Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginners kayak courses in dublin???

Options
  • 12-03-2011 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Can anybody recommend a kayak club in dublin. Im interested in doing a begiiners course, at an entry level.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Robertd_07

Wild Water Kayak Club

They run courses starting in May. Based in Dublin, Strawberry Beds.
    Robert

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭rothai

There used to be a 2day weekend course which you gave you your level 2 on completion, anyone know if this course is going to run this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Mountain-Master

Somebody recommend wild water kayak club to me. As well as your level 2 course you get 18 months membership and use of the club gear

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PatLucan

I did the beginners course with WWKC three or four years ago, and it was so much fun I stuck with it. I'm kayaking in the Grand Canyon this summer.

All the details of this years courses are on the website http://www.wwkc.net/index.php/courses

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Can I ask what age a kids can start. I have a 6 year old going on for 7 and would be interested in doing a course with him if that was possible?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

WWKC ftw!

Super club altogether :)

For questions about courses at WWKC, send a mail to the clubs beginners officer at beginners@wwkc.net

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

I have emailed wild water kayak club asking them about their beginners course. Seems to get good recommendations, plus it's 10-15 min walk from me. Does anyone know what day of the week they hold the course training on and the time it might usually be held on? Also, would €200 for 6 weeks seem like a reasonable price? I'm definitely going to do something this summer with kayaking so really looking forward to it.

It's not only 200 for the course but you get oodles of extras like membership for a good few months and access to all of the river trips after you have secured your level 2 assessment which is also included in the 200, not to mention the use of all the club gear including boats!

Great deal tbh

all info here - http://www.wwkc.net/index.php/courses

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

wwkc for sure! They are not just giving lessons they are giving you a whole follow on with club trips and weekends away all year round!

They also have all different styles of kayaking in the club so while you may start with a river course, once you have this under your belt you might want to try something different like polo, wildwater, slalom... they have it all and are welcoming and really helpful!

Theres no point in taking lessons if you have noone to go paddling with after cause its not really a solo sport :D
    good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

silverharp wrote: »
    Can I ask what age a kids can start. I have a 6 year old going on for 7 and would be interested in doing a course with him if that was possible?

Generally 8 years of age is when kids are allowed to start, but it would depend on the club. I don't know of anywhere that has kids and adults in the same lessons though. As a practise I'd imagine it's discouraged for obvious reasons. Maybe some of the commercial providers (as opposed to clubs) may organise sessions which could suit though.

WWKC have a large Junior section and I think the kids start as young a 8 (not certain). I think it's run mostly in the pool for the younger kids, nice warm safe environment, although they are taken out in groups on the river from time to time

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭kelzer

What is the age range of people doing the beginners course at WWKC? I'm 31 :)

kelzer wrote: »
    What is the age range of people doing the beginners course at WWKC? I'm 31 :)

I would say from 25 to 45, and thats from two groups I'm helping out on.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭RadarControl

I enrolled in the beginners course with WWKC starting in June. Looking forward to it. I have done a bit of kayaking before but spent more time in water than in kayak. I know everything is supplied by WWKC but anybody recommend any equipment that should purchase before course starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

You don't need to buy anything, although if you can get your hands on a wetsuit it wouldn't be any harm!

I enrolled in the beginners course with WWKC starting in June. Looking forward to it. I have done a bit of kayaking before but spent more time in water than in kayak. I know everything is supplied by WWKC but anybody recommend any equipment that should purchase before course starts.

As Ken says, the club supplies everything a wetsuit would be ideal ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Some shorty wetsuits still in Aldi fonthill, maybe trawl the other stores to see if they have full length ones.

Do they not provide wetsuits or just reccommend you have your own? for fit/size
    I must look up some courses for the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

Signed up for June too. Looking forward to it. How often are the trips away? That's pretty much the reason I signed up.

Signed up for June too. Looking forward to it. How often are the trips away? That's pretty much the reason I signed up.

After your course the river trips are every 2nd week. Trips to Bundoran, Achill and Kerry are every so often. If you progress to level 3 you can go on foreign trips like the Alps through the ICU. Look forward to seeing you on the water ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Possedion

does the course in June start on 24th May?

Possedion wrote: »
    does the course in June start on 24th May?

Here are the details for the courses, there is one left that is filling up fast.

http://www.wwkc.net/index.php/courses

Advertisement