Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky SD box no more from March 15th.

• 12-03-2011 5:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭

A bit surprised that as far as i can find this has not been posted on boards,
    inch by inch,row by row the dual SD/HD EPG will be lost and gone forever!

source was digital spy poster who was asked for sources but gradually people 'in the know' have confirmed it.

anybody like to speculate what sky have up their sleeve's this time?

No plus functions,but a plus remote.
    of course did'nt a recent software update prevent HD box's from reverting to the UK EPG which makes the FTV channels in Ireland become FTA if the Irish card was removed and then box re-booted.;)
    On March 15th, Sky is launching a brand new and improved SkyHD Box for both existing and new Sky Multiroom customers!

this fantastic new HD Ready Digibox is replacing the standard (SD) Digibox for Multiroom in the meantime they can access free to air HD channels.

* It has the new HD TV Sky Guide allowing customers to browse what’s on whilst at the same time continuing to watch their current programme in the mini-screen.
    * It’s smaller with a new, sleek, modern design and high gloss finish which can be stored vertically or horizontally in the home – making it more versatile than ever before.

Please note:

* The new SkyHD box is not a PVR. It does not have a hard disk drive or Sky+ functionality
    * Sky Anytime and recording functionality is not available.
    * The planner function will however allow customers to set reminders.
    * The SkyHD box will be shipped with the standard Sky+HD remote control.
    * As there is no PVR functionality, the customer should be informed that the 6 centre buttons used for recording and playback will not operate the SkyHD box.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Wait, I'm confused.

So in my house we have a HD box in one room and an SD box in the other. Both can record/pause etc. This is saying that the SD box is going to be replaced with a HD-lite box that can't record/pause?

Or is this only replacing it for people who don't have +?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭clln

Zillah wrote: »
    Wait, I'm confused.

So in my house we have a HD box in one room and an SD box in the other. Both can record/pause etc. This is saying that the SD box is going to be replaced with a HD-lite box that can't record/pause?

Or is this only replacing it for people who don't have +?

i dont think you mean a sd standard box can record do you?
    must be a + box?

yes the future 'standard box's' for multiroom will be HD box's, the main HD box will have PVR etc, and you are not the only one who is confused as to what their full cunning plan is!:)

an external HDD that would have to be bought from sky, or the USB output may'be something like the German stick?
    there is no RF output on the new box's.

EDIT: and woops,ZERKS also reported this on a thread whose title did not seem relevent to this.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71006873&postcount=4

but how can they claim it is HD ready and also claim the FTA HD channels will be available(all one of them on the sky EPG Luxe life HD ;). ok other FTA HD can be tuned on other channels option but messy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭hawthorn

Im a bit confused too.....what about where your main box is an SD+ ? Will that stilll record or will they also replace that?

And what about those of us who have an old SD box as a FTA only, but no multiroom sub, will they give us a new one? If not do we have to buy a new one?:eek:

And finally I suppose the new one will be as sluggish and slow as my current HD one...:(

h

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

hawthorn wrote: »
    Im a bit confused too.....what about where your main box is an SD+ ? Will that stilll record or will they also replace that?

And what about those of us who have an old SD box as a FTA only, but no multiroom sub, will they give us a new one? If not do we have to buy a new one?:eek:

And finally I suppose the new one will be as sluggish and slow as my current HD one...:(

h

Pretty sure it will only affect boxes that are part of a multi-room deal. I can't see how Sky boxes that are used to receive FTA will be affected ?

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    Pretty sure it will only affect boxes that are part of a multi-room deal. I can't see how Sky boxes that are used to receive FTA will be affected ?

Hi greendom apart from the long term plan to have all the HD channels at the lower numbers,nobody saw the inability to switch between Irish/UK EPG on HD box's either.

i see them chancing their arms sometime in the future and sending letters saying in order to continue viewing you must pay for a new box.

the present standard box's are preventing them doing some things they want to.
    wonder might it be anything to do with plans they might have with Astra 1N when it launchs.?

you never know with the bunch of crooks nice people are planning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

What's the point of this thread when we already have one open and this topic has been discussed with most of the questions posted here already answered.

As has been stated,the new box is for multiroom only and is an affordable option for customers wanting hd in another room without paying a fortune for a second sky+hd box.

zerks wrote: »
    What's the point of this thread when we already have one open and this topic has been discussed with most of the questions posted here already answered.

As has been stated,the new box is for multiroom only and is an affordable option for customers wanting hd in another room without paying a fortune for a second sky+hd box.

zerks when it was realised that in fact you had posted the info on not one but two other threads about the new box,you were given the credit and both were linked to.

please leave the modding to the mods and stop being so rude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

clln wrote: »
    zerks when it was realised that in fact you had posted the info on not one but two other threads about the new box,you were given the credit and both were linked to.

please leave the modding to the mods and stop being so rude.

I just had a read of my post again,maybe I'm missing something but can't find anything rude about it,just didn't see the point of having a new thread on the same topic.
    To make things clear for you this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71006873&postcount=4 is not about the new box,I just stated in that post the offers from sky and informed the op that new hd ready boxes will be available for multiroom next week.Read the whole thread before making assumptions.

zerks wrote: »
    I just had a read of my post again,maybe I'm missing something but can't find anything rude about it,just didn't see the point of having a new thread on the same topic.
    To make things clear for you this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71006873&postcount=4 is not about the new box,I just stated in that post the offers from sky and informed the op that new hd ready boxes will be available for multiroom next week.Read the whole thread before making assumptions.

Fair enough zerks.
    apologies that i mistook the tone of your post.

cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement