Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC - want to cancel but still in contract.

Options
  • 12-03-2011 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, so as the title says, I want to cancel my UPC account, but am still in contract with them (well, the mother is, and she wants to cancel).

The reasons for this are -

1. The internet hasn't worked for over 2 months now, despite them replacing the USB stick. When it DID work, it was never anywhere near the 10mb speed we were promised, it was like 1mb most of the time. Every time we call them, they just tell us to reset or reboot the modem, which I've done plenty of times and it obviously doesn't work as it's been 2 months now!

2. We were told that the phone would be completely separate to the broadband and TV with regards to charging/plugging in. However, we have to keep a plug switched on all night to keep the phone working. When it's not plugged in, it doesn't work. We have to keep our internet modem on at the same time, the two have to be on together for the phone to work and as my mother needs the phone on at all times (she's disabled and needs the phone in case of emergencies), the electricity bill is huge. We were promised the phone would be completely separate to the modem.

3. The TV cuts out occasionally. This isn't too much of a problem as it hasn't happened in ages.

We have contacted them more times than I can count about the broadband, which is the main issue. They sent an engineer out, he gave us a new USB and set it up again on the computer and it worked - for about 2 days. Now, it says it's connected to the internet while not actually being connected, or it will just not detect any wireless networks when there are 2 UPC networks we should be able to use.

Do we have a case for cancelling the contract without a penalty? I think we do because I'm pretty sure that they're not upholding the contract on their end by not providing the service we've paid for (but are still happy to bill us for!), but I'm not 100% sure.

Also, any way we could request money back from the bill that came in the other day? Not all of it, because obviously we have used the phone and tv, but the internet didn't work for the entire billing period, bar the few days after the engineer came out.

Any advice (and suggestions for a good broadband company!) would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Yes ,you do have the right to end the contract without penalty as the service for which you contracted for is not been provided. However you need to go through the steps, and record all efforts made to resolve the issue and the results. The best thing you can do is to contact UPC and ask to speak with a manager and explain your difficulties with the product and explain that you cannot continue to pay for a service for which they appear unable to provide. This should entice them to resolve the issue, and you should allow them to do so as long as it is within a reasonable time frame, and have them agree if this does not work that the contract will be ended immediately.
    As to the issue ,I don't think that the phone could ever work with out the modem been switched on ,as I think that these services use a VOIP type phone. But the modem been powered on all the time should not effect you ESB bill that much as they do not draw much power.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

If they can't fix your technical issue with the broadband not working, then you're entitled to leave without penalty. But you have to go through the process of them trying whatever they can until it eventually comes to "We've tried everything and we cant fix it."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Hey, so as the title says, I want to cancel my UPC account, but am still in contract with them (well, the mother is, and she wants to cancel).

The reasons for this are -

1. The internet hasn't worked for over 2 months now, despite them replacing the USB stick. When it DID work, it was never anywhere near the 10mb speed we were promised, it was like 1mb most of the time. Every time we call them, they just tell us to reset or reboot the modem, which I've done plenty of times and it obviously doesn't work as it's been 2 months now!

2. We were told that the phone would be completely separate to the broadband and TV with regards to charging/plugging in. However, we have to keep a plug switched on all night to keep the phone working. When it's not plugged in, it doesn't work. We have to keep our internet modem on at the same time, the two have to be on together for the phone to work and as my mother needs the phone on at all times (she's disabled and needs the phone in case of emergencies), the electricity bill is huge. We were promised the phone would be completely separate to the modem.

3. The TV cuts out occasionally. This isn't too much of a problem as it hasn't happened in ages.

We have contacted them more times than I can count about the broadband, which is the main issue. They sent an engineer out, he gave us a new USB and set it up again on the computer and it worked - for about 2 days. Now, it says it's connected to the internet while not actually being connected, or it will just not detect any wireless networks when there are 2 UPC networks we should be able to use.

Do we have a case for cancelling the contract without a penalty? I think we do because I'm pretty sure that they're not upholding the contract on their end by not providing the service we've paid for (but are still happy to bill us for!), but I'm not 100% sure.

Also, any way we could request money back from the bill that came in the other day? Not all of it, because obviously we have used the phone and tv, but the internet didn't work for the entire billing period, bar the few days after the engineer came out.

Any advice (and suggestions for a good broadband company!) would be greatly appreciated.

Op,

It sounds more like you may have an issue with you computer than UPC, this is beyond UPC's responsiblity (I.E your using a USB Wireless Device) is there Wireless already builtin to the Laptop, most laptops would have this.

Also with wireless you may have black spots in older houses due to thick walls.

The requirement for the modem to be on all the time is normal, although not massively expensive to run it costs around 4 euros per month.

IMO you would have the exact same issues with other providers as it sounds like the issue is with the WiFi in the house rather than the actual internet connection.

The support you have recieved from UPC is above and beyond what other companies would offer (Dealing with the Wifi connection on the laptop etc)

When you say "theres should be 2 connections you should be able to use" what do you mean ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

But you have to go through the process of them trying whatever they can until it eventually comes to "We've tried everything and we cant fix it."

You must give them the opportunity to fix the service in a reasonable time and if they do not do this then they are voiding their own contract by not supplying the advertised service.

Keep notes of all calls and write to them giving full details of the problems and what has been tried so far to fix the problem. Do speed tests and keep a record of the results as this will show the level of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

if your phone works then your internet should also work (as the phone is via the internet)

one thing you could do is tell them that you wish to cancel because of their recent increase in price of services -while not technically true...u could have them cancel without any issues. (thats assuming you were affected by higher prices)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

LyndaMcL wrote: »

The issue is with the connection between your computer and the router (The modem that connects to the cable). There doesn't appear to be any issue with the internet actually arriving in to your home but more so an issue with your computer connecting to the modem. I don't think that would be grounds for cancellation or refund as UPC are providing you with the service you're paying for. As for speed, UPC advertise 10Mb (Megabit). The speed you see on your computer is measured in MB (Megabyte / Capitalised B).

As far as I know the phone is entirely dependent on their internet service. That shouldn't really be a problem as routers/modems take up a miniscule about of electricity. I've had the router in my house running for months on end without being switched off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Is there an ethernet socket on the UPC modem/router? If so, then the OP should take out the usb stick on the computer and connect the ethernet cable instead. That should prove if the problem is inside the house or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

The issue is with the connection between your computer and the router (The modem that connects to the cable). There doesn't appear to be any issue with the internet actually arriving in to your home but more so an issue with your computer connecting to the modem. I don't think that would be grounds for cancellation or refund as UPC are providing you with the service you're paying for. As for speed, UPC advertise 10Mb (Megabit). The speed you see on your computer is measured in MB (Megabyte / Capitalised B).

As far as I know the phone is entirely dependent on their internet service. That shouldn't really be a problem as routers/modems take up a miniscule about of electricity. I've had the router in my house running for months on end without being switched off.

Yup, I haven't restarted my UPC Modem in months.

Also it works out cheaper than a landline as your not paying line rental.

For emergencys i'd use my Mobile rather than rely on VoIP

Advertisement