Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any real profit in Alch, Herb?

Options
  • 12-03-2011 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Hey peeps, I know there a gold tips thread but a few of my questions have gotten lost in there and gone off topic so thought I'd thread this one.

Levelled an Alchemist last night, got Herbalism and Alch both to 525 and did the Transmute Master quest. I've asked around and a lot of people are saying I'm better off just selling the herbs rather than making anything out of them. Just transmute 1 truegold every day with alchemy, and sell the herbs.

Surely there must be some decent profit to be made? Any pots, or flasks that you guys have good mark up or good luck with so far? I've started Archeaology aswell, won't stop till I find the recipe for Vial of Sands and sell some of them too.

I presume Transmute was the best spec to go? Thanks for any helpful tips and advice :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

-Vega- wrote: »

In short, not really.

See if you can grab herbs at a reasonable price and check flask prices. But youd want to be a flask master, as the procs are basically where the profit is.

Truegold is at the point on alliance side on outland where the finished product is gonig for less then the material cost.

I've not touched Alchemy since I leveled it.

I also don't dig on gathering professions, if your serious about gold, its a silly waste of time.

It doesnt make your items free, or drop costs because your farming the materials.

For example

A stack of 20 cinderbloom makes 4 mysterious fortune cards that sell for 15g each

So thats 45g material cost.
    And remember from each stack you receive .5 inferno inks,

I oeprate in stacks of three to work my material cost.

So

60cinderbloom = 12 Cards which has a 135g material cost
    I receive 1.5 inferno inks, 1 which sells for about 100g
    12 cards will sell for 180

So in short

3 stacks = 135g
    Finished products = 280g

Final market price - material cost = profit
    Profit = 145g

It takes roughly about 3 minutes to create these finished products and prepare to sell.

Cinderbloom goes for about 40g at the moment on the AH, so thats roughly 4 stacks to make the same profit

How long does it take to farm 4 stacks of Cinderbloom?

Hopefully that makes sense, but its how I operate, don't do gathering, its a net profit loss

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

So shud I just drop herbalism? What would I replace it with ?

Ive got a tailorer, enchanter on one char, a skinner and lw on another, and this one is alchemy and herb .. can I replace herb for anything better or will I just hang on to it for lifebloom haste but stop the gathering.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

-Vega- wrote: »
    So shud I just drop herbalism? What would I replace it with ?

Ive got a tailorer, enchanter on one char, a skinner and lw on another, and this one is alchemy and herb .. can I replace herb for anything better or will I just hang on to it for lifebloom haste but stop the gathering.

How far you into herbalism?

I'd drop it and grab Jewelcrafting, you dont have it and its the bread and butter of gold making, combined with Alchemist you will have a decent combo for transmutes etc

But definitly invest into JC, easiest money youll ever make, buy ore, prospect, cut gems, sell

Ore is cheap at the moment aswell with so many botters back on the server so there is enver a better time to level proffessions

Ok, I've got skinning on the druid, I have ZERO intention of ever going to farm leather, so I think Ill drop the skinning as it's simple to level and I like the haste buff on rogue. Plus it's nice doing daily quests or tol barad and passing a herb and just picking it because youre there.

I know that means mailing between characters but I don't mind that too much, I'll get back to you at 525 jewel :) I'll do the guide 1-525 monday. Ty for advice!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I made 50k gold from herbalism and alchemy in 5 weeks.
    I resubbed to wow for cata when i had i had 10k gold to my name, 5 weeks later when i quit the game i had amounted 70k gold 50k came directly from selling flasks.
    Im no expert but i was happy to make so much from selling flasks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Don't forget that Alchemy can also make several very nice epic trinkets as well.
    Except for rogues :( Blues are better :P Wouldnt mind em on any of my other toons but meh :mad:

Ain't tried sellin much lately but aint spent much after the inital couple of weeks for some gear at the start of the expansion. Went from 200k-100k then but back up till about 140kish now and can't say I've sold much noticable. Ain't even flogged any VP boots yet but everyones at that now and barely get 10k for them. With couple of toons prity self sufficient. Got rogue Alch and LW, then druid skinnin & herb , and lock enchantin & skinnin so main was supplied and could throw a enchant over and de all greens / blues on a alt. Tried a few flasks early but not too much since wanted em for raidin and were sellin around 400g, but down to 150g now.

So is the trinket decent for rogues? Im using that Rogue potion that u only get via pickpocket and with the trinket it heals for a nice amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Nope. Crit sucks for rogues. Best get the valour one and tia's grace before raids. Even the espertise blue one is better than the alch one accordin to EJ. Is spreadsheet can check for yourself on EJ Forums, anyhows heres rogue section link

Just verified with my gear and 100 dps loss after gem'd it and reforged crit till mastery. If just dinged might do to start with but can get better from heroics for raidin tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,589 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Alch/herb was a massive money maker for me after Cata as the truegold transmutes could make me 500-1000g per day for the first 2 weeks and between 200-400g for the following 3-4 weeks. More recently, the profit is only so-so.

Most importantly, it is a fantastic money saver if your alchemy character is your raider with the 2 hour flasks. My main is my alchemist and I was laughing at all the non-alchs complaining that raids cost around 900g in flasks for them before the mats nerf

Advertisement