Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to setup Netopia 2247 router port forwarding for webserver

Options
  • 12-03-2011 1:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

This is a plea to techorati who are knowledgeablable about port forwarding in a home network environment. I have a website currently hosted in another state (http://ww.sharedexperience.org) which I would like to host at my home, where I have a Netopia Model 2247-02 wireless router providing DSL internet access.

I would like to host a webserver on an old Apple G4 Mac running Tiger (OS 10.4.11) that will be hanging off the router with an ethernet cable and I assume getting its IP address from the router like the other 2 Macs in the house (192.168.1.x). I can setup the webserver but:

1) I don't know how to configure the Netopia router to do port forwarding (I believe it's actuallty called creating a pinhole on the Netopia 2247 router) and need help. (I could probably do it if it was a linksys router because there are lots of instructions on the web for Linksys, but the Netopia interface seems to use different language (pinholes) and I've been unable to find any useful instructions.)

2) and more importantly, I am concerned about security of my home network if I do manage to set this up properly.

I assume all I have to do it setup port forwarding on the router for all traffic looking for port 80 (http) at the router's static IP address (have a DSL line that has a statis IP address).

How dangerous is opening this port 80? Can I host a webserver at home and keep nefarious folks from hacking inot my home LAN and accessing my computers. They all are Apples and have user names and passwords which I assume is adequate protection.

I would appreciate any help and/or comments. This cause is a good one! I wan to stop paying the hosting fees for my filemaker database and website and continue to provide a non-profit cancer support service. See website mentioned above. If any of you can help me figure this out, SharedExperience.org anc continue to live!

Thanks in advance for your time and attention,
    Terry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

Hi,

Follow the steps here -

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netopia/2247-02/HTTP.htm

You might have to manually give the Server an IP address.

From the range in your post you could give it

IP address - 192.168.1.200
    Subnet mask - 255.255.255.0
    Gateway - 192.168.1.254 - or the routers IP address if it is different than this.
    DNS server - 192.168.1.254 or you could use Open DNS (www.opendns.com) - 208.67.222.222

Not qualified to comment on the Security aspects of this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 agcomms

Hi atlas

1. Port forwarding does create a pinhole in your routers firewall.
    it is used to connect to a device on your Network (LAN) from
    the Internet. For example you wish to connect to a CCTV DVR
    (using port 7000) on your Lan from anywhere else on the internet.
    Your static IP on the web is 85.86.87.89 and the device on the lan is 192.168.1.1 On your ruoter in the NAT setting you have an option for port forwarding , in here you will set port 7000 to forward to device on 192,168.1.1 So when you use interenet explorer and instead of www. you tyoe 85.86.87.89:7000 you router will direct you to the device at which point you would\should have a login in screeen. So although you created a pin hole, but you have connected to a secure device.

2.in your case you are looking to host your web on your own server on your LAN, This is possible but you will need be aware of the implications.

All web pages names are actually IP Address that need to be resolved, this is achieved by DNS settings accross the internet.

DNS addresses are usually in pairs, the primaty and the alternative
    you should be able to find out your current dns address for you web page from your hosting provider or if you have access to the control panel of your site. This should give you an insight as tohow they are assigned.

So for you to host your own web server, you will require Multiple Static IP
    Addresses on your DSL Line and depending on your provider you may have to increase the spec of your dsl to achieve this.

I hope this helps you out somewhat

Advertisement