Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa for OZ and New Zealand

Options
  • 12-03-2011 5:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi Im travelling over for the RWC in sept/oct and im just wondering what sort of Visa i need if any??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Assuming you're an Irish citizen, then as long as you have return flights out of New Zealand - i.e. you can prove you already have plans to leave the country, you are okay for a visa as long as you are there for less than 3 months, you're sweet.

I'm not sure about Australia, but from what I can remember, it's quite similar, as long as you're not working and can prove you're leaving, you're pretty sweet. I think there's an e-visa you fill out, I think mine was OK'd in about 24hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Hi Im travelling over for the RWC in sept/oct and im just wondering what sort of Visa i need if any??

You don't need a visa for Oz if gong to RWC (unless you have a mini holiday in oz) ... if you are in transit in Australia you won't need one

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Please note Australia and New Zealand are different countries (very much like England and Ireland are different countries.)

Im sick of looking at holiday insurance where they say you must be registered for Medicare if travelling to Australia or New Zealand. The Fools, they work in the industry and dont seem to comprehend they are different countries and that NZ is NOT part of Australia or the Australian Medicare programme!

I had a conversation the other day it went...
    :pac:: "So where in Australia are you from?"
    :cool:(Me): "Im not Im from New Zealand."
    :pac:: "Ohh.... Where in Australia is New Zealand?"
    :cool:(Me): :eek::eek::eek::eek: (After about 10 minutes of trying to explain that they are different countries!

Haha, you got it about right there ^. It's amazing how often I have to point out that Ireland and England/UK/Great Britain are not the same thing. People usually give me an 'ah yeah, whatever' look, until I point out the NZ-Australia comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I had a very funny conversation with a girl at work yesterday who thought you could get a train from London to Dublin because Ireland was attached to England in some way. She had no idea Ireland was an island. Frickin hilarious

Anyway, as far as I know you do need one of those e-visa things to go to Australia. I had to get one when I went on holiday there and it was checked on arrival. it's like the American one that you do online and get a number. Link is here http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/. It's free and you do it online so it's not like a real visa, I guess.

With NZ, if you are on an Irish passport you can stay for 3 months with no visa.

• Advertisement

watna wrote: »
    I had a very funny conversation with a girl at work yesterday who thought you could get a train from London to Dublin because Ireland was attached to England in some way. She had no idea Ireland was an island. Frickin hilarious.

WTF Where the heck was she from?????
    They should at least know that much!!!! You should tell her when your on the Euro Tunnel, in under the English Channel, you have to turn left for Scotland, Right for Wales, U turn for Ireland but watch them French ones driving at you cause they drive on the right!!
    :D

What I actually get asked heaps, which cracks me up is whether I'm from north or south, (which always bugs me, cos I'm from the south, but the inishowen peninsula, is in the north, I usually just reply that I'm from the Republic), or if I'm a Catholic or a Protestant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

kiwipower wrote: »
    WTF Where the heck was she from?????
    They should at least know that much!!!! You should tell her when your on the Euro Tunnel, in under the English Channel, you have to turn left for Scotland, Right for Wales, U turn for Ireland but watch them French ones driving at you cause they drive on the right!!
    :D

She's from Palmy. We gave her a lot of abuse about it. She's generally a pretty smart girl. We're encouraging her to go travelling now year :P

watna wrote: »
    She's from Palmy. We gave her a lot of abuse about it. She's generally a pretty smart girl. We're encouraging her to go travelling now year :P

OMG I thought you where going to tell me somewhere out in the bush! Not a so called University Town!

What I actually get asked heaps, which cracks me up is whether I'm from north or south, (which always bugs me, cos I'm from the south, but the inishowen peninsula, is in the north, I usually just reply that I'm from the Republic), or if I'm a Catholic or a Protestant.

I kinda get this one. I have come across Irish using this distinction.
    Also when the 6 countys are refered to as Northern Ireland it is kinda logical (especially to people who live on the North island or the South island) to call the rest the south. Ya could always try saying your from one of the 32countys, or Ulster (or which ever province your from I am only presuming from that your from the inishowen because of your post) and see what look ya get!?

My Irish partners mother still (after 6 years) insists on calling the North Island the "Northen Island."

Ohh as for the Catholic Protestant point... tell them your Jedi! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭up the town

Cheers for the help guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 freewheeling

Advertisement