Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Basics...

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

shazkea wrote: »
    Then a half in May which is tbd but probably Limerick as I heard the pacers are good :D

Understatement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

I hear they are so good that some of them go on the p!ss the night before and still hit their targets. Not me though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I hear they are so good that some of them go on the p!ss the night before and hit their face on the bar counter. Not me though :p

FYP :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Flattery will get you everywhere! ;)

I know :D
    Understatement.

Sorry...how about the wonderful and talented pacers especially the sub 2 ones.
    That better ;)
    I hear they are so good that some of them go on the p!ss the night before and still hit their targets. Not me though :p
    Down with the this sorta thing coz I won't be involved in the session. Afterwards, yes deffo

Mon Jan 9th

Swim

Yes I am about to log my first swim and nope I have no plans for a tri and you'll why in 2 seconds :rolleyes:

New Years resolution is to get at least 1 swim in per week so thought it was about time I started this week. No word of a lie but it's been about 8 years since I've been in a pool for a swim session. Sunshine dips surrounded by drinks don't count!!

Holy crap but this was woeful and far from the graceful return to the pool I had hoped for. I suppose I have to start somewhere.

Swim: 750m :o
    Time: 30 mins :o

...and this is why I am not doing a tri

• Advertisement

Fair play, I went for a swim recently and was made aware very quickly that I wasn't as fit as I thought! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

EEk! My best time for 750m is 38 mins:o:o:o My aim is to be able to do it in 30 mins!!!

Fair play, I went for a swim recently and was made aware very quickly that I wasn't as fit as I thought! ;)

I know it was a shock to the system alright. Especially since I had some old timers flying past me...not good for the ego. Although you'd think I'd be used to that from running :)
    Bally8 wrote: »
    EEk! My best time for 750m is 38 mins:o:o:o My aim is to be able to do it in 30 mins!!!

Cmon here don't let that time fool you. I was the colour of those purple icons when I finished and was able for nothing else. I will have to slow it right down to pick up some form again and work on my front crawl. I looked like an idiot thrashing around...also didnt help I kept my contacts in so I could see where I was going but couldn't put the head in the water of course :rolleyes:

I found a beginners tri swimming plan online to am going to follow that to build up again. It's tough work!
    You're doing great with you swimming though and definitely going about your plan in the right way. Sub 30 here you come :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Mon Jan 9th

Swim

Yes I am about to log my first swim and nope I have no plans for a tri and you'll why in 2 seconds :rolleyes:

New Years resolution is to get at least 1 swim in per week so thought it was about time I started this week. No word of a lie but it's been about 8 years since I've been in a pool for a swim session. Sunshine dips surrounded by drinks don't count!!

Holy crap but this was woeful and far from the graceful return to the pool I had hoped for. I suppose I have to start somewhere.

thats a pretty good session for your first time in the pool since you were 20 ;) well done missus i am impressed, not sure i could manage it. Its been 3 years since i was in a pool as a 29 yr old :D:D

Nules10 wrote: »
    thats a pretty good session for your first time in the pool since you were 20 ;) well done missus i am impressed, not sure i could manage it. Its been 3 years since i was in a pool as a 29 yr old :D:D
    Knew I liked you...cheque is in the post :)

• Advertisement

Tues Jan 10th

Easy Run

I was meant to do a tempo run this eve but legs felt heavy so after a mile I decided to swap to an easy run. I will do the tempo run instead on Thur. Good decision as legs felt fresher afterwards but run should still have been even slower.

Plan: 3 Miles easy
    Actual: 3.05
    Time: 30:25
    Avg Pace: 10:00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Shaz that's not bad swimming.. better than any of my efforts :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I found a beginners tri swimming plan online to am going to follow

Sounds like someone is thinking of a tri after all? Then maybe you'd be interested in that little SBR Challenge that's going on......;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Sounds like someone is thinking of a tri after all? Then maybe you'd be interested in that little SBR Challenge that's going on......;)

Eh no definitely not. I can categorically state that I am not signing up to any Tri...this year anyway

I just looked at that SBR Challenge and think I would be slightly out of my depth. Then again I do like a challenge and I guess someone needs to prop up the table :cool:.

Wed Jan 11th

Cycle - Turbo

I was all set for a recovery evening on the couch with the only activity being channel surfing. Then the turbo started talking to me about how I could easily do a recovery session on it and still channel surf and it would count as bike kms in the SBR challenge ;).
    I frigging hate those small gears spins though, I'm convinced I'm going to sail out the patio door.

Damm you Dory, it's all your fault :P

Session: Recovery
    Distance: 23km
    Time: 59 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Damm you Dory, it's all your fault :P

Welcome to my hell. ;)
    Hey, but nice session you had there!!

Thur Jan 12th

Run

Plan this evening was 6 miles with 3 tempo slotted in. Fessing up but I hated this run and found the 3 tempo miles tough going. I had planned on Raheny being the target race for my 5 mile goal time. But after tonight, reality sets in and I'm dropping it as a target race. Instead I'll just use it as a tune up to see how much work I need to do.

Structure for tonight was 1 w/u, 3 tempo, 2 c/d

3 easy miles at 10:35, 10:36 and 10:08
    3 tempo miles 8:30, 8:31, 8:29

Can't get any more consistent with those tempo mile times :rolleyes:

Plan: 6
    Actual: 6
    Time: 56:50
    Avg Pace: 09:28

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

You're going great at the moment Shaz.

....I hate tempo runs too, so you're not alone in that one. Give me intervals anyday :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I had planned on Raheny being the target race for my 5 mile goal time. But after tonight, reality sets in and I'm dropping it as a target race.

Just because you don't think you can hit your 2012 target, doesn't mean you should run without a target. If you treat it as a tune-up, you'll slack off when you should be working harder, and that's a bad habit to get into. So set yourself a challenging-but-attainable target, and race the thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Shaz you are getting in great runs and great times at the min...you might hate the tempos but bet they are doing great things for you...Ray is right and you should do the run as planned. I'm reading the P&D Advanced Marathoning book at the min as i got it at Christmas and something i read last night stands out and its
    "how do you know how good you can be until you try?" This will be my new motto!!!!

I reckon go for it and test to see how your training has helped you over the past while!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    Just because you don't think you can hit your 2012 target, doesn't mean you should run without a target. If you treat it as a tune-up, you'll slack off when you should be working harder, and that's a bad habit to get into. So set yourself a challenging-but-attainable target, and race the thing!

+1 whats you 2012 target?
    If you are running 3 x 8:30 a mile in training, running 5 of them in a race should be no problem, in fact I bet you'll likely get closer to 42 minutes than 42:30.

Nobody like tempo runs, they are supposed to be hard. If they were easy we'd all be running them every day and racing every week. The day you start enjoying tempo runs is the day you are running them too slow :pac:

+1

You may be a little tired/dehydrated/whatever and not realise it, this makes the workout tougher. No decisions should be made on the back of one run, next week you could fly through the same session.

Btw, I like steady state runs, love them in fact! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

If you blow up, ya blow up. We've all done it and you'll live to fight another day too. But you'll know more about how you're really going after it one way or the other.

Tempo runs and speed sessions are a bad indicator anyway as its a different vibe everyday but sure i never do them so what would i know.

Sometimes a bit of glorious misadventure is no harm.

Well Friday the 13th and i'm agreeing with Meno. We're all doomed:p

Thanks for the collective kick up the arse and HTFU posts :D

Agree I was thinking of slacking :o. Last 5 mile race was 2 years ago so my PB is 50:58. I was thinking sure as long as I beat that I will be happy!! Soft, very soft...
    Younganne wrote: »
    Shaz you are getting in great runs and great times at the min...you might hate the tempos but bet they are doing great things for you...Ray is right and you should do the run as planned. I'm reading the P&D Advanced Marathoning book at the min as i got it at Christmas and something i read last night stands out and its
    "how do you know how good you can be until you try?" This will be my new motto!!!!

I reckon go for it and test to see how your training has helped you over the past while!!!

Its a good motto alright and I agree with it. I'll go for it and see what happens, who knows I might surprise myself! Are you racing it?
    menoscemo wrote: »
    +1 whats you 2012 target?
    If you are running 3 x 8:30 a mile in training, running 5 of them in a race should be no problem, in fact I bet you'll likely get closer to 42 minutes than 42:30.

Nobody like tempo runs, they are supposed to be hard. If they were easy we'd all be running them every day and racing every week. The day you start enjoying tempo runs is the day you are running them too slow :pac:

Target is 42:40 and the thoughts of stringing 5 8:30's together did not appeal to me after last night.

Sorry but not taking you up on the bet of nearer to 42 mins :D

chinguetti wrote: »
    If you blow up, ya blow up. We've all done it and you'll live to fight another day too. But you'll know more about how you're really going after it one way or the other.

Tempo runs and speed sessions are a bad indicator anyway as its a different vibe everyday but sure i never do them so what would i know.

Sometimes a bit of glorious misadventure is no harm.

Well Friday the 13th and i'm agreeing with Meno. We're all doomed:p

Very true, if I blow up so what at least I've tried it and it's not the end of the world! But you agreeing with Meno def is :)

+1

You may be a little tired/dehydrated/whatever and not realise it, this makes the workout tougher. No decisions should be made on the back of one run, next week you could fly through the same session.

Btw, I like steady state runs, love them in fact! ;)

Confused :confused::confused:

McMillian tells me my Steady State Run is 09:08 - 09:24 and Tempo is 08:45 - 09:08

So from above was that not a tempo run I did??

And....you're just weird liking Steady State Runs :P

Confused :confused::confused:

McMillian tells me my Steady State Run is 09:08 - 09:24 and Tempo is 08:45 - 09:08

So from above was that not a tempo run I did??

And....you're just weird liking Steady State Runs :P

Steady state runs are when you do a warm up and cool down and squeeze 25 - 40 mins at your half marathon to 10 mile race pace in the middle, :D

Steady state runs are when you do a warm up and cool down and squeeze 25 - 40 mins at your half marathon to 10 mile race pace in the middle, :D

So what's the definition of a tempo then? And for the record 08:30 is def not my HM or 10 miles pace...yet!

Target is 42:40 and the thoughts of stringing 5 8:30's together did not appeal to me after last night.

You'll absolutely smash that. If you can run 8:30's for 3 miles in training then you'll definitely do 5 in a race. With all those people running around you it is harder to slow down and adrenaline plays a big factor.

I can tell you for a fact that I could not string 3 training miles together at my 5 mile goal race so you should be super confident. I am normally lucky if i can do 4 miles at my Half marathon pace :o.

So what's the definition of a tempo then? And for the record 08:30 is def not my HM or 10 miles pace...yet!

There are a million different definitions of tempo runs. Hal Higdon, Mc Millan, P&D all call the same run different things (Tempo, LT, Steady State etc).. For me a tempo run is 3-7 miles at a fast, steady pace, but you'll read other people referring to Mile repeats as being a tempo run (i'd just call them Mile repeats :P).

No point confusing things, just stick to your own plan.

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    I can tell you for a fact that I could not string 3 training miles together at my 5 mile goal race so you should be super confident. I am normally lucky if i can do 4 miles at my Half marathon pace :o.

No resolve! :cool:

Advertisement