Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daughter hit by car near Claddagh Church

Options
  • 12-03-2011 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

On Thursday, daughter was walking near the Claddagh church on the left side of the road, going towards the swamp.

A female in a black 10 G VW golf heading towards the swamp also,was too close to the LHS of the road. As result, the passenger side wing mirror struck my daughter on the elbow.

The driver immediately increased speed and drove away; failing to stop.

This has been reported to the guards and they are looking at CCTV footage from cameras on all possible routes leading to the claddagh.

To the female driver of the golf, you will be identified !!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Shouldn't be too hard to track it down through vehicle reg office, considering the low amount of cars reg last year.....should be really easy for cop to do
    Hope shes ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Hope the daughter is OK. Is it a possibility though that the driver mightn't have seen it?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Daughter was with a friend and a guy from a near-by house came on the scene. Both said the driver increased speed when contact was made.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Hope you daughter's ok OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Went to A&E, X-ray was not conclusive, appointment for orthopedics(sp) in Merlin on Monday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Blatant hit and run.
    Gardaí do not take this as a minor accident. Your daughter could have been seriously hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

Hope your daughter is a-ok op.

It's sad to hear that someone knew they hit a person with their car, and then instead of stopping and checking if they were ok/injured, they put the foot down...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Hope this ****er gets nailed for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

It'll be p*ss easy to trace that car. Piece in the paper at Christmas with a breakdown of cars sold last year in galway... Think there were about 70 golfs. Im sure not all were black, and they can speed things up by checking only west city addresses first. Hope your daughter is ok OP. Do let us know when driver is identified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

I cannot believe how irresponsible some people are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    I cannot believe how irresponsible some people are.

I know similar thing happen twice in recent months down in Wexford with people driving up onto footpath in one incident a pram was hit and sent fllying into a garden the child was unharmed thank god and the driver of the car was later found after driving away.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

TheUsual wrote: »
    Gardaí do not take this as a minor accident. Your daughter could have been seriously hurt.

I wish that was the truth.

OP your very lucky they got the reg of the car.

I was knocked down in 2009 at a roundabout in Galway. Ended up unconscious in the road. Was taken to hospital and when the gards eventually turned up I was asked if I wanted to make a statement, and they made it sound like the most pointless thing in the world. They shrugged their shoulders and actually said 'hit and run, not much we can do'.

I went in weeks later after trying to get in touch many times and they gave me about 5 mins to make a statement before we were interrupted and the young gard taking the statement said 'sorry got to go we are going out in the car' like someone had just offered to take him to the circus. Obviously going on in the car was far more exciting than listening to my pointless statement.

Said they would be in touch, said they would follow up with 3 or 4 witnesses who got most but not all of the reg and a description of the car.

That was the last I heard from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Little My wrote: »
    I was knocked down in 2009 at a roundabout in Galway. Ended up unconscious in the road. Was taken to hospital and when the gards eventually turned up I was asked if I wanted to make a statement, and they made it sound like the most pointless thing in the world. They shrugged their shoulders and actually said 'hit and run, not much we can do'.

Shocking really - hope the OP gets better help somehow I doubt it

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

TheUsual wrote: »
    Blatant hit and run.
    Gardaí do not take this as a minor accident.....

Can you back this up?
    Tbh an Garda don't care too much unless it's a life-threatening injury, the garda is a relation or you kick up a major stink.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

snubbleste wrote: »
    Can you back this up?
    Tbh an Garda don't care too much unless it's a life-threatening injury, the garda is a relation or you kick up a major stink.

RTCs are *always* followed up on in this Garda district. Always.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Ev84

She (the driver) is a scumbag for not stopping, I hope she is caught and best wishes to your daughter in recovering...
    Had it been my daughter i would be absolutely FUMING :mad:

If the cops don't do anything about it, you should try and get a letter published in the media - highlight the fact that they didn't bother and it would hopefully force them to save face.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

RTCs are *always* followed up on in this Garda district. Always.

Not been my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

snubbleste wrote: »
    Can you back this up?
    I think you'll find that's incorrect.
    Alot of injuries may not look life threatening but there can be hidden dangers to an injury which may result in more serious injury later on or in extreme cases death.
    Now i know this is extremely unlikely with an elbow injury but none the less the gardai should and i'd imagine will take it very seriously if they have enough evidence to proceed.
    OP i genuinely hope your daughter only has minor injuries and recovers ASAP
    Please let us know how she is.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I had minor damage done to my car a few months ago. Dont really want to go into detail on a public forum but it was so minor it cost me less than €20 to rectify.

I rang Salthill GS about it, dunno who I spoke to, and left it at that. Didnt expect to hear from them again, but a few months later, I got a call from a very nice Garda who explained that they solved the crime. Someone who they caught in robbing houses also confessed when it was put to them about my car. It was almost comical the seriousness and respect with which they treated my minor damage, explaining when this person was likely to go to court, how I didnt have to attend, and if I wanted further feedback /information how to best go about it.

I have had other encounters with Gardai in Galway over the years - parking tickets /lapsed tax, (tut, tut!) where they had me bang to rights, yet I have been treated with courtesy and respect too.

My guess is that with the establishment of the obudsman, and increasing awareness of accountability, that more 'customer service' type procedures have been put in place, or perhaps training in 'people skills'?

In any event, it would surprise me greatly if the Gardai didnt pursue this further. Its a hit and run involving a child. I cant see Gardai being any way lenient on someone who f**ked off at the scene. That drivers first instinct was to put the foot down and escape. Somewhere in this city there is some woman who does not care if she injured a child. What a horrible person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Was your daughter walking on the footpath or on the road? Theres no path opposite the church and people often walk on the road. Of course that doesn't mean that they should get hit by a car or that someone should leave the scene but it's a dangerous thing for people to be doing.

Hope your daughter is ok. I saw some gob****e in a people carrier knock someone off their bike in the same spot without even noticing. She was too busy admiring her yellow hair and gucci sunglasses in the mirror to pay attention to the people she was plowing through with her Toyota Hiroshima. But to notice and not stop? I would be able to sleep worrying about the pedestrian.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

dafunk wrote: »

I saw some gob****e in a people carrier knock someone off their bike in the same spot without even noticing. She was too busy admiring her yellow hair and gucci sunglasses in the mirror to pay attention to the people she was plowing through with her Toyota Hiroshima
    Were you in the car with her?
    God bless your eyesight:D

Theres a database of reg numbers now. The tolls, car shops, insurance companies etc all have access to it. There's no reason why the guards couldn't have had that info in about ten minutes. How many 10 G reg VWs of that colour could be registered here? Chances are it's a Galway city west resident, the guards should have and could have had a list of potential suspects within minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

Little My wrote: »
    I wish that was the truth.

OP your very lucky they got the reg of the car.

I went in weeks later after trying to get in touch many times and they gave me about 5 mins to make a statement before we were interrupted and the young gard taking the statement said 'sorry got to go we are going out in the car' like someone had just offered to take him to the circus. Obviously going on in the car was far more exciting than listening to my pointless statement.

Said they would be in touch, said they would follow up with 3 or 4 witnesses who got most but not all of the reg and a description of the car.

That was the last I heard from them.

Id second that, you will have to call them and hound them daily if you want a result. My partner was jumped on a few years back randomly, i was htere and plenty of witnesses. The guy in question was high and known to Gardaí. We got his address and work place and all the details they needed to pres charges, my partner suffered a fractured spine as well as other injuries. About a week later when we asked howcome he is still out on the treets, they informed us they called to his place of work and he wasnt there..... (we saw him there or I did my partner was in hospital obviously). A month later we were told he is out of our jurisdiction cos he moved home to his family still county galway but not city. Soon he left for UK we found out he had previous GBH o no wonder he ran... but like 3 months after he incident! Not only that because I was a wreck and not fit to talk at the scene they refused to take me to the hospital with my partner and dragged him from the floor unconcious slumped him into the back of the squad car and dumped him in A&E in a wheel chair. A kind taxi driver also a witness kindly brought me I had no money as my partner had it. He kindly gave me a free lift to a&E and gave me 2 solphadol. To this day I wish I could thank that man. In a&e I was told my partner was left there by the guards as a "john doe" and they presumed he was just drunk as he was no coherent... they soon kicked into actin when I told them. I used to respect the Guards as a whole till that day.

Anyway my point keep onto them! Sorry for rant.

amiable wrote: »
    Were you in the car with her?
    God bless your eyesight:D

Heheh. They could have been imitations, I'm not the type to know the difference but I am stereotyping of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

My guess is that with the establishment of the obudsman, and increasing awareness of accountability, that more 'customer service' type procedures have been put in place, or perhaps training in 'people skills'?

In any event, it would surprise me greatly if the Gardai didnt pursue this further. Its a hit and run involving a child.

I hope you are right!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Op, is your daughter a minor or an adult? Sorry to hear this regardless :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

OP, its quite possible that even if all 10 G golf owners are interviewed that the culprit (if they happen to be interviewed) will flat deny being responsible or even being near the location and you cant beat a confession out of them, In the absence of any CCTV or witnesses who got the reg of the car it may be difficult to find who was responsible. The fact that the gardai do not find the culprit doesnt mean they did not take it as far as they could. Your daughter who obviously has injuries and medical expences can make a claim to the motor insurance bureau of Ireland who deal with cases of hit and run where the offender cannot be found. The process can take a bit longer and the compensation on average is a bit lower but you should get something. hope to culprit is found, contact the investigating garda for updates if they dont contact you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Hope they catch the person!

Was your daughter on the footpath?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

Keep us posted as to how you get on OP. Lets hope the driver is caught. Shocking to think someone would drive off without any regard to someone elses care or safety. Mé féinism is well & truly alive....

Advertisement