Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thread in History Forum

Options
  • 12-03-2011 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I hope I am not been cheeky posting here.

I have started a thread in History & Heritage called "Gay Old Ireland".

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71125722#post71125722

Sometimes I pick a topic from a "lore" or heritage point of view that is overlooked .

It is not meant to be a history or debate on old morals etc more snapshots of people, personalities, locations and events. Factual & referenced is good.

I have started it off with a few I know about.

Thanks

CDfm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

That's quite interesting - someone mentioned to me a few years ago about a Dublin public toilet that was knocked down that had for years been a cruising ground

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

LOL - what I am trying to do is sift thru factual stuff and keep away from
    urban myths. I havent come accross convictions for that.

Anyway - if you do not have a source Brianthebard would probably edit it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Definitely going back to have a look at brehon law, that's definitely not what they taught me in primary school...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

The info is very sparse - but post what you find.

We have kept Patrick Pearse out of it because that is an emotive subject and you cant look at stuff critically or for entertainment with that debate.

I have done other threads on executions and punishments, witches, cowboys & soldiers,seafares, and famous graves -where are they buried. So the topic was a gap. You would have expected to see something on it but it wasn't there or was airbrushed out.

You have to be careful on the law side.

An example being, in Brehon law ,it is popular belief there was no death penalty but I have found references to it- the Brehons were not all lovey dovey and it is an oral tradition and they did not write stuff down.

Also, pre-reformation as far as I can see , some issues were dealt with by ecclesiastical courts and it may well be that church records were destroyed.

I dont let that stop me.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I know its sonetimes frowned on to bump old threads but I see no harm in it

This is interesting

http://www.historyworkshop.org.uk/gay-health-action-and-the-fight-against-aids-in-1980s-ireland/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Very interesting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

That's quite interesting - someone mentioned to me a few years ago about a Dublin public toilet that was knocked down that had for years been a cruising ground

I learned recently that Burgh Quay next to O'Connell Bridge in Dublin was a notorious pick up area for rent boys up to the 90s and that a restaurant next to the now demolished Screen cinema (the Metro Burger) was where punters and their pick ups sometimes congregated as it was a late night cafe.

Rice's pub where Stephens Green SC now stands was an unofficial gay bar as was Bartleys and Dunne where Break For The Border on Stephens Street/Mercer Street now stands.

Advertisement