Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pyro's Cheltenham 2011 Log

• 12-03-2011 12:08am
    Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭

Posting all of my bets in here, the log won't last too long but I will have lots and lots of bets! No bank, just profit/loss, which will probably be a loss given my recent horrific record, but what can one do! My record at the big meets ain't too bad, even in the NH code so maybe I'll get lucky and get a profit. Cheers to all who look.

I've already had 2 ante-post bets (posted in my horse thread) a couple of months ago. I'll pop them up in here soon.

(Supreme Novices' Hurdle - Tuesday)

1:30 Cheltenham - Dunraven Storm - 2pts e/w @ 28/1 (Bet365 - NRNB)

I really think this Phillip Hobbs trained 6 year old has a very good chance of getting involved here and is crazily over-priced at 28/1 considering his overall form. Whilst he hasn't been seen for a while and left on a sour note, he has enough form in the book to put it up to the market principles here, bar the hot-favourite Cue Card, who disposed of my selection fairly readily in a Grade 2 contest at Cheltenham back in November. However, despite being 8 lengths behind many peoples festival banker, Dunraven Storm paid for some sloppy jumping at the 2nd last flight that day and could of forced Colin Tizzard's runner to have a much more difficult run-in if he didn't lose valuable momentum when hammering the hurdle. Phillip Hobbs' charge did stay on very well though and seemed to get up the hill nicely, despite already being a beaten horse, so some encouragement can be taken out of that. He finished 10 lengths clear of a horse who was rated 2lbs superior, in the shape of Ballyadam Brook, who was rated 140 and came into the race in brilliant form before running to his mark yet again, but found those two much too good. On the face of things, that form alone makes my selections price look significantly too big here, and I feel he's no more than a 14/1 shot, with the only worry being his wellbeing, as he hasn't run since the 20th of November, mainly down to his preference for decent ground but also because of his flop last time out when sent off as a 1/2 favourite in a Listed contest.

Dunraven Storm paid for having 3 races in as many weeks when tackling a 4 runner field at Haydock. He raced keenly throughout on the back of a slowly run race, took over 3 out, but weakened quickly and finished a very disappointing last place. After the race, Phillip Hobbs said "He lost his race at the start," before going on to say that "he boiled over beforehand and then pulled too hard in the race. He ran miles below his true form and we'll give him a break now." He definitely didn't give his true running, and I think he can be forgiven that run. The sharp nature of the Haydock track probably wasn't ideal either, and with his preference being for a galloping track, he should be right at home now that he's back running at Cheltenham, the place where he produced his career best performance. The ground is likely to be similar to the day he faced Cue Card, and it should prove no obstacle at all. His jumping is generally quite fluent, and whilst he's prone to the odd mistake, I think the likely fast pace will see him in a much better light, as he has traveled very well in the majority of his races, but is likely to be even better when he doesn't have to cut out his own running, as he was forced to do a few times. Another good piece of form was his 4 length win over the recently impressive Recession Proof, who couldn't live with the relentless galloping of Phillip Hobbs' charge when they faced off back in October. Despite making a bad mistake at the second last Ascot hurdle, Dunraven Storm repelled the recent Totesport Trophy winner to win going away, showing a very game attitude in the process. However, that was only their second starts, and the runner up has obviously progressed significantly (as his 8/1 price-tag here suggests) but I think my selection can hold that form again, with everything likely to be set up to see him in a better light here. John Quinn's then 4 year old probably wasn't fully suited by the steady pace, but the way he was forced to come off the bridle a fair way from home was testament to the abilities of Dunraven Storm, who is very underrated in the market here.

Whilst Dunraven Storm doesn't fit into too many of the recent trends for this race, he has produced a couple of efforts that would see him being towards the head of the market and not near the bottom, where he currently resides. The likes of Sprinter Sacre, who has proved nothing yet and hasn't got the same level of form as my selection, is deemed to be a best priced 10/1 shot and 7/1 in places. He has run recently though and comes from a powerful stable so there's likely to be more to come, but I get the feeling that Phillip Hobbs' refusal to run his charge on softer going has led to him being seriously overlooked here, which isn't a bad thing as he's a very attractive price at the moment. He has won first time up and after a long break before, although in much weaker contests, but I'm not overly worried by the break as he's reported to be schooling well and should come here flying fit, although he was said to have banged a joint a couple of weeks ago which took him back a bit, but hopefully not too much. There has been a bit of money for him in the past fortnight and it looks likely that he'll be lining out here, but if he doesn't, the bet is "non-runner no bet" with most firms. The yard took this race with Menorah last year and he was similarly lightly raced, also running off the same official rating that day as his stablemate will run off on Tuesday, which matters not but it shows how highly rated Dunraven Storm is by the handicapper, yet he's not priced accordingly. He's open to a lot more improvement, unexposed, a good jumper, a strong traveler, suited to conditions and likely to make his presence felt if running to his abilities here.

Cue Card is rated as the best animal here, but there was lots not to like in his latest outing (in December, has a break to overcome too), where he had an awkward head carriage and found next to nothing for pressure, despite traveling and jumping like the best horse before they turned for home. He's obviously a highly talented horse and the most likely winner, but there's enough reason to oppose him at the price (2/1 currently) and he could flatter to deceive once more if they manage to get him off the bridle. Marsh Warbler is another I rate really highly and he's overpriced here at 33/1, as it's possible he could line up against the older animals for the first time, with fears that he won't get suitable ground on Friday for the Triumph Hurdle, in which he'd hold quite decent claims. His Grade 1 victory is still rated 7lbs inferior to the efforts of Dunraven Storm when he chased home the favourite for this race back in November and even if Brian Ellison's charge turned up here, he'd have a hell of a battle on his hands on ground that may possibly force him to perform below his best. He is an interesting one if he turns up for this though, and is pretty much sure to be shorter than 33/1 if doing so, but I'd say his big day has come and gone. Spirit Son is another one blessed with talent and comes here on the back of a visually impressive 21 length win in a Listed contest at Exeter. He's from the Nicky Henderson yard and that obviously has an effect on his price, which is generally 6/1. However, his runs have come on truly soft ground and heavy ground, so it's debatable if he can run to his level of form on ground that will be quicker than that. So despite being a horse with plenty of ability and potentially a lot more to give, I'd rather avoid at the current prices, even though it's quite possible that the ground will prove no obstacle to him and connections seem to think he'll be equally effective on better ground, if not even better than what he has shown. The price is still too short regardless of what they say and the animal who finished 21 lengths behind him in that Listed contest is likely to make a much better chaser next season, so it was probably no more than academic once they faced off, as the Henderson runners 4/9 price tag suggested. There are many more dangers, too many to list but I think that Dunraven Storm has both the potential to improve and form in the book to suggest that he shouldn't be 28/1 here. His wellbeing has to be taken on trust but he done little wrong in 2010 (bar his last start, where he has excuses) and looks to have enough ability to get competitive in this contest. Whilst over-turning the Cue Card form will more than likely prove very difficult, he may have a more than decent chance of grabbing either 2nd or 3rd place. He'll have the more than capable Richard Johnson on his back and he landed this race last year, plus has experience of riding this fellow to victory on 4 occasions. If he can get his mount settled in behind the likely decent pace, I think he'll have an excellent chance of getting involved at the business end of proceedings, assuming he has a clear, mistake-free round. Medium sized each-way stakes for me, and I think he provides a lively each-way alternative to the favourite, who I couldn't back at current prices. Fingers crossed that Phillip Hobbs will overturn the hot-favourite in the Supreme Novices' Hurdle for the second time in as many years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭noelpat

Ive been waitin for this, I noticed you have been very unlucky lately but gettin ever closer with the places. Id say the winners are due soon and Cheltenham would be a great place for them to start :)

• Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Cheers Noel, would be a toppin' place to start alright. I wouldn't say my stuff lately has been unlucky, I'd call it horrific to be honest but can't change that now. :) I'm a flat man through and through (which I know now, didn't before!) but tend to do alright at the bigger festivals, when I can at least back horses who are bound to be trying to win, unlike in the general day to day stuff. The flat will be brilliant to have back, not long now.

Best of luck for the festival and hopefully it'll be profitable. :) It should certainly be exciting if nothing else!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 iasscarra

I totally agree with you on the each way, although I would not even begin to give my anaysis too that basis, as it would be sacrosantic on your fine piece, all I can say a very good friend of mine who loves and knows he's horse form sport well and may I add does not punt on the same, feels 100% the same with Dunrave Storm. looking forward to the festival...... hope it goes well for you x Pyro

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Phonics

Funny i was just going through the first days card and was looking back at videos of various runnsaers and spotted this one while looking at Cue Card in that race in Cheltenham i came across this one and i think it definitely would have pushed a lot closer bar that bad error at 2nd last. Definitely one with very decent e/w claims and as you said good trainer/jockey combination for the festival. Cheers for the extra insight and good luck with it, will be following you in on this one.

Cheers folks, hopefully he'll live up to expectation and place at least. Definitely doesn't warrant the price tag at least. Has buckets of ability too.

I'm such bad luck of late so he'll probably tail off! The race should be favourably run though, so if he's going to land a big 'un and overturn Cue Card, I think it's now. Fingers and toes crossed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Cheers for that tip. I got Dunraven Storm on BF @33/1. Would be nice start to the festival if this comes in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Pyro can I ask what your thoughts on Synchronised are for the Gold Cup? At 50/1 he seems to be great value. I must put in though that I don't know much about horses. Best of luck for the festival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Not Pyro so won't answer...needs further

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Not Pyro so won't answer...needs further

Smooth...
    :cool:

I am quite stealthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

x PyRo wrote: »
    when I can at least back horses who are bound to be trying to win, unlike in the general day to day stuff.

The truth if it was ever said about NH in Ireland anyway. Still though in saying that, its some buzz pullin off a maiden, your a flat man Pyro alright and mighty damn good at it I might add! I think I'll be following your Cheltenham tips for the comp down my local

I'd imagine Synchronized hasn't a hope Yesno. Didn't even know he was going for it?! If he does, he'll fall. Just doesn't jump well.

Skipping the Arkle (atm anyways), even though Medermit will (I hope) win.

(Spinal Research Handicap - Tuesday)

2:40 Cheltenham - King Fontaine - 1pt e/w @ 40/1 (VC)

The first 4 places are being paid here and I think that Malcolm Jefferson's progressive 8 year old has a cracking chance of filling one of them, even following a sub-standard effort last time out. Whilst he's by no means a constantly fluent jumper, his jumping does seem to improve when the pace quickens, even though he's prone to the odd clanger. His form is quite good in the main, although his most recent effort was poor, in which he pulled up 5 out, having pecked on landing in the Grade 3 Grand National Trial at his beloved Haydock. However, he hated every minute of it on ground far too testing to show his best against that calibre of opposition. King Fontaine was deemed good enough to go off as a 10/1 shot that day, having won his previous 2 races this season over 3 miles at the same course, winning the second of those in very impressive fashion, despite numerous poor jumps and pecking after a few fences. Backing a horse like him is potentially madness in a race like this around this track, but he's obviously talented, has a high cruising speed, a big engine and scope for further improvement. The gallop should be strong here, which is perfect for my selection and he should be fully tuned up for this encounter. How his jumping holds up is another thing, but at 40/1, it's worth the risk.

King Fontaine took his time getting used to fences, pulling up on debut before placing in 2 modest contests. However, he got his act together at the 4th attempt, in which he ran out an easy winner when sent off as a 5/6 favourite in novice company. He then ventured into handicap company after that, winning yet again off a mark of 117. The best was yet to come though, as he was given a long break then before returning in November. He won yet again, this time off of 122, beating the useful Maktu in a thrilling finish, where he showed a very game attitude on his first try over 3 miles. He was turned out 2 weeks later, this time in a Class 2 handicap against some decent opposition. An 11 length victory for Malcolm Jefferson's charge was the final result, but he was good value for further, as he wasn't extended by any means. As already said, his jumping was poor that day, but he showed enough class to suggest that there could be a lot more to come from him. The handicapper deemed him good enough to run off a mark of 142, and he's now dropped 2lbs for his lacklustre effort last time out. Although he may look handicapped to his abilities, I still think there's potentially more to come from him, especially if he improves his consistency in the jumping department. The ground is perfect, the course shouldn't pose many problems and the big field could help us see him in a much better light. His yard are in good knick, he has the benefit of the talented Graham Lee on board and he could have a lively chance of increasing his chasing record over this trip to 3 from 3. 40/1 is much too big and I reckon he's still good value until this halves. King Fontaine is generally a 33/1 shot, but this bookie go 40/1 without "non-runner, no bet". He should be lining out though and assuming he does, he's more than capable of getting involved here, at what is a crazy price. Small each-way stakes for me and hopefully it'll return something!

This one was previously posted on my main thread, price not available now obv. Placed and posted the bet - 13/01/11

(The Champion Hurdle)

3:20 Cheltenham - Dunguib - 5pts @ 20/1 (Coral)

The forgotten horse would be the best way to describe Phillip Fenton's high-class 8 year old, who on his day, has more than enough ability to come here and win. Dunguib was deemed worthy of being sent off the 4/5 favourite in last year Supreme Novices' Hurdle, where he was backed like defeat was out of the question. However, things certainly didn't go to plan and a combination of crazy tactics and a few sketchy jumps culminated in many peoples "festival banker" only managing to finish a 2 length 3rd, behind Menorah, who is currently vying for favouritism in this race. Phillip Hobbs' stable-star has obviously improved since, putting in 2 fine performances this season from his only runs. I'm not much of a trends man, but I do pay attention to some and the "10 of 10 winners had run in the past 50 days" instantly rules out Menorah, who hasn't run for 94 days and he couldn't get a tougher race to come back for. Winners of the Supreme also have poor records in this race and I definitely won't be getting involved with him at those prices.

Can Dunguib turn around the form though? Short answer, yes. I still believe he's the superior horse of the two and I also think he's the best horse in the field. He wasn't fully fit when taking on the talented Luska Lad in the Grade 2 Red Mills Hurdle at Gowran Park on extremely testing heavy ground, but he put in what was deemed to be a career best performance, on the back of which sees the handicapper rate him 16lbs superior than before lining out for that contest. The notion that he can't improve as he's 8 years old is nothing but trip and there's still a lot more to come from this fellow, that I am sure of. He was sloppy over his hurdles in the early stage, when they went slow but as the pace quickened, so did Dunguib's fluency over the jumps and we saw a very talented horse returning to the fray. He toyed with his main contender for the race, before putting the race to bed in a matter of strides to win by 3.5 lengths. It's hard to evaluate how fit he actually was but he beat a race-fit animal, who loves Gowran Park and was previously defeated by Hurricane Fly two starts before in a Grade 1 contest. That was when going left handed and he still managed to run within 2 lengths of Willie Mullins' highly rated speedster, although he was by no means extended to win. Luska Lad is a much better animal going right handed and boasted an unbeaten 2 from 2 record at Gowran when lining up against the 2009 Champion Bumper winner. The way in which Dunguib disposed of him was visually impressive and extremely impressive given that he looked like he wasn't fully race-fit on the back of a 10 month layoff. He's bound to come on for that and can do even better in a race that should be run at a very good gallop, ensuring his jumping should hold up and he can utilize his extremely impressive cruising speed, plus he also seems to find for pressure and isn't just a bridle horse.

Dunguib put in his worst performance of his career in the Irish Champion Hurdle and has form to turn around with the Willie Mullins pair, Thousand Stars and Hurricane Fly. However, he was said to be over the top by that stage, having had 5 runs before his final outing of the season. He was yet again backed as if he couldn't lose, eventually going off the 5/2 favourite. He raced keenly throughout on Good ground, which probably isn't ideal and he ended up finishing well behind in 5th place. I don't think that was his true running at all and he's also much more suited to Cheltenham, so I believe he's capable of overturning that form if running to his true abilities. He comes here on the back of only one run, he'll be fit as a fiddle for having had that reappearance run and I'm expect a huge run from him. He seems to have matured mentally as he didn't pull very much in the Red Mills on the back of a very sedate pace, and assuming they go a nice clip here, he'll be bang in contention turning for home. I've had a few "visions" of how this will pan out and I reckon that he'll come down the hill cruising like he did in the bumper, before taking it up on the turn for home and grinding it out in the fashion of an animal with guts, determination and pure raw ability, of which he has loads. His jumping will have to hold up, his jockey will have to ride a cracker and he'll have to live with horses who possess devastating finishing speed, but I think he's more than up for it and capable of putting last seasons Supreme Novices' defeat well behind him. I've played maximum stakes on him at 20/1 and I'd still play at the current prices (11's with SJ). He should be no bigger than 5/1 in my opinion and I think he'll run a big one if things go to plan. I said 20/1 was madness at the time and it sure was. It'll be a hell of a tough race to win and playing max stakes in one like it is a bit mental but fortune favours the brave, and will hopefully do so here!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭tall chapy

I have the King also.
    He is the only one that meets my stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

Just a quick thank you Pyro ,
    Its great to see an honest opinion on your selections win or lose but just a big thank you for putting up your cheltenham selections either way ill be following you 100percent so heres to good Cheltenham and lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Good Luck

Cheers and thank you too for the comment. Hopefully we'll see a tidy return anyways. :) Long, long, long, long overdue!

(Cross Country Chase)

4:00 Cheltenham - One Cool Cookie - 1.5pts e/w @ 18/1 (Boylesports)

Another race in which 4 places are being paid and this time I fancy Charlie Swan's 10 year old to grab one of them. One Cool Cookie was previously a high class animal, rated 153 at his peak and gaining his best career win in the Grade 1 Powers Gold Cup back in 2007. That was over 2m 4f, which he obviously wouldn't be up to winning nowadays but a marathon trip like he faces today should be right up his street and at 18/1, he looks to be stand-out each-way value to grab at least a place. He ventured into the Cross Country scene for the first time when last seen. However, things didn't go to plan and he shipped off his rider at the fourth. Hopefully things will go better this time and although it's unknown how he'll fair out in this code, his handicap mark of 139 makes him very interesting. Davy Russell takes the ride and he won on-board this horse on a couple of occasions and knows him inside out. He won this race back in '06, finished 2nd in '08 and 5th in '09. He's obviously a good man to have on top for these sort of races and I think he should prove a big plus to this animal, with place claims vastly improved for having him on board alone.

One Cool Cookie ran his best race in a long time when tackling the Aintree fences back in November. He's usually prominently ridden but raced in rear of the 17 strong field, before running on through beaten horses to finish a gallant 3rd. That was over 3m 2f on very testing soft ground, which he handles but I think that this test over a further trip on good ground will see him in a better light. He jumps well, stays well and handles all ground, so there's little doubt in my mind that 18/1 is a slightly silly price for a horse with plenty of ability, even though his ability in this code is an unknown. One Cool Cookie has also peaked at this time of year for the last 2 years, winning the same race in successive years on Saint Patrick's day at Down Royal. This is his time of year and if he's ever going to land another big pot, it'll be during these months. My one worry is his obvious preference for going the other way around, but he ran well going left-handed at Aintree, has won going this way and it may not be so vital in a race like this. There's some fancy opposition here, with the likes of Garde Champetre, L'Ami and Maljimar (very well handicapped) lining up, but I think that Charlie Swan could well land the prize if his charge takes to the conditions. Small enough each-way stakes for me but I think he'll run a big race if he doesn't throw his jockey off again!

(David Nicholson Mares Hurdle)

4:40 Cheltenham - Alasi - 1pt e/w @ 33/1 (Bet365)

This is turning into a recurring theme now as I'm landing on more and more big each-way shots but I fancy Alasi could be a very lively outsider here. On official ratings she has it all to do, form to turn around with plenty of the runners and a mountain to climb. However, she's very talented on her day, game, speedy and stays all day. She's quite headstrong and has thrown away any chance she's had in races by pulling hard early on, but with the pace here likely to be quite strong, she'll hopefully settle better and finish with her customary flurry when they have to go up the hill, assuming she's still around then! Quevega is obviously the one to beat and should prove a tough nut to crack but she hasn't run for the guts of 11 months, although she does go well fresh but I can't take even money about a horse out for so long. She's the class act and my selection was a full 24 lengths behind her in this race last year but Alasi has since progressed 18lbs on ratings and could still have more to come, given that she's relatively lightly raced with only 10 hurdle starts to her name. She's had a quieter run up to this race compared to last year, where she ran 3 times in the 2 months before lining out here, but hasn't run for 2 months this time around, which should stand her in good stead (good record fresh).

Is she good enough to win? Probably not, but the chances of her placing are far greater than the current price suggests. Alasi has course form (over 2f further) in a Listed race where she finished a fast finishing head behind Banjaxed Girl, who is deemed good enough to be 12/1 here and would be shorter but for the inclusion of her stable mate. They also faced off in the latter's last race, on heavy ground at Sandown, which isn't ideal for my selection. The Twiston-Davies trained Mare ran out a game 2.5 length winner, which was an ever diminishing margin with Alasi (19lbs "wrong" at the weights) closing but unable to do so fast enough, due to the ground I'd imagine. That was a cracking run from Paul Webber's Mare. She then went on to contest a Grade 2 contest at Ascot. Third position was all she could muster and she finished 14 lengths behind todays second favourite, Sparky May. However, that was over 3 miles, which isn't ideal for Alasi and she also raced keenly throughout, which put paid to any possible chance of landing her first Graded contest. I'm pretty sure things will be happening a lot quicker today, which should ensure she'll be settled in rear and waited with as usual. The step back in trip is another positive and I've no doubt she'll be fast-finishing if she can just keep up over the first 2 miles, but she does seem to have a decent cruising speed so she shouldn't get caught for toe. I don't expect her to win but I think that 3rd place is up for grabs and she fits the bill as the one I think can fill it. Quevega and Sparky May (who I backed a while back but didn't post - too short to bother now) will be battling it out for the win, with the rest chasing to fill up the places. I could probably just play the place market, but I'd be gutted if she won so I'm having minimal each-way stakes at fancy odds. She most definitely has the ability to get involved in my opinion and will hopefully do so, but she's up against it on the ratings. This could also be one of her final runs over hurdles, as she's bound to make a nice chaser, so it'd be good if she went out on a high, certainly deserves to do so on her exertions in a few of her runs that she didn't manage to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Thanks Pyro, will be following you fairly religiously :)

Cheers D, hope I can make it worthwhile.

Final bet.

(Centenary Novices Handicap Chase)

5:15 Cheltenham - American Trilogy - 2.5pts e/w @ 18/1 (Boylesports)

Quirky but extremely talented 7 year old and has put poor performances behind him in times gone by. American Trilogy was a cracking hurdler (rated 152 at peak) when on song, winning the 2009 running of the County Hurdle here at the festival, scoring by an extremely easy 11 lengths. He came into that race on the back of a couple of very poor efforts and does so again, having jumped extremely badly left in a Grade 2 contest at Kempton (right-handed track) last time out, when finishing 3rd of 3 behind Arkle contender Captain Chris. He had won at that course on his previous start, also over fences, but it was in a much weaker contest and he couldn't keep up having made so many poor jumps. The return to Cheltenham and going this way around is exactly what he needs and his handicap mark of 134 is most definitely understating his true abilities. The hustle and bustle of this 20 runner race is exactly what he wants, as his overall record would suggest. When he has run in any code with 18 or more runners, his form reads 2-1-1-1. He has an obvious liking for these big fields and hopefully that's transferred over to the Chasing code, where he has been unspectacular to say the least. Though, he is still lightly raced having only had 3 starts over fences, falling on debut behind none other than Medermit, winning by 6 lengths in a poor race at Kempton and then jumping towards the North Pole on his most recent run. He is trained by Paul Nicholls though, and he's bound to have him spot on for this, with the hope that he'll add to his 2009 win in this race, which was won by an animal who had also fell first time out over fences. Pointless stat but it could be written in the stars!

American Trilogy has had his problems, missing the whole 09/10 NH season due to a pelvic injury. However, he seems to have overcome those problems, having run 5 times since his reappearance run in November. He should be coming back to something like his old self now and it'd be no surprise if Nicholls has his confidence back up after that poor effort 3 weeks ago. The horse at least comes here race-fit and if anything like his old-self (and getting his act together over fences), he'll be more than capable of making a mockery of his handicap rating and price-tag, although they're both correct on what he has shown so far. He travels well, should jump much better around here, has a good engine and a nice turn of foot in the ground, so I can't see him not running well. It's a wide-open contest by all means, but I'm able to discard many of the other runners a lot quicker than I can do with this fellow, hence why I think he should be much shorter in price than he is. Although he would be if Nicholls didn't have Definity lining up here, who is the current favourite and is partnered by Ruby Walsh. He looks slow enough to me and I don't think he warrants being the favourite in this race, even though he's similarly lightly raced over fences but also blundered his way around last time out, possibly due to having to dig his toe in too much on very testing heavy ground. I still think he's a bit of a slow poke though and will get caught for toe here. Many more have claims (too many to list) but I think that American Trilogy and the very in-form Nick Scholfield (6 wins, 22 rides last fortnight) can make amends for the poor showing he put up last time out and relish this test. 18/1, 4 places paid, great chance of filling one of those at least = maximum each-way stakes for me. If he jumps like he did last time out, he'll lose, but he is much, much better than that and can show it here. Hopefully it will all come together here, because if it does, he'll win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Oops. Just found this thead lol. Totally agree on American Trilogy. Have to go against you in the Xcountry (the only type of race I constantly make a profit on. Pity they are only run a few times a year). I think Bolger will take two (maybe 3) of the spots with A New Story getting the fourth. Hope nothing pulls out.
    The others I will gladly follow.
    Best o luck all ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭fkiely

Excellent write ups as always Pyro. Good luck this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

not a good start, he pulled up :(

Stopped to absolutely nothing. Looked cracking in the paddock though but probably paid for a lack of a prep.

Poor pick and hopefully not a sign of things to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

x PyRo wrote: »
    (Cross Country Chase)

4:00 Cheltenham - One Cool Cookie - 1.5pts e/w @ 18/1 (Boylesports)

!

On it aswell, Nick Mordin put it up also and he had a super festival last year, so here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Amigomenor

I believe Rare Bob and One Cool Cookie EW are the best bets for today.

Unlucky on King Fontaine man,just backed it with the wrong bookie,others were paying 5.
    Hopefully you'll get a few pound now outta Dunguib. 100 points would be nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Backed King Fon with PP and they were playing out 5 places... Nice! Cheers Pyro!

It's a sign o' the times US! Just can't catch a break. Ground has gone against Dunguib if the going is right so it'll be tough for him now.

Nice one Johnny, pity I didn't back him there too! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭budgemook

Got paid on the place for the last one. Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cullen5998

Why all the big prices Pyro?
    Do you not back the form horses who are smaller prices?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement