

Robert William Service

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

i would of thought that the radius would depend on the angle you want tye chair to sit at and how far you want it to rock to and from

just as a small bit of advise dont use radius as the set out would take alot of space

use an arck formula instead you would of learnt a few in tech drawing

i cant seem to get the formula up by usein the i pbone sorry

• Advertisement
Advertisement