Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Basics...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

Well done on the PB, I thought PBs should be joyous occasions but i felt like you did yesterday too I don't know if it was just a bad day for me or the fact that it was two laps- I start every run with the intentions of getting back home so to pass the carpark felt very wrong!
    However for you running so well (PB well) when you were not feeling in form is great- look forward to seeing how you get on at the next one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Thanks folks for all the messages and the reality check :). I appreciate the kind and wise words.

A stupid middle of the night flight (early morning to you early runners) gave me plenty of time to analyse the run this morning. Anything to distract me from the grunting arm rest hogger on one side and the other side polluting the air with very violent and silent missiles of nasal distruction.

The main positives are (as you wise sages pointed out) I stuck with it despite really wanting to throw the towel in and I got a PB despite not planning to. The reason it was hard is simples really, according to my plan I've another 8 weeks training to go before I was supposed to attempt this - Limerick half in May was my target for a sub 2 :rolleyes:. Patience is not one of my stronger traits!

It does throw a spanner in my plans but I guess that's a good problem to have. I'll keep going as is for Mallow in a couple of weeks and reassess my targets after that.

Mon Mar 5th

Away with work for week and tempted not to pack any running gear. Packed some because I knew at some stage I'd get an attack of the guilts. Found the hotel gym so hopped on the bike for an easy 30km spin. Ended with 5 km on cross-trainer. Very easy session to loosen legs after yesterday. Achilles is still giving me jib so will have to sort that out.

Treadmill tomorrow as its not an option to head outdoors :(

Tues Mar 6th

Recovery Run

The idea of this was just to test out the legs after Sun. Treadmill was the only option so was never going to like it! Stuck it on 10:00 min/mile with 1% incline and off I took. Treadmills are placed in front of mirrors - why do they do that?? I do not want to to think about running on the deadmill let alone have to watch myself doing it :mad:

Distance: 3 boring miles
    Time: 30
    Pace: 10:00

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Congrats on the sub2 missus. Whats the goal for Limerick now? :D

• Advertisement

Congrats on the sub2 missus. Whats the goal for Limerick now? :D

:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

The glamorous life of a jet setter eh?

jcsmum wrote: »
    The glamorous life of a jet setter eh?

lol, oh it's very glamorous alright :rolleyes:

Wed Mar 7th

Supposed to be a steady run but have an inherent fear of deadmills and messing with the speed whilst running (broke hand previously on one :o). So set speed and incline to exact same setting as yesterday!

Distance: 4 miles
    Time: 40
    Avg Pace: 10:00

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

shazkea wrote: »
    lol, oh it's very glamorous alright :rolleyes:

International Masseuse of Mystery! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Wed Mar 7th

Supposed to be a steady run but have an inherent fear of deadmills and messing with the speed whilst running (broke hand previously on one :o). So set speed and incline to exact same setting as yesterday!

Distance: 4 miles
    Time: 40
    Avg Pace: 10:00

I am petrified of treadmills and never go near them. I did a reinactment of the rice krispie add once in UCD gym at peak time on a Monday night. Still got the scars on my knees. we should set up a therapy group?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Well done on the sub2 Shaz. Stay safe on those treadmills :)

I am petrified of treadmills and never go near them. I did a reinactment of the rice krispie add once in UCD gym at peak time on a Monday night. Still got the scars on my knees. we should set up a therapy group?

:D Sounds like my episode alright, was very embarrassing.

Mar 23rd suit you for the inaugral therapy group meeting ;)

Sat Mar 10th

Attempted LSR!

Met up with jcsmum to accompany her for the second half of her run (or in other words I was too lazy to get out of bed for her early start :)). We headed off and everything was ticking along nicely until K made me go up Knockmaroon :p. Halfway up I had to halt as I was just knackered and I never really recovered after that. I had to call it a day after 8 miles which annoys me no end but it was like flogging a dead horse.

I think I'm just knackered after a long working week and maybe the race last w-end. I had missed a run during the week and was planning to make that up tomorrow but with the reduced mileage today I'm now short 9 miles for the week.
    Any advice on what to do tomorrow - do a 9 mile run or a short run??? Alternatively I could take it as a rest day and get cracking again on Mon in prep for Mallow.

Distance: 8.03
    Time: 1:20:17
    Pace: 10:00

I'd advice you to re trace your steps from today and just do knockmaroon twice ;)

Ah no seriously you did grand today, you didn't look or sound as if you were struggling.

I'd advice you to re trace your steps from today and just do knockmaroon twice ;)

Ah no seriously you did grand today, you didn't look or sound as if you were struggling.

I might just do that route and add in the kyber too ;). Such a shame you can't join me for that in the morn!!

My tell tale sign is that if I'm not talking, I'm struggling :D....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Knockmaroon hill :eek: sure thats worth at least an extra two four miles ;) well done on a tough run. You had a mental week don't beat yourself up over a few miles ;) ( ahh god i am great at this advice giving :D)

Nules10 wrote: »
    Knockmaroon hill :eek: sure thats worth at least an extra two four miles ;) well done on a tough run. You had a mental week don't beat yourself up over a few miles ;) ( ahh god i am great at this advice giving :D)

It would have been if I had made it up the flipping thing! So what time shall I pick you up for the run in the morn then :D:D

Sun Mar 11th

Followed your advice K and headed back to the park for the run today :). I did the exact same route as yesterday and this time I managed to get up Knockmaroon, albeit at a snails pace :rolleyes:. Legs still tired but slightly better than yesterday although I did miss the chatting.

Garmin is acting up, does not seem to be storing info anymore even though I have deleted the history :mad:. Better not be broken as I don't have a new Garmin budgeted for anytime soon.

Distance: 8.13
    Time: 1:19:20
    Pace: 09:46

Good on ya missus!

• Advertisement

Mon Mar 12th

I really enjoyed this run and it reminded why I like to this running lark in the first place. Fab evening by the sea and I have to say I really needed an enjoyable fun for my confidence.

Garmin is working again either becuase of the bump off the wall it got or the device reset - don't care which!

Distance: 4.11
    Time: 37:16
    Avg Pace: 09:04

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done on the Sub 2 Shaz :)

Re feeling tired - listen to your body! If it needs a rest day, take a rest. If it needs fuel, give it chocolate! :D

Tues Mar 14th

Easy Run

Meant to be an easy run but as usual I was struggling to slow down. Started stressing out about pace, my stupid capris and then life just gave me a royal reality check.

In the midst of my stressing, I noticed a young woman in a wheelchair watching all runners and joggers going past with a sad look on her face. Something about her look just made me realise how lucky I am to be able to enjoy running on a lovely evening and stop stressing about silly crap. A well timed reality check I have to say and there are more important things in life.

Distance: 3.03
    Time: 28:20
    Pace: 09:21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Really puts things into perspective alright Shaz.

On a completely different note- why havent you been updating the SBR table? It's very lacking in women these days especially since RQ deleted herself.

Bally8 wrote: »

Unfortunately only for a while before we default back to complaining about little things! :o

On a completely different note- why havent you been updating the SBR table? It's very lacking in women these days especially since RQ deleted herself.

Forgot all about that table - not many swim metres to be wracked up but will update cycling and running now boss :D
    Mr Slow wrote: »
    Unfortunately only for a while before we default back to complaining about little things! :o

Very true, you have my permission to hit me on Monday if I start complaining about a crap race etc

Forgot all about that table - not many swim metres to be wracked up but will update cycling and running now boss :D

Very true, you have my permission to hit me on Monday if I start complaining about a crap race etc

Happy days, I'll slap you silly!

Soooo looking forward to 4 odd hours on a train with ye...seriously what was I thinking ;)

Soooo looking forward to 4 odd hours on a train with ye...seriously what was I thinking ;)

Oh that's nice :[

• Advertisement

Oh that's nice :[

Sorry Mr Slow if I have offended your sensitive soul. If I promise to share some of RQ's choc cake with you, will you forgive me :). Which reminds me, I must check on RQ's baking plans for the w-end...

Advertisement