Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Basics...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of Luck tomorrow Shaz...the "warm weather training" will stand to you:D Enjoy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Sun April 1st

I really don't know where to start with this report except to say I now understand why everyone raves about Conn :D. Got on the bus in Clifden and you could feel the atmosphere and the scenery was stunning. Met Digijem as we hung around in the glorious sunshine and had a chat with anyone who would listen!

Start line we met Emer and her friend and I stupidly asked what was the course like...wrong question to ask as they freaked me out! Thanks Emer :p. Off we took up the hill out of Leenane and I thought whoops what have I done! The crowd forced us to slow down and from there I just settled into an easy rhythm. I loved every step from there on in :D. I was feeling much better than I thought and managed to stay wide awake!! Left the headphones in the pocket as I chatted away along the route. I was taking it nice and handy and loving it.

Round the corner at the bridge for mile 9 to a lovely reception from people and knew the HOTW was coming. It was long.... Stop to walk at mile 10 mark to take a gel and have a look around me and it was amazing. Started back to a slow jog again and before I knew it we were up and over with lots of shouts from the volunteers. From there on into the finish it was a nice run and a bit of a sprint finish. Then back out to cheer everybody including the mad ultras :)

Overall this felt really comfortable and plenty left in the tank as I wasn't aiming for a time. After the last 2 crap races, I'm thrilled I actually did this and loved every second of it - the weather helped too.
    Couple of scoops out in Clifden after where we met Krusty and Emer and lots of other shuffling bodies!
    Thanks to Nules for the lift down as I def would not have made it here otherwise.

Garmin Time 2:04:xx
    Chip Time: 2:04:20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Wow great result esp after a long haul flight! I was looking out for the Mallow t-shirt but you were obviously well ahead of me!
    Great day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Brilliant running shaz, you really sound like you enjoyed it! Can't beat those good run highs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Brazil to Heathrow to Dublin to Connemara, then a half in 2 hours? That's like one of those charity challenges, well done, very impressed.(not surprised though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Shaz, delighted you enjoyed the race and the trip to Conn. Well done on a great time too.
    Races...enjoyable - who would have thought it! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Woo hoo, Shaz!!! What a great report and a great race!! Well done there!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

All that warm weather training paid off! Great going Shaz and are you going for the half again in a sub 2 next year? Or is it too soon to ask:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Well done Shaz, fabulous run after such a hectic week, I'm delighted you enjoyed it so much.
    I was absoluetly THRILLED to get all the shouts at the end before the finishing chute, at that stage I was delirous with joy and happy for anyone to share it with:) Connemara really is a special race no matter what distance you are racing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Yay, well done Shaz! Really pleased you enjoyed it, you deserved a good race - delighted for you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

well done missus.... but you are driving next year :D

chinguetti wrote: »
    All that warm weather training paid off! Great going Shaz and are you going for the half again in a sub 2 next year? Or is it too soon to ask:p
    The thought had crossed my mind alright - pretty much as I crossed the line ;)
    On the other hand really nice to do a race and not worry about time
    Nules10 wrote: »
    well done missus.... but you are driving next year :D
    That's a fair deal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Well done again Shaz, hope ye had a good night out in Clifden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Thanks for the cheers yesterday shaz and nules. I was going to come back up to join ye but back the time I got into the finish area I couldn't get off my chair!!

No bother. We figured from your face you were glad to see the finish line!

Tues April 3rd

Well earned rest day yesterday so time to return to the grind again today! Full winter garb was called for with that wind and hailstones :eek:...not impressed.

A nice easy run and gave me time to think about plans for the next few months. Will take it easy this week whilst I work on a plan. Achilles is sore after Sun so must get it looked at when I get back next week...yep more airports and flights on the agenda this week!

Distance: 3.02
    Time: 29:23
    Avg Pace: 09:44

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Cutex

Well done Shaz! Brilliant running & cheerleading too by all accounts!

Hope your Achilles is ok, maybe some more warm weather training will sort you I mean it out :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats on your race on Sunday and fair play to you...a lesser person would have curled up under a duvet and said no way;) and in 2 hrs on that cousre...Congrats Missus!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Huge congrats on a brill race for you at the weekend Shaz. You so deserved it! And the cheers at the end were so welcomed and appreciated! Great to catch up quickly afterwards - though I'm not suite sue I was making much sense… Pity you guys missed the beers in Galway. We'll have to arrange a get together again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

claralara wrote: »
    Huge congrats on a brill race for you at the weekend Shaz. You so deserved it! And the cheers at the end were so welcomed and appreciated! Great to catch up quickly afterwards - though I'm not suite sue I was making much sense… Pity you guys missed the beers in Galway. We'll have to arrange a get together again soon.

Limerick!!!

• Advertisement

Younganne wrote: »
    Congrats on your race on Sunday and fair play to you...a lesser person would have curled up under a duvet and said no way;) and in 2 hrs on that cousre...Congrats Missus!!!

I was very tempted, trust me :D. You signed up yet for next year ;)
    claralara wrote: »

Don't worry we made up for it with the beers in Clifden :D. Rachel & RQ are on org duties for the next night out!
    Mr Slow wrote: »
    Limerick!!!

You don't miss a chance :D

Thur April 5th

Out in the lashing rain in Switzerland for this run. I asked for a recommendation for a route and was sent up the hills :eek: I should have come here before Conn! I didn't have much time so a quick run but the poor Garmin doesn't know where it is trying to pick a satellite!

Distance: 3.05
    Time: 28:36
    Pace 09:24

Fri April 6th

Decided to take my 2 nephews with me for company on this run...bad idea when they are on bikes. They ran me ragged as everything was about who was first to different points....they won! Got back home and hopped on the bike too for some revenge...I won ;)

Distance: 4.36
    Time: 35:16
    Pace: 08:05

Sat April 7th

Quick hilly run again after a long cycle with the boys. Nice trail run with some little doozies in there to get the heart pumping!

Distance: 3.05
    Time: 28:52
    Pace: 09:28

Tues April 10th

Sunday was an intentional rest day and Monday, well that just pure laziness :rolleyes:. Last week was a poor week mileage wise and I just don't work well without a plan and goals in place. So today new plan, new goals and new training paces :)

Plan this evening was 5 miles at steady pace (steady now being 08:47 - 09:07). I headed to Malahide castle for a change of route and off I took...like a flaming scalded cat too I might add. I will admit I found this harder than it should be but prob due to starting too quick.
    Mile intervals to look forward to tomorrow eve :eek:

Distance: 5.03
    Time: 45:58
    Avg Pace: 09:08

Wed April 11th

Plan: 1 mile w/u, 4 x 1 mile intervals @5km pace, 1 mile c/d

First time trying mile intervals and didn't I pick a lovely wet, windy evening to do them :rolleyes:. Yowsa is all I'll say to these :eek:. I knew they would be tough but I'm wrecked after them. 5km pace is around 08:10 so pretty much kept to that. Give me 400m intervals any day of the week!
    Stomach problems hit on the last mile so a very slow c/d jog back to the safety of the car :o.

Distance: 6:02
    Time: 54:51
    Avg Pace: 09:07

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Which races are next on the agenda Shaz?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done Shaz great going in tough conditions.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Which races are next on the agenda Shaz?

Taking a few weeks off races to try and build in speed work etc and then Cork half and a 10km, probably Dunshaughlin (race pimps have promised strawberries at finish line...if there is any left for the slowbies :D)

How about yourself - Kildare?
    jcsmum wrote: »
    Well done Shaz great going in tough conditions.

Ta, sounds like you had a "fun" morning out in it too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

shazkea wrote: »
    How about yourself - Kildare?

Next up is the samsung night run. Probably do the Boyne 10K the May bank holiday and Kildare 1/2 the week after.

Advertisement