Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Basics...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Cutex

Oh those mile intervals are a killer!

Now I could look through your log to see who you support but I'm just gonna ask??? Please don't be Man City:eek::eek::eek:

We'll have to meet up for that weekend run soon, promise I'll leave my jersey at home;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Cutex wrote: »
    Oh those mile intervals are a killer!

Now I could look through your log to see who you support but I'm just gonna ask??? Please don't be Man City:eek::eek::eek:

We'll have to meet up for that weekend run soon, promise I'll leave my jersey at home;)

Man City :eek:, ah give me some credit! No its worse than that...drum roll please....Chelsea - ever since Andy Townsend joined them after Italia '90 :D. What can I say but I was young and impressionable. TBH though I've lost interest in premiership since Roman started faffing around after Jose left. Still I will always be a ABU supporter :p

Fri April 13th

Treated my legs to a sport massage last night. Holy fook PT's new instrument of torture did a number on them!

Easy run on the schedule today and had to get out at lunchtime to do it. I went to the gym for the use of the showers so some snooze time on the dreadmill. Usual settings of 1% incline and 10:00 min pace, switched off brain and off I took....30 mins later I was done.

Distance: 3 miles
    Time: 30:00
    Pace: 10:00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Have you seen this Shaz... makes for interesting reading!!!

I know its still 3 miles in 30 minutes but the effort is different!!

Younganne wrote: »
    Have you seen this Shaz... makes for interesting reading!!!

I know its still 3 miles in 30 minutes but the effort is different!!

Cheers Anne, I hadn't seen that. Just about within my easy run threshold :D

• Advertisement

Sat April 14th

Long Run

Met up with jcsmum to accompany her for a portion of her 20 miler...objective was to try not to slow her down too much :). After a unscheduled detour via Farmleigh I was sorted and really enjoyed the rest of the run. Left K after a lap of the car park at about 8 and set off to finish my own run. Found the first mile hard not having the company but got back into the swing of it and finished off nice and strong. Well planned route and no laps of car park required to round it up :p
    A really nice run but bold shaz did it far too fast for a LSR; tut tut. A good weeks running this week and I'm really liking running at the mo :)

Distance: 12.03 miles
    Time: 1: 52:55
    Avg Pace: 09:23

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Speedy pace there. Were you been chased by someone :)

Nules10 wrote: »
    Speedy pace there. Were you been chased by someone :)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Well done Shaz. Running is going brilliant at the mo for you. Happy days!!

Sun

Tough day out with the Boards cheerleading squad (aka Nules and sunflowerRo) on the GIR sidelines. Tiring stuff this cheerleading lark :D

Mon April 16th

Easy Run

I'm convinced that as soon as I laced up the runners this evening it started raining :rolleyes:. Although to be fair after hearing about the conditions in Boston, I've nothing to complain about. Meant to be an easy run at 10:00+ pace but my mind wandered off into its own little world and I took no notice of the garmin. So technically not an easy run although it felt fine.

Distance: 3.04
    Time: 28:47
    Avg Pace: 09:28

• Advertisement

Tues April 17th

Plan: 2 miles w/u, 2 @ HMP, 1 @ 10K Pace, 2 miles c/d

Oh man I really didn't want to do this run. Old me was saying are you fracking nuts doing 7 miles as a midweek run, sure you can't do that coz you'll die :rolleyes: New me said STFU and get your ass out there pronto. I listened to new me :)
    Mile 1 a dog attacked me and that really p***ed me off as the owner stood there and did nothing. The mutt can now add some flying hours to his CV...sorry dog lovers! Mother Nature got her revenge on me as I got attacked by a duck a half mile down the path..I kid you not! Seriously not my night. An enjoyable session all the same and I just about survived :D

Distance: 7.12 miles
    Time: 1:07:48
    Avg Pace: 09:31

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Bloody dog owners. Loads of dogs around for my run today and two very different types of owners. Type number 1: bring sliotar and hurl to park, aim ball for dog to chase in general direction of runner and then laugh uproariously as runner has to execute 180 degree turn to get away from the hound thundering towards her. Type 2: hears runner coming behind her. Holds very scary looking dog to heel as runner goes by to make sure he doesnt move and then reinforces dog's good behaviour with treat. Much prefer type 2 ;)
    Hope the duck didn't cause you too many problems :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Dogs aren't too much of a problem where I am but the dog poop is, gross:mad:
    Still, it could be worse, Dory has black snakes chasing her:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Shaz, if it makes you feel any better on my way to marlay this morning via the back roads a car came towards me driving in the middle of the road. The driver swerved at the last minute to avoid me. Needless to say, that got the heart rate up, no need for a warm up for me.

Honestly you'd think somebody didn't want us to run or something ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Marthastew wrote: »

And my hubby ran into a rattle snake while hiking on Saturday!! :eek:
    Dogs and dog poop.....the bad ones (dogs and owners) give the good ones a bad name. In our town, owners are supposed to pick up after their pooches and keep them on a leash.....but I, too, have had a few close calls with furry ankle biters, and have had to hone my poop hurdling skills!

racheljev wrote: »
    Bloody dog owners. Loads of dogs around for my run today and two very different types of owners. Type number 1: bring sliotar and hurl to park, aim ball for dog to chase in general direction of runner and then laugh uproariously as runner has to execute 180 degree turn to get away from the hound thundering towards her. Type 2: hears runner coming behind her. Holds very scary looking dog to heel as runner goes by to make sure he doesnt move and then reinforces dog's good behaviour with treat. Much prefer type 2 ;)
    Hope the duck didn't cause you too many problems :)

Oh I hear you. Although there are no type 1 out around here - that would be far too active to use a hurley and sliotar (and you Dubs didn't know how to use them anyway till a Clare person taught ye :p)
    No out here they have those Ball Launcher toys so little effort is required by the owner...honestly :rolleyes:
    Marthastew wrote: »

Grudingly I will give credit and say that's not an issue where I run - both the poop and snakes!
    jcsmum wrote: »
    Shaz, if it makes you feel any better on my way to marlay this morning via the back roads a car came towards me driving in the middle of the road. The driver swerved at the last minute to avoid me. Needless to say, that got the heart rate up, no need for a warm up for me.

Honestly you'd think somebody didn't want us to run or something ;)

:eek: flipping male driver too I bet!
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    And my hubby ran into a rattle snake while hiking on Saturday!! :eek:
    Dogs and dog poop.....the bad ones (dogs and owners) give the good ones a bad name. In our town, owners are supposed to pick up after their pooches and keep them on a leash.....but I, too, have had a few close calls with furry ankle biters, and have had to hone my poop hurdling skills!

You win on the scary animal game :D...rattlers not nice. Give me a crazy duck any day of the week. I'm still laughing at the little thing flapping and squaking after me.

Thur April 19th

I finally plucked up the courage tonight to head down to the local club and join them for an interval session. I was on the verge of backing out so many times with the nerves but copped on and stepped out of the car to join them. As we started on our warm up loop the heavens opened with a horrible hail shower and I wondered if it was a sign to bail now while I still could :-)

Session was 5 x 1200m @ 5km pace with w/u and c/d. Tough going in the rain but I really enjoyed it and will def be back next week. Good to face your fears sometimes :D. Messed up my garmin laps so don't have the splits for the intervals but from memory pace looked close to 5km for the 5.

Distance: 4.74
    Time: 41:35
    Avg Pace: 08:46

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

shazkea wrote: »
    Thur April 19th

I finally plucked up the courage tonight to head down to the local club and join them for an interval session. I was on the verge of backing out so many times with the nerves but copped on and stepped out of the car to join them.

Good to face your fears sometimes :D.

+ 1 on this shaz, I felt like that at my first run, cycle and swim session with my club. Sick with nerves but so glad I pushed through them in the end :)

Fair play joining a club Shaz ...i reckon we will all eventually join one as there is only so much progress we can make on our own, no matter what plans we are following:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Well done on joining up shaz, the first night is the worst, what with nerves and all that :)

Great session you did too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Is this star of the sea Shaz? Had been eyeing them up for the last while and then saw your post on FB. Do they train in the fields across from Gormanstown College? :rolleyes:

That is them alright p. They meet there in the college and train in the fields opposite the college. I am going to join up when i am back running "properly" They start at 8. Anyway shaz will be able to fill you in on more

Thur April 19th

I finally plucked up the courage tonight to head down to the local club and join them for an interval session. I was on the verge of backing out so many times with the nerves but copped on and stepped out of the car to join them. As we started on our warm up loop the heavens opened with a horrible hail shower and I wondered if it was a sign to bail now while I still could :-)

Session was 5 x 1200m @ 5km pace with w/u and c/d. Tough going in the rain but I really enjoyed it and will def be back next week. Good to face your fears sometimes :D. Messed up my garmin laps so don't have the splits for the intervals but from memory pace looked close to 5km for the 5.

Distance: 4.74
    Time: 41:35
    Avg Pace: 08:46

well done you. Now i can join now i know someone :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

:eek: flipping male driver too I bet!

:rolleyes:

Thanks guys, I guess it was the usual fear of being too slow to join a club and being paddy last but they were really welcoming.
    pistol_75 wrote: »
    Is this star of the sea Shaz? Had been eyeing them up for the last while and then saw your post on FB. Do they train in the fields across from Gormanstown College? :rolleyes:

Yep that's them. My session was on the fields but there was another 3km loop option which was around the avenues I think...don't know Gormanston very well. Don't forget there's also a track there too so we have it all ;)
    Nules10 wrote: »
    well done you. Now i can join now i know someone :D;)

Glad to be of service :)

Sat April 21

LSR

Turned on the garmin this morning to hear the lovely beep of a low battery and I cursed the stupid watch. I actually thought about turning the car around and heading back home to bed. But then I thought of my phone and the fact I have the garmin app on it, so turned it on and stowed it in the pocket for the run. Took a bit of getting used to not having the watch to glance at but I soon realised I really liked not being governed by pace.
    I had said to myself that this run should be between 10:00-10:15 min pace as last weeks was too fast. Fat chance I was going to check the phone every few mins so I slowed down as much as I felt comfortable at and kept like that.

Smashing morning in the park despite the strong wind and I really enjoyed it. I was feeling really comfortable till about the 8 mile mark (I think, no idea really!) when my gluteus maximus decided to have a hissy fit. Dunno where that came from but it was a complete pain in the arse...literally :rolleyes:. The last few miles were not the most comfortable but no way on earth I was stopping. Got back to the car park and took the phone out to see 12.51 miles...you little fecker! A nice extra half mile in to the breeze to round it up to my planned 13.

Slight pace fail again but a good enjoayable run. One mile @ 07:04 :eek:...must have been the one down the furry glen!

Distance: 13.04
    Time: 2:05:40
    Avg Pace: 09:38

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

One mile @ 07:04

That'd be the club training paying off :D

RayCun wrote: »
    That'd be the club training paying off :D

If only someone had told me to join a club sooner ;)

Mon April 23rd

Easy Run

What a lovely evening for a session but I was slightly worried about it. After Saturdays run hip, ITB and glutes were in knots on left leg so lots of rolling (ouchy), icing and stretching yesterday. Seems to have done the trick but still achey so will have to keep an eye on it.
    I need to cop on and slow these easy runs down.

Distance: 3.01
    Time: 29:01
    Avg Pace: 09:38

• Advertisement

Shaz, i hope the sorness was just temporary and that you are fine again...if not...might need to take it easy for a few days and see how things are going....

Advertisement