Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Basics...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

shazkea wrote: »
    Nice, what part are you heading to?
    Tuscany - what about you?
    The thought has crossed my mind thanks to another boardsie...you know who you are ;). Problem is that my swimming is absolutely cat - is there such a thing as a couch to 1km for swimmers :o

Ha ha well similar thoughts have crosssed my mind recently. I just started learning to swim properly in the last month. It's going... okay. I was getting nowhere for weeks but things are starting to click now and I'm feeling more comfortable in the water. I wouldn't be doing lengths or anything and I have a long way to go before I'd brave the open water, but someday... maybe...
    I was hoping to get 20km done in under 40 mins but came in at 41:15 :mad:.
    Holy moley that seems really fast to me. I got a bike a month ago and it's taking me the guts of 30 minutes to cover 10k :eek: I'm very nervous on it!

So I can't swim, run, or cycle (fast) - a tri sounds like a great idea, what do you think :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

God no they will make you wear one of those tri suit thingys (the belly top version) :D the cycling clobber is bad enough ;) how
    Strong a swimmer are you? There is the platform in skerries you can swim from but competent swimmers only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

runrabbit wrote: »
    Tuscany - what about you?

Sicily for first half and then up to Sorrento for 2nd half. I'm really looking forward to the break as I'm sure you are.
    Ha ha well similar thoughts have crosssed my mind recently. I just started learning to swim properly in the last month. It's going... okay. I was getting nowhere for weeks but things are starting to click now and I'm feeling more comfortable in the water. I wouldn't be doing lengths or anything and I have a long way to go before I'd brave the open water, but someday... maybe...
    That's great on the swimming lessons, def sounds a good way to go about it. I'd brave OW not a bother but it's the thought of getting kicked in the face or the goggles smacked from me (I wear contacts) that is completely freaking me out. I've also forgotten how to swim with head down :rolleyes:
    Plenty of practice is what I'm hearing.

Holy moley that seems really fast to me. I got a bike a month ago and it's taking me the guts of 30 minutes to cover 10k :eek: I'm very nervous on it!

So I can't swim, run, or cycle (fast) - a tri sounds like a great idea, what do you think :rolleyes::D

Cycling in traffic can take a bit of getting used to and the helmet is the other thing I find funny. Never wore one until last year.
    BUT yeah a tri sounds like a great idea - 3 disciplines to suck at. I can't wait :D

Nules10 wrote: »
    God no they will make you wear one of those tri suit thingys (the belly top version) :D the cycling clobber is bad enough ;) how
    Strong a swimmer are you? There is the platform in skerries you can swim from but competent swimmers only.

Ah thanks for that image (as she puts away the choc!).
    I used to be ok but not any more. Plenty of time coming up in the gym pool I think before I graduate to OW. I'm guessing you'd come along with ice cream in hand to have a good laugh. And I'd have to get a wetsuit before I hopped in there...way too flipping cold!

3 disciplines to suck at.

Ha ha you've hit the nail on the head! Though if anyone ever asks what my strongest discipline is I'm going to tell them I'm equally good at all of them :cool:

Enjoy the hols!

• Advertisement

Doesn't take long to get back to swimming well again. Of course I will be there with ice cream.... And a camera :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Crikey that's a crackin' cycle Shazkea!
    Here I am trying to get my 10 mile time under 40 and you hop on your bike and wheel out 20k in 41 mins! Was it all downhill with the wind at your back :p

Goggles... I had such a "thing" about water gettting in my goggles and washing my lenses away it was silly! I ended up buying the first decent looking pair of googles on the shop shelf... speedo something or other. I think they were about 15 euro. They're doing the job perfectly. If there is the occasional leak it's only a trickle and can wait til I finish the length. I have found lessons fantastic and can now do 20 lengths with reasonable ease in a session (with breaks here and there) from not being able to swim a length 6 weeks ago. It's really good to have someone look at what you're doing (wrong).

Now I'm going to have to time trial myself at 20k!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Delighted you're back 'in the saddle', pardon the pun :)
    Fingers and toes crossed for plan A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Fair dues to you shaz, you're certainly not letting this injury stop you or mess with your mind ;) Great postive thinking and planning! I have my fingers crossed that you get good news on Tues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

RubyK wrote: »
    Fair dues to you shaz, you're certainly not letting this injury stop you or mess with your mind ;) Great postive thinking and planning! I have my fingers crossed that you get good news on Tues.

+1 on what Ruby says...no matter what though, you have great plans there so there'll be no stopping you. :D

• Advertisement

Sat June 2nd

Cycle

Medicinal bike ride to balance out the red wine consumption last night :rolleyes:. The red wine consumption was to balance out the shin battering by physical therapist - tis a vicious cycle really. Just as well I didn't succumb to the pressure of shots....Nules, yes I'm looking at you :D
    Taking 2 weeks off training for everything to see if things settle a bit. The fact that the 2 weeks coincide with my hollers is an added bonus!

Cycle Distance: 50 km easy

:o Guilty as charged. But i didn't neck a bottle of beer in 10 seconds flat ;)

:o Guilty as charged. But i didn't neck a bottle of beer in 10 seconds flat ;)

That's a downright lie - I should sue you for libel :D. For the record it was 9:34 seconds :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Nules - the Usain Bolt of necking a bottle of beer:p

chinguetti wrote: »
    Nules - the Usain Bolt of necking a bottle of beer:p

:D I think with a bit more training she will shave seconds off that pb ;)

:D I think with a bit more training she will shave seconds off that pb ;)

I'll put that in my training plan for next couple of weeks :D

When is the sub 9 attempt ;) get to bed you have to be up at stupid o clock. You could ask k to give you a wake up call :D

When is the sub 9 attempt ;) get to bed you have to be up at stupid o clock. You could ask k to give you a wake up call :D

My ears are burning :)

Tues June 19th

Swim

Time to kick off the swim portion of the training and see how I go. I attempted an open water swim whilst on hols last week but naturally swam straight into a shoal of jellyfish who were not happy with my presence. Those little feckers knew how to sting and still have the welts as a reminder. Not a good start and ouch :rolleyes:

Today I found a beginners sprint swim plan on web and headed for safety of pool this evening. Session plan was 10x50 metres (2 lengths) with 45 sec recovery - 500m in total. Gym Pool is 21 metres and messed up plan a wee bit. I settled on 9x63 metres (3 lengths)and off I took.

Holy fook but twas a complete mess and I was shattered afterwards. I've forgotten how to put head in water so did a head-up crawl which messed up body position and stroke.
    Took myself off to jacuzzi to recover and ponder my decision to attempt a tri. Seriously what was I thinking!! This is going to be challenge :o

Total: 567m in about 20 mins (forgot to check time exactly on starting)

Great to be back in this crap weather!!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Fair play Shaz. That swimming lark is no walk in the park. Sounds like you're determined to conquer it. Keep it going Nemo :)

• Advertisement

Fair play Shaz. That swimming lark is no walk in the park. Sounds like you're determined to conquer it. Keep it going Nemo :)

+1 it sounds like you have a great base there, you'll get into the swing of it in no time.

I'm still learning to swim - I made a little bit of progress in my last session but today I got into the pool and couldn't do it at all. I kept panicking halfway through a length and this poor pregnant lady in my lane was trying to encourage me! I probably would have got out after 2 lengths except for her, I was to embarrassed to give up! I'm finding it so so difficult. I'd say i'm a long way off where you are so you are my swimming guru!

I'm think I'm more like quirky Dory at the moment. But hopefully my promised superhero eyesight will sort that out in a few weeks :D

+1 it sounds like you have a great base there, you'll get into the swing of it in no time.

I'm still learning to swim - I made a little bit of progress in my last session but today I got into the pool and couldn't do it at all. I kept panicking halfway through a length and this poor pregnant lady in my lane was trying to encourage me! I probably would have got out after 2 lengths except for her, I was to embarrassed to give up! I'm finding it so so difficult. I'd say i'm a long way off where you are so you are my swimming guru!

Keep up the good work there, hopefully it will be will be worth it in the end. Its amazing what some pride will do for you. I had Michael Phelps in the lane beside me and all I could do was look on in amazement as he flew past me (over and over again!!). Its tough work alright but baby steps.750m front crawl without stopping seems an awful long way off at the moment. I've booked a swim evaluation for tomorrow evening so that should be interesting. Will let you know how it goes.

Thur June 21st

Run - 3 miles easy :D

Passed the hop test yesterday so off I took for a test run this eve (I know, I know I should really wait another week and this may come back to bite me). Easy 3 miles with the understanding if anything hurt I would stop immediately. First mile was tough with some phantom shin pain but then everything clicked and it was a fab run. Shin feels good but will not run again until Sat. I did lots of hiking on hols so I think that helped to strengthen it. Happy days :):)

Delighted for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

I'm think I'm more like quirky Dory at the moment. But hopefully my promised superhero eyesight will sort that out in a few weeks :D

Here, look with my superhero eyes I bagged a sub 1.30. Imagine what you'll be able to do coz you're getting stronger beams :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Delighted for you Shaz...mind yourself!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Great news shaz! Delighted for you.

• Advertisement

Here, look with my superhero eyes I bagged a sub 1.30. Imagine what you'll be able to do coz you're getting stronger beams :)

Very true Ro, fun times ahead eh :D. I might aim for a sub 2:30 marathon myself :rolleyes:. Jeez I should have had the eyes done years ago, I'm sure I'd be on the Olympic team. Ah well...
    BTW I hope you're not saying I'm blind, coz when I can see you again I'll catch up (on my bike obviously!!)

Advertisement