Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does 'dated furniture' mean?

Options
  • 12-03-2011 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭

I just came across a house to rent on rent.ie

The description of the place speaks of 'DATED furniture', just like this, in capital letters.

Has anyone a clue, what is meant by this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Could be old..dated, well worn furniture

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭clouds

Kind of old fashioned I think.

That or priceless antiques once belonging to Marie Antoinette, or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

The capitals are a bit odd, but I would take it to mean serviceable but old stuff- ie maybe a scruffed velvet sofa, '70's print carpet, black laquered cabinets from the 1980's, that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Old dirty smelly falling apart sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

The owner just added a picture, seems to be kid of old alright. But the capital letters are gone now ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

As long as he doesn't mean carbon dated furniture you'll be fine :D

Last year my house had a leopard skin couch, all I could imagine was the "Are you trying to seduce me Ms. Robinson?" scene when sitting on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Dated = 'In bits'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Dated furniture in this context generally mean furniture that is out of fashion (eg gaudy or ugly patterns/looks/appearances that were once in style but now look unattractive today. The furniture can still be immaculately kept and comfortable as the day it was bought but again in the context of a rental ad, it probably means the furniture has seen better days.

It doesn't necessarily mean old as you would not refer to immaculately kept priceless but ancient antique furniture (as seen in palaces/stately homes) as dated. Likewise, a lot of old furniture from the 50s/60s/70s (or other decades of choice) etc has become retro and therefore has become cool, current and attractive all over again so would also not be referred to as dated.

Dated in itself is a subjective term as what is hideous to one person will be viewed as a gem or beauty to another.

Advertisement