Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router settings - help needed!

Options
  • 12-03-2011 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm currently an Eircom broadband customer with the Zyxel 660 router. Unfortunately the range of it isn't sufficient to reach everywhere in my home, so I've bought an Asus RT-N13 router and a length of ethernet cable.

Basically I want to plug the ethernet cable into the LAN 1 port on the Zyxel router, running the cable upstairs, and plug the other end of the cable into the WAN port of the Asus router.

Perhaps naively, I thought that I could just plug it all in and it'd work straight away. Unfortunately that didn't work out! I've tried using the auto setup features in the Asus router's firmware, but to no avail.

Would anyone here be able to give me any help as to how I should configure the router(s) to work like this? Alternatively, would it be possible to configure the Asus router as a wireless repeater to extend the range of my wireless network?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭PenguinMan

I haven't tried this myself, but this might be of help to you.
    http://compnetworking.about.com/od/routers/f/two_routers.htm

Hope it works :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

number_1 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm currently an Eircom broadband customer with the Zyxel 660 router. Unfortunately the range of it isn't sufficient to reach everywhere in my home, so I've bought an Asus RT-N13 router and a length of ethernet cable.

Basically I want to plug the ethernet cable into the LAN 1 port on the Zyxel router, running the cable upstairs, and plug the other end of the cable into the WAN port of the Asus router.

Perhaps naively, I thought that I could just plug it all in and it'd work straight away. Unfortunately that didn't work out! I've tried using the auto setup features in the Asus router's firmware, but to no avail.

Would anyone here be able to give me any help as to how I should configure the router(s) to work like this? Alternatively, would it be possible to configure the Asus router as a wireless repeater to extend the range of my wireless network?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Hi number_1

this link to setting up third party modems might help. If not you could contact our tech support team on 1890260260, nut as equipment is not eircom may not be able to advise you.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭number_1

Thanks for the help! I managed to get it working in the end after much tinkering in the Asus router's settings.

First I went to Administration -> Operation Mode and selected "Access Point". Then I went to Wireless -> Bridge. Here I added the MAC address of my Zyxel router to the remote bridge list. I changed the AP mode to AP only, and selected a channel. Then I went to Wireless -> General. Here I changed to open authentication and enabled WEP 128 bit encryption with a new password. I also turned off automatic channel selection and chose the same channel selected earlier. Finally I went to the settings page on the Zyxel router. Here I changed the security settings to those on the Asus router, and changed the channels settings to match too.

Now it works perfectly with the ethernet cable connected to a LAN port on the Zyxel router and a LAN port on the Asus router. It doesn't seem to work as a wireless repeater unfortunately, but that's ok as I have a long length of ethernet cable to connect them upstairs and downstairs! I would have preferred to use WPA security but the Asus router said that it would only work with another Asus router, and that WEP was required with other brands. I don't mind using a static channel number as I can change it if there's ever any congestion on that channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

number_1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the help! I managed to get it working in the end after much tinkering in the Asus router's settings.

First I went to Administration -> Operation Mode and selected "Access Point". Then I went to Wireless -> Bridge. Here I added the MAC address of my Zyxel router to the remote bridge list. I changed the AP mode to AP only, and selected a channel. Then I went to Wireless -> General. Here I changed to open authentication and enabled WEP 128 bit encryption with a new password. I also turned off automatic channel selection and chose the same channel selected earlier. Finally I went to the settings page on the Zyxel router. Here I changed the security settings to those on the Asus router, and changed the channels settings to match too.

Now it works perfectly with the ethernet cable connected to a LAN port on the Zyxel router and a LAN port on the Asus router. It doesn't seem to work as a wireless repeater unfortunately, but that's ok as I have a long length of ethernet cable to connect them upstairs and downstairs! I would have preferred to use WPA security but the Asus router said that it would only work with another Asus router, and that WEP was required with other brands. I don't mind using a static channel number as I can change it if there's ever any congestion on that channel.

Hi number1
    happy to hear that:D and thanks for posting your solution.
    Tony

Advertisement