Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Communion Photography - What's required here?

• 12-03-2011 3:37am

Hey all,

On Monday, I was asked if I would cover someone's communion. Actually, I was asked by two or three different people.

I politely declined.

But it did get me wondering: What's a communion photographer? And why are parents individually looking for photographers?

I would have assumed that a photographer hired for a communion would get a photograph at the church the morning of the communion, and then a day or so before or after (or the same day, if the child won't be busy) it'd be a studio-based portrait session?

Then, I hear of a friend who is advertising himself as covering Communions, and it confuses me, because he doesn't have a studio.

Now; assuming parents are individually seeking photographers, no photography will be allowed in the church during the service (if one in every 50 children has a photographer, then you've a group of photographers all wallowing about the church).

So, all you can really do is get a photo outside, I assume? Now, I'm not sure how things are done nationwide, but around here, the papers generally have a photographer at each church ready to pounce on unsuspecting children, to get photos into the paper, and to potentially sell to parents at a later date.

So again, I come back to the photographer friend who has no studio. Why would anyone hire him? In fact, i have to be honest, I'm fairly sure I've seen a few studio-less photographers advertising for communions / confirmations / grads / etc. and it is really boggling my mind.

From my vague overview of things, it would appear that a hired photographer, whom you have to pay to cover your specific child(ren), can offer nothing that you can't get for free by asking the local newspaper photographer? (though you'd be needing to pay for the print, of course).

Surely I'm missing something here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Studio shots are boring.

I put myself out as a portrait photographer, but I do not have a studio. Who says you have to have one?

For communions the parents will want glorious shots of their angelic child in high quality. They don't care if you have a bland grey or blue backdrop! Outdoor shots suit this a hell of a lot more.

if you're even half capable of taking a decent portrait and you can do a bit of tweaking post, that is all they want. Get the child going in, and after the ceremony. Why a few days later?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

I've taken 5 communions but only ever as an outdoor shoot in the 'gear' either on the morning of the communion or on another day. Not any studio type shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jaansu

A few years back there when my daughter did her communion the only photo that was sold to us parents was a picture of the class in the school hall a few days after the main event.

I don't think the photographer had a studio. I would tend to agree with our cagey friend, studio shots with bland backgrounds are boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I just want to say fair play to the the OP for turning down the gig! I thought this was going to be another one of those "I've been asked to cover (event) for a friend, haven't a breeze what I'm doing, going to use kit lens and pop up flash in a dark church and charge them, event starts in three minutes, anything I should know?" type threads... ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I did my nephews last year and he was in whingey mode and the sky was overcast to fk...

outdoors
    8C6B360EAF7C48CD8B6798C0825674E2-800.jpg

Outside the Church
    193E06F6B6B14A86AC0220FD7675A5AE-800.jpg

Spoiled git
    9E2ABB74D64F4017928130D321BB0086-800.jpg

• Advertisement

Apart from the whingey face, great shots :D Actually, the last one is great because of the face.

Much better than a plain backdrop I think.

I've done portrait sessions for families where they insisted on plain backdrops, I have tried to drag them out to the garden but ,.... some people do just like the plain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I detest plain backdrops and the default studio shots but alas the public seem to want them.

If I have to use a backdrop, it'll be either white or black. None of that blue/green/orange stuff. The last shoot I did I used 2 white sheets, one taped to the wall and one on the ground. It was a right bitch in Post to get it pure white. They were a bit dusty and off colour and gave me a hard time. You never have that trouble with out door shoots. Just blur the hell out of the backing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I have covered christenings and confirmations and communions. When requested I will bring a portable studio set up but I much prefer the outdoor shots. I find people are having bigger parties, even sit down meals and they want not only angelic shots of their children but also some shots of their guests and mixed group shots.

For communions and confirmations the church will not allow photographers, parents would be silly enough to think they could get a photographer inside, generally parents are even told themselves not to photograph until afterwards as there are just too many kids. For christenings some priests only allow at specific times while others allow whilst staying out of the way.

Im thinking of getting someone for my little ones communion myself, not really sure yet will I do it myself or get someone to do it for me:o (budget may be a problem since I had to take the whole of May off from weddings since the church was so late giving us the date)

Advertisement