Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Basics...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Poor week running due to work but I managed to get out yesterday and this evening to slightly make up for it so one 1 run missed overall.

Sat Feb 25th

Long Run

Home in the west for the w-end so decided to change it up a bit and head somewhere different for the long run. So first time to properly try a good ould cross country trail. Holy moly but this was tough work, very draining on the legs I have to say slipping and sliding all over the place. Covered head to toe in muck afterwards! Jury is still out on whether I liked it or not but it was good to change it up.

Distance: 12 miles
    Time: 1:56:47
    Avg Pace: 09:43

Sun Feb 26th

Moderate Run

After yesterday I thought this would be piddly easy despite the tired legs. It would have been great except for the stomach issues :o:mad:...not impressed.

Distance: 4
    Time: 37:12
    Avg Pace: 09:23

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

12 miles cross country is the equivalent to 24 on the road. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

shazkea wrote: »
    Poor week running due to work but I managed to get out yesterday and this evening to slightly make up for it so one 1 run missed overall.

Sat Feb 25th

Long Run

Home in the west for the w-end so decided to change it up a bit and head somewhere different for the long run. So first time to properly try a good ould cross country trail. Holy moly but this was tough work, very draining on the legs I have to say slipping and sliding all over the place. Covered head to toe in muck afterwards!

Sure u manage to do that running in the park on the footpaths :rolleyes:

Nice running missus

12 miles cross country is the equivalent to 24 on the road. Well done.

I wish - does that mean I don't need any more training for a decent half then :D
    Nules10 wrote: »
    Sure u manage to do that running in the park on the footpaths :rolleyes:

Nice running missus

Eh pot, kettle, muck missy :p

Tues Feb 28th

Easy Run

After Sunday's disaster, I was really nervous about this run. Eh and being nervous before a run does not help with a dicky tummy :rolleyes:. No crisis tonight and a nice relaxing run :)

Distance: 4
    Time: 38:17
    Avg Pace: 09:26

• Advertisement

Thur Mar 1st

Plan for this eve was 1 mile easy, 3 x HMP, 1 mile c/d.
    Actual was a "ah crap I'll do what I want run". Such a fab eve out and first time running in the evening while it was still bright, so I was not being a slave to the garmin.
    Ended up at 5 miles HMP, whoops if I cared :rolleyes:

Distance: 5.05
    Time: 45.04
    Pace: 08:56

Great pace there Shaz!

Great pace there Shaz!

That's only because it was bright and people can see me running now :rolleyes:

How goes your recovery?

You mean it's bright and you can see where you're going!
    Recovery is slow but I'm less psycho about it now. Well I think anyway. Who knows with a few drinks in me on 23rd march.......:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 mojorex

Sounds great!

• Advertisement

You mean it's bright and you can see where you're going!
    Recovery is slow but I'm less psycho about it now. Well I think anyway. Who knows with a few drinks in me on 23rd march.......:)

Suddenly remembered I have other plans that night - washing hair, cleaning windows...any excuse really :p

Chin up on the recovery, you'll be back in no time - sure a spot of aqua jogging will do you wonders :)

Fri Mar 2nd

Easy Run

Wow wee nearly backed out of this when I turned the corner to start and met that wind. Running by the sea is usually great but def not on a windy day! Should have been an easy run at 10:30 pace but found it so hard to keep the pace at this.I've got to start sticking to the plan more
    Distance: 3.01
    Time: 29:49
    Pace: 09:53

Sun Mar 4th
    "LSR"

The plan for today was to do the Meath Half Marathon as a training run. Course was 2 laps so plan was to do first lap at HMP (9 min/mile) and then ease off and enjoy the LSR. Sounds great in theory, however it didn't exactly go to plan :rolleyes:

Got to 6 mile mark bang on target and thought ok let's see if I can hold this for 10. That way I'd have a benchmark for Mallow as I've never done a 10 mile race before. Stupid idea really.

Passing the halfway point (and car park) before 7 was soul destroying for me, I'd had enough. I really thought about dropping out and heading straight to the car but pride kept me going. Couldn't drop out in front of peeps watching (not that they would have noticed anyway!). My legs were dead and just not willing to move. Decided to take a gel and see if that worked....it didn't!

Managed to keep it up till 10 mile mark and watch said 1:30:06. Job done, now slow the f**k down and get home in one piece. I knew I'd 2 hills to come and they were not going to be fun. Naturally mother nature then decided to act up and it started raining with hailstones battered me - just as I hit the hills too. How nice of her....I wasn't impressed and told them loudly where to go. They didn't listen! Miles 10 - 12 were horrific and I hated every step.

Got to 12 mile mark and watch said 1:50 - immediate reaction s**t if I get a move on I could actually get a sub 2. Second thought, ah feck I'm going to have to speed up...move you stupid legs :(. Bless them they moved as fast as they could. Coming into car park towards the finsh line was awful and no clock on finish line to let me know if I was on target :mad:. "Sprint" finish towards the line and almost puked...garmin 1:59:30. I'd just about scrapped it.

I should be delighted I've finally got my sub 2 but honestly this was such hard work and I hated it. Bit of an anti-climax really. Race, apart from registration and parking, was well organised and the course was flat as advertised. 2 laps are a bad idea though, for me anyway.

So in summary, sub 2 in the bag but not overly happy with it.

Distance: 13.19
    Time: 1:59:27 (Official chip time)...PB
    Avg Pace: 09:04

**apologies for the language but no other way to describe how crap I felt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Well done Shazkea. Great running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

Pity you didn't enjoy it :(, but congrats on the PB, great running - now, get some wine into you!!:D

Well done Shaz!! I know you suffered by the sounds of it but sub 2 is yeah!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

well done on the sub 2, tough conditions out there. Makes it all the sweeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

So thats where my sub2 went to ;) Cracking run shaz, well done missus... i am very proud of you :) thanks for the goodies on the way home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You'll enjoy the PB more tomorrow:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Well done on the PB. I quite liked the fact I knew exactly what to expect on the second lap. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭alitoast

Well Done Shazkea, your werent the only one tempted to hit for the car at the beginning of Lap 2. A flat course but that little hill about 2 miles out really hurt me too....twice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Shaz, you were gunning for sub 2, any thing after that was just gravy. Fair play to you, loops are not the easiest thing to do. Once you've seen it once, you fell you need to be feeling just as fresh the next time around, this is b*****ks! (excuse the languange, but you started it in your report ;))

If you hit the target, then feel positive about it. If you want to improve on it, save it for the next race, put the feet up and figure out how. You've a sub 2 under the belt for today, and for no extra cost, you had a hail storm to try and dampen the spirits and that bloody hill at the last left hand turn, but you knuckled down and got the target. (and in my opinion, the stretch from the start line to the club house was soul destroying)

F**k the bad parts of today, you got what you set out to do, against the elements and hills, think about that positively for the next race and it will be so much easier.... true story...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats on the sub 2 Shaz, thats fab considering it was a LSR!!!! i actually liked the fact is was 2 laps as i knew what to expect on the 2nd lap but then i do a lot of out & back runs so its probably the same!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Congrats on the sub 2 Shaz! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Shaz, you did great!! Totally understand the empty/frustrated feeling while still hitting a target/PB. The race was a slog...and it hurt...certainly more effort than it should have been....and it was no fun. BUT, you did it!! You didn't quit! Now it's behind you. And you are that much stronger for it. Well done! :) And that empty/frustrated feeling will soon become mere roadkill in your rearview mirror as you drive away....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Well done Shaz. Great running even if you didn't enjoy it too much I think it shows you pushed yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Well done boss, take the positives, you ran, you didn't bail, you dug deep and you hit your target.

Congratulate yourself!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Congrats on the time..

Well done also for sticking with it when things got hard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Well done Shaz. Your report is pretty much the same as mine from the half in the Phoenix Park last year. Yes I got sub2 - ya-frickin-hoo, but it was so hard it took the good out of it on the day. It was a few days later before I appreciated it. And I've never been so tempted to DNF. You did good, girl. Onwards and upwards to 1:55 and below :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Well done on the sub2 shaz! Sounds like it was tough at times, but you stuck with it!!

Advertisement