Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Basics...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Thur Mar 15th

I've had to re-jiggle the schedule a wee bit to accomodate the race on Monday. So I took to the trails in the park today for a bit of a long run. Lovely evening for it and a really enjoyable run - despite having to beg the security guard in Farmleigh to let me use the facilities as they were closed :o. Bless him he was a life saver.

Distance: 9.05 miles
    Time: 1:27:39
    Avg Pace: 09:41

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

shazkea wrote: »
    Mr Slow wrote: »
    Oh that's nice :[

Sorry Mr Slow if I have offended your sensitive soul. If I promise to share some of RQ's choc cake with you, will you forgive me :). Which reminds me, I must check on RQ's baking plans for the w-end...

I'm not eating that stuff, my body's a temple :-D

I'm not eating that stuff, my body's a temple :-D

Fine then, more for me :D. Honestly you offer an olive branch and it's just thrown right back at you ;). I assume you won't be drinking alcohol then either :p

shazkea wrote: »
    Fine then, more for me :D. Honestly you offer an olive branch and it's just thrown right back at you ;). I assume you won't be drinking alcohol then either :p

It's a temple, they have wine in temples, the really good ones have scantily clad maidens running around filling up the wine, what were we talking about again???:o

Sun Mar 18th

Plan today was to do a very easy 3-4 miles before the race tomorrow. Achilles has been acting up for the last few weeks especially first thing in the morn but it always seemed fine after the first mile or so when running. The last week it's been getting worse and a short hike yesterday didn't really help matters! Usual stretches and icing have not seemed to help it at all.

Anyway went out today in the hopes it would ease up as usual but it didn't so I had to pull up short of 3 miles and hobble back. Sitting on the couch icing it, I suddenly had a thought to check the heel box (??) of the runner and low and behold I find the problem. Its all mashed up and a big lump of foam & some other dodgy feeling thing was sticking out...right at the spot of the achilles problem. Great root cause sorted but now I have a massive dilemma.

So assuming I can stretch out achilles enough for race tomorrow, what runners do I wear...do a diy job on the problem ones and hope it works or try a new pair which I had in storage but I have never worn??? Any advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The new ones. Go out for a walk in them this evening, and wear them through the day before the race. Bring the old ones as spares in case the new ones are really uncomfortable, but they sound broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Yeah i think i would go with the new ones too. Are they the same make as the old ones? Should be grand if they are.

Nules10 wrote: »
    Yeah i think i would go with the new ones too. Are they the same make as the old ones? Should be grand if they are.

No they are different models. Old ones were Kayano 16's and very shiny new white ones are Kayano 18's.

I have them on now and will go for a walk later on and see how I go.

Cheers for the advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Best of luck tomorrow, hope the weather is in your favour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Good luck tomorrow Shaz, hope it goes well. Hope the new runners help - would using the old runner insoles in the new runners help break them in? Or is that just a dopey idea?

• Advertisement

Mon Mar 19th

Someday soon I'm going to "enjoy" a race :rolleyes:

Questioned my sanity getting up at some stupid hour to get on a train to Mallow - if it wasn't for RQ's chocolate cake, there would have been no sight of me :). Anyway hooked up with the boardsies and off we went.

Me and my new shiny runners were not looking forward to this. Not sure I like these 18's, very different to the 16 and I found the first 2 miles very awkward in them. Mile 3 was downhill so I started ease into a rhythm there and actually liked it. Then normal crap resumed as we rounded the corner and out by the racecourse. Gasping for water but there was cups and I am clueless on how to use these properly - the woman behind me got an accidental drenching...whoops.

Mile 5 I was ready to go home, achilles was killing me, runners was awful and I was about ready to flag down a marshall - honestly not sure why I kept going, could be coz there wasn't a marshall handy at that point.

I had it in my head to try and stay just ahead of the sub 90 pacers and at the second water station they sailed on by me. I wanted to cry but tried to get the legs moving to catch them. I never quite caught up with them again and the feckers were always about 5-10 secs ahead of me. I'm going to have nightmares about that vile red balloon :mad:

Mile 8 - 10 were just about chasing that flipping balloon and that's all I could focus on. Just couldn't get a sprint going at the end to catch them even with the shout out from jcsmum that there was a mars in the goody bag :o. Normally that would get me running faster!!

Gun time was 1:30:09 and I anxiously waited for a chip time to appear but alas none. There was no gantry at the start - wtf is the point of a chip time then if its from gun.

I had started my garmin at the starters gun and ages before I crossed the line so I'm going with that. Sub 90 just about which is a PB...well anything would have been a PB since it was my first 10 miler :rolleyes:

Again hated this race so I think it's time to rest the race shoes and focus on getting some quality training it - might make these races easier :(

Great running by the boardsies crew so well done to all on great times - RQ, thanks for brekkie :D

Distance: 10:05
    Time: 1:29:55 (Garmin Elapsed Time)
    Avg Pace: 08:57

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Still a brilliant time Shaz, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Ah don't mind the stupid race, you were great company all day. Sorry I snubbed you on the way home ;)

jcsmum wrote: »
    Ah don't mind the stupid race, you were great company all day. Sorry I snubbed you on the way home ;)

:D, you're forgiven this time as you were otherwise occupied...Billy Idol and some boardsies crew have a lot to answer for :p...image out please!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

NOOOOOOOO :D:D. I asked for that, didn't I!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

brilliant time shaz :)

I don't think races are meant to be enjoyed... :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Great running today by the way. It was obviously your breakfast that inspired you. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Well done shaz! I hope the goody bag had that Mars bar in it for you. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

littlebug wrote: »

+1

We all know about the inner sadism of those around these parts... If it was fun and easy, everyone would do it!

A sub-90 10 mile race is not to be sniffed at! Brilliant running :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Well done, despite you making it sound like you ventured through the depths of hell, you had a great run!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Well done shaz, great work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

well done shaz a great run and a great time. But sure did sound tough sometimes following those god damn ballons can be soul destroying :rolleyes:

Well done again Shaz, forget about balloons, I'm going to approach the organisors and see if we can get a few suitable candidates to chase people to their times with helicopters.

What do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats Shaz on sub 90, thats a great time. Sounds like it was well earned so enjoy it :D

Jeez I'm a right moany cow about races at the mo...ignore as I'm sure my addiction to running will resume shortly :o. Thanks for the supportive comments tho.

I have done the same number of races in 3 months this year as I have done in 2011 so time to take a break from those and focus on some quality sessions.

Anyway time to update table

Distance | 2012 Target Time | Previous PB | Current PB
    5km| 25:45 |26:58 (Sept 2011)|25:16 (Feb 2012)
    8km|42:26| none| none
    5 Miles| 42:40| 50:58 (Jan 2010) | 41:18 (Jan 2012)
    10km|51:00 |55:32 (June 2010) |53:04 (April 2011)
    10 Miles|1:29:36|none |1:29:55 (Mar 2012)
    Half Marathon| 1:59:00 |2:02:23 (May 2011)|1:59:27 (Mar 2012)

Still a few seconds to knock off 10 Mile and Half target for 2012 but close enough. 10km is the only one I need to give a good lash for 2012.

One race a month is not a lot, and your three races so far this year have all been PBs.
    You have to race a 10k next month, nothing else makes sense!

littlebug wrote: »

You're right LB but there should be at least some level of satisfaction when you cross the finish line. All I've felt is sheer relief that the torture was over.
    Great running today by the way. It was obviously your breakfast that inspired you. :)

:D it was indeed yummy and I'd love a slice now with a cuppa. Knew I should have knicked the lunch box
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    Well done shaz! I hope the goody bag had that Mars bar in it for you. ;)

Dory, I didn't even finish the bloody Mars bar - think I was too busy ranting with RK and jcsmum

Well done again Shaz, forget about balloons, I'm going to approach the organisors and see if we can get a few suitable candidates to chase people to their times with helicopters.

What do you think?

Is that how you're going to Pace from now on :eek:. I def won't be doing those races :D

RayCun wrote: »
    One race a month is not a lot, and your three races so far this year have all been PBs.
    You have to race a 10k next month, nothing else makes sense!

4 races and 4 PB's is not the worst outcome alright...she says grudingly :)

Stop putting ideas in my head about a 10km though - although if I was to do one, I have one in mind and it's not that bloody GIR ;)

• Advertisement

10k at the K Club, or the Samsung one? See, two great 10ks next month, you'd be mad to miss out :)
    I agree about the GIR, it's a complete pain in the arse.

Advertisement