Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

backgound checks

Options
  • 12-03-2011 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

would a drink driving conviction/charge 8 years old come up in a background check for a job? Should I put it down or leave it out on the form

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If by background check you mean garda vetting, then yes, I believe it would come up.

Far better to admit to it up front, than not. If you don't say, and they find out about it from elsewhere it makes you look dishonest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

JustMary wrote: »
    If by background check you mean garda vetting, then yes, I believe it would come up.

Far better to admit to it up front, than not. If you don't say, and they find out about it from elsewhere it makes you look dishonest.

No not necessarily. As far as I know drink driving charges are cleared from your record after a certain period of time. Check it out with the guards first. they're obliged to tell you whats on your official record

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭betonit

thank you both. Im going to go with honesty but check with the gaurds first

i have the job could it withdrawn because of this type of conviction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

betonit wrote: »
    would a drink driving conviction/charge 8 years old come up in a background check for a job? Should I put it down or leave it out on the form

What exactly were you asked? If you were asked "have you ever received a conviction for drink driving" the answer is YES.

If the question was "have you ever been convicted of a criminal offence" the answer is NO.

It's not that difficult.

For example, my brother was once asked did he have any convictions. He answered "no" because he didn't think they'd care about a conviction for careless driving. It showed up in his background check and they told him he wasn't suitable for the job, not because of the conviction but because of the omission.

• Advertisement

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    What exactly were you asked? If you were asked "have you ever received a conviction for drink driving" the answer is YES.

If the question was "have you ever been convicted of a criminal offence" the answer is NO.

It's not that difficult.

For example, my brother was once asked did he have any convictions. He answered "no" because he didn't think they'd care about a conviction for careless driving. It showed up in his background check and they told him he wasn't suitable for the job, not because of the conviction but because of the omission.

But is it a criminal offence, if so Id have to put it down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

But is it a criminal offence, if so Id have to put it down

Drink driving, particularly over certain limits, has been criminalised in a lot of countries including the UK. But if you got your conviction in Ireland it's a motoring offence therefore you could answer in the negative if you're asked whether you've been arrested/convicted of a criminal offence.

i have the job could it withdrawn because of this type of conviction

Possibly: It depends on the job, and whether the offence is relevant to it.

JustMary wrote: »
    Possibly: It depends on the job, and whether the offence is relevant to it.

finance dept of medical devices company

Probably not relevant then ... unless your job includes driving the company van in to get its NCT!

Best to be totally honest about it though, 'cos otherwise it looks like a piece of knowledge that someone could use to bribe you.

• Advertisement

im putting it down thanks all

Advertisement