Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classical Guitar Lessons

Options
  • 12-03-2011 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can get Classical Guitar lessons in the area?

I've been playing ''guitar'' from a very young age. Recently I've been delving into the Classical Guitar world. I'd like to get some lessons to make sure I'm doing the right thing when learning musical scores for certain pieces. I'd like to take it from scratch if possible

well....if you know of anyone pm me or reply within this thread.

Thanks

Onesimus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Hi Onesimus,

Have you checked our handy-dandy thread of music teachers at the top of the page? You might find someone there.

You didn't say what area you're in, but if you're in Dublin you'll be spoiled for choice. Walton's is a popular choice, but there are lots of good schools around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Hi Onesimus,

Have you checked our handy-dandy thread of music teachers at the top of the page? You might find someone there.

You didn't say what area you're in, but if you're in Dublin you'll be spoiled for choice. Walton's is a popular choice, but there are lots of good schools around.

Thanks Mad Hatter. If I'm Dublin? *blush* I'm in Louth *hangs head* lol.

With classical guitar do they assess your playing ability first before deciding what grade you should jump to or be in? or does everyone have to start from scratch?

Onesimus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Onesimus wrote: »
    Thanks Mad Hatter. If I'm Dublin? *blush* I'm in Louth *hangs head* lol.

With classical guitar do they assess your playing ability first before deciding what grade you should jump to or be in? or does everyone have to start from scratch?

Onesimus

Apologies, Onesimus - I didn't mean to offend you or your fine county :P

I think any instrumental teacher worth their salt will take you at a skill level that's appropriate to you, and if you've been playing for years you probably won't be asked to start again. Probably the first thing you'll be asked to do is to play something, just so they have some idea of your level. You're learning a different way of playing the instrument, though, not a different instrument entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

Anyone know where I can get Classical Guitar lessons in the area?

I've been playing ''guitar'' from a very young age. Recently I've been delving into the Classical Guitar world. I'd like to get some lessons to make sure I'm doing the right thing when learning musical scores for certain pieces. I'd like to take it from scratch if possible
    Hi Omesimus, I done the same thing many years ago. Basically I had to start from scratch for two reasons;
    1)New playing technique and
    2)Learn to read music.
    Can be frustrating at first but is ultimately very rewarding.
    Enjoy.

Thanks for your replies so far. Well I understand that it is a different technique. I've fully learned the Ave Maria by Franz Schubert this week and I worked on it from morning to night getting all the placements right with the exception of a few hickups here and there that need polishing but other than that works out fine. I can also play a menuet by robert de visse but thats as far as my classical fingers can stretch to at the moment. I'm in dire need of lessons to help polish the technique. For example: I find that when playing Ave Maria I need to be on the ball with the chords. Chords such as: C#dim that like to make those fingers stretch. As I went along I discovered that the main thing to do is to relax and not tense up as it makes the notes sound better and so on. I also found the footstool posture to help and it gives me more room to get those whopping yet beautiful chords.

I understand the need to learn music and I'm willing to give it ago however tabs along with the musical notes would be much more helpful to me and I could learn the song and the musical notes at the same time. This, I find, would be more enjoyable and keep me interested.

Thanks again for your replies. Look forward to hearing from you again.

Onesimus

• Advertisement

Learning to read music can be quite a daunting prospect but it is really straigtforward when done correctly, with a good teacher at the right pace. It also compliments the learning of the new technique, which is a lot more than just picking the strings. I do believe it is essential to start off with a teacher to get the basics done right as it is more difficult to have to relearn something than it was to learn it in the first place. Posture, right and left hand positions, nail length are all critical to being totally relaxed with your instrument. Such fun!!!!! Enjoy.

Eph1958 wrote: »
    Learning to read music can be quite a daunting prospect but it is really straigtforward when done correctly, with a good teacher at the right pace. It also compliments the learning of the new technique, which is a lot more than just picking the strings. I do believe it is essential to start off with a teacher to get the basics done right as it is more difficult to have to relearn something than it was to learn it in the first place. Posture, right and left hand positions, nail length are all critical to being totally relaxed with your instrument. Such fun!!!!! Enjoy.

Would a simple book like music theory for dummies be suitable to get? Also I have a question about the changing of strings. how often should I change the classical strings? some people are actually telling me that nylon strings never need changing. lol

I have a teacher who pm'ed me. Gonna get back to him when I can sort out some sort of lift to Dublin and back maybe once or twice a month.

Thanks for all your help so far.

Onesimus

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Well nylon strings don't rust, so really it's up to you when/if you want to change them. I've had classical guitars in storage for months/years and the strings are fine when I break them out.

The metal wound bass strings tend to get dull and a bit muted after a while, depending on how much you play and need changing but the nylon trebles are ok for longer. After a year or two though they become difficult to tune. Enjoy the lessons........ let the music begin!!

well thats what I thought. The metal wound bass strings on my guitar at the moment are dull and discolored. Most probable explanation is that it has been hanging in the shop for too long. Therefore I'd have to change the strings by now. I've just ordered in the Deer Hunter - Cavatina sheet music ( with tab ) in but will need help with that techniqie and right hand plucking no doubt. Is it ok to the get a thumb and finger picks? or would that be the height of bad manners in the classical world? :pac:

Thanks for all your help again. I'm prayin that I somehow get that lift organised for dub.

• Advertisement

Hi, if my memory is right it was the Deerhunter that caught my attention too...and that was when the film came out originally!!!! Lovely piece, but the original played by Mr Williams is deceptive and fiendishly difficult in places. You may have ordered an easier version. Finger picks are not usually used to play CG as they are more of a hindrance than a help. It can take a few weeks to get comfortable playing with nails (and they don't have to be very long) but once this happens, the sound you produce will improve immensely. Your strings are still playable, new strings can be tempremental and difficult to keep in tune until played in. Enjoy.

Well I've only ever heard John Williams version more so than the original. I think I've heard the original. It does sound slower than Williams version and more at an easy pace.

I got it off sheetmusicplus.com but I def think its williams version I ordered. I'll go ahead and order the original as well as its only a few dollars for it.

I've the first few bars of it down already from the tiny sample sheet given but thats about it. Takes a lot of practice and dedication to get it on the button. A lot of good stretching involved in them there fingers. Must admit I'd aching hands and fingers ( the bones not tips as they are already hard from my years of playin ) all week but now they are gone. Bit like going to the gym and experienciing those muscles waking up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Any time I pick up a guitar I always end up playing this, I absolutely love it, and this is a great cover of it, although not 100% like the original.

Original...

Fantastic.

You can play this? Fair play to ya.

Is there a score sheet around for it?

What kind of classical cds/artists should I go out, buy and listen to? must feed myself with this music and become engrossed in it. But needing that direction. Also along with the cds what about dvds of concerts?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 homebrew.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQrxeSfKfsY
    this guy norwegian, great player. alan grundy in dublin guitar school tis a good player/teacher

Thanks Homebrew. Had a look at that norweigen guy. Very good. I heard him do the Cheers theme song on the classical. Went on his site to see if I could purchase the score for it there but he didnt have it on it. :confused::(

Great player though I must admit.

Onesimus

Thanks Homebrew. Had a look at that norweigen guy. Very good. I heard him do the Cheers theme song on the classical. Went on his site to see if I could purchase the score for it there but he didnt have it on it. :confused::(

Great player though I must admit.

Onesimus

Hi, The lute suites by Bach are pretty advanced. There are some easy(ish) movements amongst them but in general are fairly heavy stuff, and probably amongst the finest in the cg repertoire ('might get a few disagreeing with me here!!). Since there is no copyright on music this old it is available free of charge. The allemande referred to above is from the suite below...pg4&5...enjoy!!!!

http://www.classicalguitarschool.net/music/1121.pdf

Advertisement