Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Basics...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Nules10 wrote: »
    good on ya. I thought i was the only one that was going to be ropey today.

Well I blame you - whose bright idea was it to drink through a straw :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

shazkea wrote: »
    Well I blame you - whose bright idea was it to drink through a straw :p

I was protecting the enamel on our teeth :mad::)

Nules10 wrote: »
    I was protecting the enamel on our teeth :mad::)

...but not our brain cells :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

...but not our brain cells :D:D

You can't lose what you never had! :D

Caught you on my phone in Dundrum:

Mr Slow wrote: »

:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Mon Nov 21st

Cross training

Annoyed after Sat's run because it felt harder than it should have been. So I took myself off to gym tonight to do a fitness test. I have a routine that I use sometimes to see where I am. Last time I did it was the week before I headed to Kilimanjaro so that's a good bench mark.
    So its basically made up of all out effort on the following machines with no breaks at a specific program/resistance and I rate it on time ( and general easiness).

Cycle: 15 km
    Rower: 3000 metres
    Cross-trainer: 5km

I know I'm nowhere as fit as last August so if I got within a certain time range, I'd be happy-ish. Result...
    Cycle: marginally borderline but within range so ok-ish
    Rower: Bang on target so happy
    Cross-Trainer: complete fail. Lungs burning especially on the higher resistances. Last time I did it, I barely broke a sweat or was winded :mad:

Lots of work to be done on the fitness so alot more gym work to be included. Damm chicken pox :mad::mad:

Mr Slow wrote: »

:D It's a new form of resistance training - great workout :D:D

Tues 22nd Nov

Quick Run

Step back week so a nice quick 2 miler on the cards. Lovely evening for a run.

Plan: 2 Miles
    Actual: 2.07
    Time: 20:24
    Avg Pace: 09:52

Wed Nov 23rd

Rest and a torture session with PT. Have some minor niggles in gammy foot so working on strengthening it up which is something I never really did after stress fracture.

Thur Nov 24th

Swapped a planned run for a gym to allow foot some rest after session with Vinny. Good hard gym routine to make up for it.

Fri Nov 25th

Turbo session - hills intervals
    Time: 60 mins
    Distance: 25km

Sat Nov 26th

Long run with group in the park and I really enjoyed this. New runners and foot felt fine so happy days. I really needed a good run after hating last weeks one.
    Plan: 6 miles
    Actual: 6.25
    Time: 1:03:28
    Pace: 10:11

Sun Nov 27th

Enforced rest day...i.e. I was hungover :o. Please can we fast forward past party season to January so I can go off the drink :rolleyes:

Mon Nov 28th

60 min x-training in the gym.
    Gym was packed - what's the story with that. Peeps get out of the gym for December and free up the machines for me pls!

Tues Nov 29th

Run - LSR

I had to switch around the schedule this week for Jingle Bells on Sat. So I got long run out of the way this evening. A "lovely" cold and windy run by the sea - actually I did enjoy this but I'm bloody freezing now.

Plan: 8 miles
    Actual: 8.04
    Time: 1:22:21
    Avg pace: 10:15

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

A pot of tea and a tin of roses...it's the only way to warm up these days!!

claralara wrote: »

Will Green tea and a yorkie do :D...yummy. I can't touch a tin of roses till Dec 1st, otherwise it would be carnage all year round.

Good to catch up for the whole 5 secs on Sat before ye left us for dust!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

claralara wrote: »

I second that!

Wed Nov 30th

Another session with my miracle worker Vinny. Legs have honestly not felt as good in a long, long time. Going to cut down to maintenance visits from now on unless some niggle crops up.

Thur Dec 1st

Easy run

Twas meant to be a nice easy run in advance of Sat. But I'm bored of plodding along runs tho so the devil on my shoulder said flip it, go have fun. So after a boring mile, that's what I did.
    The most unstructured session ever - I ran fast when I wanted to and slowed down when I felt like it using different lamp posts, cars etc. I frigging loved it, such a enjoyable care free run on a beautiful evening.

Plan: 4 Miles
    Actual: 4.06
    Time: 38:56
    Avg Pace: 09:35

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Hello there! Did you do Jingle Bells today? How did you get on if so?

Hello there! Did you do Jingle Bells today? How did you get on if so?

No, unfortunately something came up and I couldn't make it. Are you out next w-end for the xmas beers?

Sun Dec 4th

Plan: 3 Miles
    Actual: 3 miles

Aw thats a shame. Yeah hope to make beers next Sat. Have the work do Fri night so hopefully I'll still be standing after that. You're not doing the half are you?

Aw thats a shame. Yeah hope to make beers next Sat. Have the work do Fri night so hopefully I'll still be standing after that. You're not doing the half are you?

Nope, Raheny is prob the next one up for me unless I find a 5km that suits in the meantime. Currently Clonliffe and Lucan New Years day ones are out so will keep looking aorund. Not too bothered tho as a 5km is not a target race at the mo.

Oh 2 nights in a row...couch days on Sat and Sun then on the plan for you :D

Mon Dec 6th

Half arsed attempt at a gym session. Everything annoyed me about it

Tues Dec 7th

I took my foul mood out to the roads in the hope it would help me and clear my head - it didn't! It was piddling rain and windy so why on earth would I want to be out there. At one point I ended up screaming at the wind to fook the hell off...eh it didn't! Thankfully nobody around to witness my moment of madness :o
    Stupid foot is at me too if I pick up the pace in any way so back to easy running until it decides to play ball...aaagggghhhh :mad::mad:. On a positive note (yes there is one!), these miles felt really easy and included a nice hill.

Plan: 5 Miles
    Actual: 5.01
    Time: 52:25
    Avg Pace: 10:28

oh crap day for you too then :(
    All together now " we're walking in the air"...... lalalalalala ;)
    (not even sure they are the correct words)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

At one point I ended up screaming at the wind to fook the hell off...eh it didn't! Thankfully nobody around to witness my moment of madness :o

I find myself shouting at the wind and hills a lot lately too!! Got some funny looks on the bike because of it today. :P

Wed Dec 7th

Nada - lazy ass day :rolleyes:

Thur Dec 8th

I did not want to go out this evening in that weather but after some mental cajoling, I got my ass in gear and out I went. Promised myself I'd do a couple of miles and see how it goes. Surprisingly despite the wind, sleet and rain I really enjoyed this run. I love when that happens. Twas brass monkeys out tho.

Plan: 2-8 miles ;)
    Actual: 7.02
    Time: 1:09:51
    Avg Pace: 09:57

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Wed Dec 7th

Thur Dec 8th

I did not want to go out this evening in that weather but after some mental cajoling, I got my ass in gear and out I went. Promised myself I'd do a couple of miles and see how it goes. Surprisingly despite the wind, sleet and rain I really enjoyed this run. I love when that happens. Twas brass monkeys out tho.

Go you!

Can totally sympathise with you regarding injury....not that I wasn't sympathetic before mind....

Wed Dec 7th

Thur Dec 8th

Check you out. Thats deadly getting those miles done in such sh*e conditions. I even cut my run short yesterday morning coz it was so awful and thats not like me. RESPECT to you girl :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Nice going shaz, you seem to have bounced back from injury! Delighted for you :)

jcsmum wrote: »
    Go you!

Can totally sympathise with you regarding injury....not that I wasn't sympathetic before mind....

:D - I know, a spell on the injury bench literally drives you nuts (and everyone else around you who has to listen to it!)

Sat Dec 10th

Thought it would be best to get this quick run in this evening rather than tomorrow morning. Lovely run and felt strange not to have a major wind in my face.

Plan: 3 Miles
    Actual: 3.04
    Time: 28:10
    Avg Pace: 9:18

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Are you suffering your way through a marathon of Grey's Anatomy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

How are you finding the turbo shaz? Are you getting the bike out on the road at all?

• Advertisement

Some reflection on 2011 has highlighted that it has been a really bad running year for me. But that's the way the dice rolls so no point getting annoyed over it. Hopefully I've learnt alot of injury lessons for 2012 and can get a good stint of training and knock out some good times (for me anyway :D). Although not sure I can plan for things like chicken pox :rolleyes:

Since I've no races planned for rest of year, time to set out my 2012 stall...

Distance | 2012 Target Time | Previous PB | Current PB
    5km| 25:45 |27:58 (Mar 2011)|26:58 (Sept 2011)
    8km|42:26| none| none
    5 Miles| 42:40| 50:58 (Jan 2010) | 50:58 (Jan 2010)
    10km|51:00 |55:32 (June 2010) |53:04 (April 2011)
    10 Miles|1:29:36|none |none
    Half Marathon| 1:59:00 |2:07:59 (Jan 2011)|2:02:xx (May 2011)

Roll on 2012 :D

Advertisement