Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joan Burton's cabinet post (victim of sexism or not?)

Options
  • 10-03-2011 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭

I gotta admit , I dont like Joan Burton and find her shrill.

So when I read this in the Irish Times about Eamonn Gilmore being sexist

irishtimes.com - Last Updated: Thursday, March 10, 2011, 13:10Quinn defends Gilmore decision

AOIFE CARR
    Minister for Education Ruairí Quinn insisted Labour leader Eamon Gilmore had a difficult task in choosing the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform.
    Mr Quinn defended the surprise decision to give Brendan Howlin the job rather than Joan Burton, who was widely tipped to get a senior finance portfolio. Instead, Taoiseach Enda Kenny named her as Minister for Social Protection.
    There was some shock at Ms Burton's exclusion last night, with one Labour colleague, speaking on the basis of anonymity, suggesting that there may be sexism at play.

Following on from this about Vincent Browne being sexist

Joan 'still welcome' on TV3 despite Vincent sexism jibe

2701_Joan-Burton_H_805049t.jpg
    Collins Photo Agency

www.AXAfinancial.ie

By Kevin Doyle, POLITICAL REPORTER

Monday January 31 2011

LABOUR'S Joan Burton is expected to be panellist on Vincent Browne's TV3 programme again despite allegations he verged on sexism.
    The Dublin TD is understood to be surprised by the attention given to her remarks about the veteran broadcaster after they clashed last week.

I wonder.

To a TV journalist OK -he will run with the punches and he will, but to a party leader and cabinet colleague one would expect -wow that is something.

Is this spin or political banter or does she believe it.

I also wonder has she used the sexism tactic on people before as to be labelled misogynist or sexist is a fairly serious allegation nowadays.

She is a Chartered Accountant and Lecturer and those allegations if made in a firm or college could lead to all kinds of problems.

So what is she like
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Victim of her own irrationality on Vincent Browne . Watch this trainwreck and tell me how she got into Cabinet at ALL :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭GSF

Every good multiple choice question should have option d - none of the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

Victim of not being considered as good as brendan howlin for the job plain and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

It is a fairly serious allegation that Eamonn Gilmore ( and by implication Enda Kenny are sexist).

And she is in a fairly influential position.

If the position of Party Leader came up it could be her ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

So this lack of tact is a character flaw.

She trained as a chartered accountant - but what do we know of her career before politics.

What organisations is she affiliated to - womens groups , unions, what is her power base.

What professional expertise is she bringing with her ??

How do people rate her ability wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

It was her dire performance on Vincent Browne that sealed her fate I think. If there had been no GE I think she would have been quietly removed from the position in a reshuffle.

As regards Howlin I remember Pat Kenny on Frontline trying to get him to explain where they would save money, Howlin could only wave a bunch of papers and say "It's in here Pat". When asked to state an example he couldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

I think that car crash of a performance on Vincent Brown single-handedly cost her the position.

Prior to that, she was in the forefront for all of Labour's pronouncements on economic policy and general debate.

After that, and for all of the election, she was kind of hidden away. Knowing that the election was always going to turn on the economy and considering she was the finance spokesperson, one would have to ask the question -> Damage limitation for Labour??

It's about substance and character, not gender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

It's a disgrace that this person, whoever it is, won't stand up and be counted and will only make the allegation on condition of anonymity. It's even worse that a supposedly reputable paper like the Irish Times will grant it and publish this kind of cowardly attack. You couldn't get an anonymous letter published in their letters page, so why should politicians be allowed this kind of freedom to make unattributed personal attacks?

As for the claim of sexism itself, there seems to be a class of people in Irish politics, Burton herself among them, to whom claims of sexism are an automatic reflex. For example, in the course of a radio debate during the election campaign, she claimed the cut in the minimum wage was sexist because women cleaners would be disproportionately affected. Even if she's right that most cleaners are women (and FWIW, I've worked in the past as one of an all-male team of contract cleaners), she apparently doesn't know that cleaners are covered by a legally binding JLC agreement which gives them a minimum of €9.50/hr and was unaffected by the minimum wage cut.

As has already been pointed out, she demonstrated in extreme fashion on VB an aggressive and gratuitously rude side to her personality which would be a disaster in the types of negotiation Howlin's new role will entail.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Victim of her own irrationality on Vincent Browne . Watch this trainwreck and tell me how she got into Cabinet at ALL :(

I think this is the answer.
    Howlins new position requires negotiating skills - Joan Burton does not have those skills, (in my opinion).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

since the richard keys/andy gray thing, the whole sexism debate is now very much in fashion and some machievellian females are taking advantage of how highly-charged and sensitized the issue has become...it's unfortunate that they are adopting these McCarthyite tactics as there will inevitably be a backlash to all of this and some people are going to end up looking very foolish and dishonest

gizmo555 wrote: »

It may have been herself

I am not a RBB fan either.

Anyway - maybe there should be a sexism accusation watch on her.

I have no problem if it is genuine but it is very nasty if it is untrue.

Anyway, are there other incidents when she has done this,

This came up in the Journal.ie

On an aside
    Female worker was told her pregnancy is ‘a condition, not a f***ing illness’

08/03/11, 2:48 pm 2,903 Views 17 Comments
    Share 75 Tweet 30
    pregnant-woman-390x285.jpg File photo

Image: Frank de Kleine via Creative Commons

A WOMAN WHO works in customer service in Leinster was subjected to a torrent of abuse from a manager after she became pregnant, according to the UNITE trade union.
    The incident happened within the last month and a formal complaint was made to UNITE which has released the story to highlight the level of abuse towards women in the workplace that it says is still deemed as acceptable by some Irish managers.
    The trade union said it was dealing with more cases of abuse of women in the work place than ever before during the current economic climate and said that some managers were illegally using pregnancy to put pressure on employees.
    In one incident the woman, who works in customer service and did not want to be identified, informed her manager that she was four months pregnant.
    The women was upset when her manager became angry at the fact that she would need to take time off for scans as he normally visited the workplace regularly.
    He told her that his business should not have to suffer because she was pregnant.
    After the woman left to compose herself, she came back to find him in a more conciliatory mood and he gave her a list of dates that she could take off.
    She said she would have to consult with her husband but that she would need the following Monday morning off for a doctor’s appointment.
    At that point he became extremely angry and told her:
    Christ! Now I will have to come down again. You have f**ked up my next week as well as this week. For god’s sake you have a condition, not a f**king illness.

The comments do not break any industrial relations laws but UNITE says it will keep the incident on file.

I heard this"a condition, not a f**king illness" last year , but, it was from a woman who works at a Senior Level in a Technical Role and she told me that she and another female colleague shocked a male colleague with the saying.

I checked and this has been doing the rounds as a saying for a few years in HR.

An Urban Myth dressed up as fact -me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I wish we had more black TDs so we could find out who's a racist as soon as they're not appointed a senior minister position.

I absolutely can't stand these minority claims. There are not more female TDs because not enough ran and there isn't a substantial amount of quality candidates, the reason most of the cabinet is from Dublin is that that's where the most senior and strongest candidates come from, the reason Joan Burton got a hard time off Vincent Brown is because everyone does, not because she has a vagina, and having a penis isn't a requirement for the position of minsiter for Public Expenditure and Reform, and it was awarded to a very able politician and if I was leader of the Government, Joan Burton would be relegated to the back benches and would never feature in any shape or form in my plans, as she's a whinger and takes advantage of a minority claim. If she was black and 80 years old, she'd be saying it was racist and ageisim too...

Ugggh, hate people like that. You didn't get it, suck it up, stop looking for excuses beyond your own inadequacies.

If anybody ever makes a claim of racisim of sexisim, they better be right about that claim, because that card played faulsely once is enough to be blacklisted in my book.

[Jackass] wrote: »

Ugggh, hate people like that. You didn't get it, suck it up, stop looking for excuses beyond your own inadequacies.

If anybody ever makes a claim of racisim of sexisim, they better be right about that claim, because that card played faulsely once is enough to be blacklisted in my book.

Do you think that it is in the public interest for us to know whether Minister Burton was the person who spoke to the Times and whether or not she thinks Gilmore & Kenny are sexist .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Well, yes, I think whoever made the comment shouldn't fire a sniper bullet across the political forecourt and should not have the cowardice to hide behind anonymity and to come out and make this (very serious) allegation in the full front of the public, and give evidence and reasons for it, instead of assassinating someones character with no risk to yourself through your lack of any substance to the allegation, but no one knows your identity, so you get to throw the muck, not back it up and have no accountability.

Despicable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Wouldn't Enda and Eamon have to believe that Joan is in fact a woman for them to be considered sexist? :D

Such a silly claim by the feminist movement or is it just the media trying to undermine the government early in it's lifecycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Burton's problem isn't her sex, it's her party. FG got finance, which she was suited to, Labour got PS reform which she wasn't suited to. Getting the public sector unions to agree to real reform will take a lot of tact which is a quality that I don't believe she has.
    Gilmore has made a very difficult call here, in doing what he believed was the best for the country, but of course he will be labelled a sexist for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

Even Vincent Browne is pissed off at Joan being shafted. He claimed that she had a huge understanding of the economy after nearly a decade as Finance SP and how along with Noonan, Bruton and Rabbitte had been one of the four people most expert in Opposition over the past few years so he didn't understand Howlin getting the job either.

Joan appears to have gone into hiding as a result. No comment since she was shafted - same goes for Gilmore. They will need to clear this up asap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

SB-08 wrote: »
    Even Vincent Browne is pissed off at Joan being shafted. He claimed that she had a huge understanding of the economy after nearly a decade as Finance SP and how along with Noonan, Bruton and Rabbitte had been one of the four people most expert in Opposition over the past few years so he didn't understand Howlin getting the job either.

Joan appears to have gone into hiding as a result. No comment since she was shafted - same goes for Gilmore. They will need to clear this up asap.

Her knowledge of the economy is irrelevant to the role though. Pubic Sector reform isn't about economic knowledge but negotiation skills and contacts in the trade unions. It really isn't a finance spokesperson's automatic role at all.

Social Protection on the other hand is a very large spending department, key to Labour's traditional core value of social fairness and generally an important position in the cabinet. It's not like she was made Minister for the Arts or Children or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

nesf wrote: »
    Social Protection on the other hand is a very large spending department, key to Labour's traditional core value of social fairness and generally an important position in the cabinet.

Maybe Joan should take a public gung-ho "I'll take no sh&t from you shower of welfare spongers" attitude to her new role? Her Ministerial colleagues would have collective heart failure but a sizable segment of the voting public would back her forever after. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I wonder if Alan Shatter is complaining he didnt get a bigger brief? :rolleyes:

SB-08 wrote: »
    Even Vincent Browne is pissed off at Joan being shafted. He claimed that she had a huge understanding of the economy after nearly a decade as Finance

he would know after running magill into the ground.:rolleyes:

Burton has no experience and neither has noonan etc -what have they run

Is this going to be a pattern

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

When you use language like 'histrionics' you give credence to the accusations of sexism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Sexism, it seems to me, some people want it to become to Ireland, what black guilt from slavery is to the USA. I would also take the view that Burton would not be a good negotiator and therefore a liability in Howlins current position.

I would say "was to the USA" however I very much doubt that's been rectified even with the election of Obama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

When you use language like 'histrionics' you give credence to the accusations of sexism.

Why?

Histrionic: -adjective & noun -adj. 1 of or concerning actors and acting. 2 (of behaviour) theatrical, dramatic. -n. 1. (in plural) a. insincere and dramatic behaviour designed to impress. b. threatricals; theatric art. 2. archaic an actor [Late Latin histrionicus, from Latin histrio -onis actor]

(Concise Oxford Dictionary, 8th ed.)

Seems to me a perfectly apt description of her extraordinary behaviour on Vincent Browne's programme. Nothing sexist about it. When you bandy about baseless accusations of sexism in this way you give credence to the view that some people automatically assume all criticism of women politicians is sexist.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Lyanna

Just to toss this in here - it's from the Irish Times today, and this quote is attributed:
    The appointment of Frances Fitzgerald as a Minister is welcome, and it is important that we start taking the rights of children seriously. Asked if it wasn’t stereotypical, Ruairí Quinn said lamely that “women know more about children than men because they spend more time with them”.
    I'm not saying Joan Burton is necessarily the victim of sexism, but with this kind of attitude being displayed it's definitely possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Aparantly the word from inside (an uncle is a long term member of the party) is that in addition to her being quite un popular within the party she nearly scuppered the negotiations. Howlin rescued the deal showing how much better he was at negotiation.

not sexism just her being crap

Advertisement