Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single shot 223 (N.E.F.)

Options
  • 12-03-2011 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Has anybody experience of any single shot 223's like a New England Firearm type. Teenage son will be using it mostly and as long as I'm buying the rounds he aint getting a magazine.:)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Before going further i want to state that i only ever shot a H&R/NEF (Marlin) in .22Hornett (at least i think it was one) and have no experience with them in general.

Out of curiosity why are you going for a NEF? There are more popular makes out there which are more freely available. If ammo is your concern a box of .17hmr ammo costs roughly €16 - €22+ per 50. .223 ammo can be gotten for as little as €11 per box (20), and its decent stuff (AE, Remington, etc.) So for 50 rounds you are looking at €28+. Its not a huge price difference.

As his ability grows so he can start to buy more expensive ammo. Even pay/buy it for himself. When he is spending all his money on ammo he will soon ease up on the trigger. :)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pokes

I used to to have a NEF single shot break barrel. They are a nice cheap accurate rifle but very awkward if you are going to do any type of target shooting due to the break barrel design when it comes to reloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

Thanks for the replies. We have an Anschutz .17hmr at the moment so dont want the same caliber twice. The only reason I mention the N.E.F. is that two local supliers near me always had them in stock and their prices were good.
    We wont be target shooting with it nor want the option to. On a different path at the moment, love the hunting shooting. Bench shot for some years and its great to relax and clear the head but the "buzz" from hunting has been priority for the last few years. Often thought of a combi but the ammount of rabbits that needed to be dispatched after a hit with the .17 H.M.R was too many. Maybe I just didnt allow enough time for them pass either though.. If I see them flip flopping I usually put another round into them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

time lord wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. We have an Anschutz .17hmr at the moment so dont want the same caliber twice. .

Yes, i was running back through some old posts of yours and seen that you have a .17hmr, but my only reason for mentioning the .17 was not to advise to get one, but to say that realtively cheap yet good quality ammo can be gotten for the .223.

I rang my mate today and he assures me the rifle he had was a NEF/H&R .22 Hornett. All i remember about it was that if your first shot was not a clean kill shot then a quick follow up shot is essential, hence the reason i suggest going for a mag/floor plate designed rifle.

CZ, Savage, and Remington all make a fantastically cheap, reliable yet accurate rifle, and with the second hand market as it is a great quality one can be gotten for little money, with scope.

If you have absolutely no interest in a "mag" fed rifle then i will shut and leave the thread to those that know about the NEF style rifle, but especially for hunting i would seriously recommend a mulitple shot rifle.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

If your not killing rabbits outright with the 17hmr then its not a .233 you need to be looking for. Just because your moving up a calibre doesnt mean you will kill rabbits any better.In my opinion 223 is too much rifle for rabbits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Pokes wrote: »
    If your not killing rabbits outright with the 17hmr then its not a .233 you need to be looking for. Just because your moving up a calibre doesnt mean you will kill rabbits any better.In my opinion 223 is too much rifle for rabbits.

2 words

Head Shots :D

Body shots on a bunny with any rifle can rip a bunny to shreads

2 words

Head Shots :D

Body shots on a bunny with any rifle can rip a bunny to shreads

Your missing the point, if he was taking head shots with the 17 on bunnys he wouldnt need a 223.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

I had one years ago in hornet and was amazed by the accuracy of a very cheap rifle , I used it to lamp foxes , they are ok but the steel in the barrel has a tendency to rust easily.

Advertisement