Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vinyl floor tiles

• 12-03-2011 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

So I am halfway through redecorating bathroom and plan to put down vinyl floor tiles purchased in homebase - the self adhesive ones.
    I have already fixed the 3mm hardboard on top of the existing floorboards with a gazzillion nails with the rough side up as per various recommendations, hardboard has been conditioned too. I now see that the recommendation on the pack of tiles is to lay the hardboard smooth side up.
    Will the tiles adhere to the rough side of the hardboard? If not, is there a simple fix like painting on some sort of primer to help the bond?
    Please dont tell me I have to try and rip up the hardboard or lay a second layer smooth side up!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

tbh, I'd be more concerned about water getting through the joints of the vinyl tiles and rotting the board underneath. If its a bathroom and you have a bath / shower then you are likely to have a fair bit of water around. Without any proper sealer, water will get through and rot the hardboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bjdodo

Dear All,

I have a question that is similar to the topic of this thread. In short: what to put under vinyl sheets to raise it a bit?

In long:

A long time ago there was concrete and a very thin layer of vinyl sheets on top of the concrete in this room. The previous owner of the house installed wooden floor on half of this area and put a wall and left the old vinyl floor for the other half. I have removed the wall and would like to install new vinyl sheets for the new area but would like to raise it so that the 2 halves are in level. Do you have any recommendations about what to put under it? If this layer provided some heat insulation as well then that would be best.

Thank you for all answers!

All the best,
    Joe

What size are you looking to raise, and by how much?

The area is approx 2m x 1m, raise it by ~ 1 cm.

Get a sheet of 10mm ply and put it down.

Is it a concrete floor underneath?

• Advertisement

Thank you for your answer. Yes, I am planning to install it on a concrete floor.

The only problem with the ply is that I am planning to store my bike on it (that I use every day) and in case it rains outside the vinyl sheet would get wet. I do not know how well the ply would tolerate this.

Well I'll think about it.

Thank you again!

Joe

Use Marine ply if there will be water occasionally on the floor.

This is excellent for this! Thank you.
    Joe

Advertisement