Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

minimalist running Saucony Kinvara v Nike free 3.0

Options
  • 12-03-2011 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi
    I was wondering if anyone out there has had experience with both the Saucony Kinvara and Nike free 3.0. After a long succession of injuries i have been running reasonably successfully with the nike free 3.0 for the last couple of months allbeit over short distances. Even though I have found them an excellent shoe for forcing me to change my running gait i have found them quite tough on my lower legs. I feel as though i might need something that has a slightly more "shoe-like" feel to it for when i begin to up my distance but still want to continue running in the minimalist ethos. I have heard great things about the saucony kinvara and was wondering if any running buffs have tried both
    cheers
    James

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I like Nike lunar-racer as an every day shoe. 200g each for a size 10, they are a lightweight racer but have enough support for running in every day. Have you tried Nike free run? Its what they call the free 5.0 these days, meant to have a little more support than the 3.0

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

I have both of them in the shoe rotation at the moment. I'd say the Kinvara is what you are after. The sole feels thicker and it has more mid foot support. The upper is great on the Kinvara. I got mine in Amphibian King in Bray - super shop.

Personally I prefer the 3.0, but then I don't have any issues with the lower legs. The edition before this current one is my all-time favourite shoe. You could also try the Free Run +, which is a step above the 3.0.

^ Got there before me :cool: I might have a look at that Lunar Racer myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I have read a few reviews that have described the lunar racer as a much more minimalist shoe that the Nike Free's. The 'free' bit is a bit of a marketing gimmick.

I have the Lunar Racers myself. They wouldn't last me much longer than a half marathon as my gait gets a bit wonky as I tire though I know of others that run ultras in them.

Most racing flats and cross country spikes (you can by them without the spikes) are pretty minimalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jimmypnufc

thanks for all the feedback...think i'll take the plunge with a pair of kinvaras...anyone any advice on how they fit-had to send my nike frees back and reorder a full size up...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

menoscemo wrote: »
    I have read a few reviews that have described the lunar racer as a much more minimalist shoe that the Nike Free's. The 'free' bit is a bit of a marketing gimmick.

I have the Lunar Racers myself. They wouldn't last me much longer than a half marathon as my gait gets a bit wonky as I tire though I know of others that run ultras in them.

Most racing flats and cross country spikes (you can by them without the spikes) are pretty minimalist.

The lunar Racers are like boots in comparison to the 3.0s. They're not much more than socks, the Free + are a far more substantial shoe though.

The lunar Racers are like boots in comparison to the 3.0s.

Are you confusing Lunar Racers with Lunar Glides?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

cwgatling wrote: »
    I have both of them in the shoe rotation at the moment. I'd say the Kinvara is what you are after. The sole feels thicker and it has more mid foot support. The upper is great on the Kinvara. I got mine in Amphibian King in Bray - super shop.

Personally I prefer the 3.0, but then I don't have any issues with the lower legs. The edition before this current one is my all-time favourite shoe. You could also try the Free Run +, which is a step above the 3.0.

Very interested in the triangular lugs on the outsole of the Kinvara. They are for weight control but would the grip be good?

Im looking for a racer for a race with road and mountain.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

T runner wrote: »
    Very interested in the triangular lugs on the outsole of the Kinvara. They are for weight control but would the grip be good?

I've worn the Kinvaras on a damp track and there was one or two minor slips. Not sure how good the grip would be on the hills.

@Jimmy - the kinvara's are a snug fit but I haven't had any problems from getting the same size as my normal road shoes. Was worried when I first tried them on but they've turned out ok.

Trunner, I had a look there and they are the best-gripped of all my shoes (Free 3, Run Plus, Mizuno Wave Musha, Asics DS Racer) in that those lugs stick out a fair bit from the sole in the forefoot. I don't do any mountain running, but I've worn them on trails and never had a bother. If you're in Dublin and want to take them for a spin, be my guest.

In terms of sizing, I'm a 10 in the Kinvara, 9.5 in the Nikes and 9 in everything else! To be honest, I could probably use a 10 in the Free 3.0's too, but I got them online and couldn't be bothered sending them back.

• Advertisement

thanks again for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

menoscemo wrote: »
    Are you confusing Lunar Racers with Lunar Glides?

Nope...

nike-lunar-racer-2-mens-21.jpg

Nike-Free-3.0-II-Mens-Running-Shoe-354574_005_A.png

As I said, the free 3.0s are like socks in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Nope...

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

lunar racer 1 is much nicer than racer 2 IMO, bought a pair last week in the US. Guy in the shop said that Nike have started making them again after the less than positive reception of the 2.

Nope...

Fair enough. For me the Lunar racers a re like socks and certainly weigh no more than a slipper!! It's a bit unfair to say they are like wearing a boot. Anyways, you have got me intested in the Nike Free 3.0s, anywhere in ireland that stocks them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

mloc123 wrote: »
    lunar racer 1 is much nicer than racer 2 IMO, bought a pair last week in the US. Guy in the shop said that Nike have started making them again after the less than positive reception of the 2.

I agree fully. I love the racer 1 and think they really screwed up big time with the racer 2.

Incidentally, I've heard the rumours of the original design being resurrected as well. great stuff, my last pair of the original racers is on the way out.

When I was buying the Kinvara's I was mulling between them and the free. I chose the kinvara's because I'm in love with Saucony..

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

hi,
    i'm looking for advice.

when is one ready for a 'minimalist' shoe? I normally wear Saucony neutral shoes, and am curious to try out the Kinvara's.

i'm running Connemara so would need to have new shoes broken in soon, so need to buy shoes asap.
    Should i stick to Pro Grid's or something for now, and experiment later in year, (Berlin is main target for 2011).

I've done over 500 miles this year, injury free (1780miles 2010) so i don't want to cause difficulties for myself, by introducing something new just for the sake of it.

any ideas?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055838513

Just discovered this thread and am 1. embarrassed by my lack of variety in running shoe collection & 2. embarrassed by my lack of knowledge of the 50 zillion types of runners for different things!

I'd wait till after Connemara before considering wearing the kinvara's for long distances. They are very light and slipper like completely different from your average saucony shoe. You could get them now and use them for your shorter runs, don't think you'd have built up to whatever distance you're doing in Conn in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Woundedknee.

jb-ski wrote: »
    hi,
    i'm looking for advice.

I've done over 500 miles this year, injury free (1780miles 2010) so i don't want to cause difficulties for myself, by introducing something new just for the sake of it.

any ideas?

Are you looking to fix something that isn't broke? I'd say stick with what you have and maybe try a racing flat for racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

@RQ, i think that's good advice. probably not a good time for experimenting.

@WK, as usual i'm looking for any alternative to improve without traing harder (better):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

As someone who has always been told they pronate I decided recently to switch from supported runners to minimalist runners. I bought a pair of Kinvara only a few weeks ago and found I had them broken in after only a week. I'm doing all my runs in them, including a long run every week, and I've found them to be great. I've never run in Nike Free so can't compare but I can definitely recommend the Kinvara.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

finlma wrote: »
    As someone who has always been told they pronate I decided recently to switch from supported runners to minimalist runners. I bought a pair of Kinvara only a few weeks ago and found I had them broken in after only a week. I'm doing all my runs in them, including a long run every week, and I've found them to be great. I've never run in Nike Free so can't compare but I can definitely recommend the Kinvara.

Did you change your style when you changed to flatter shoes ? i.e. change from heel first strike to midfoot ?

Did you change your style when you changed to flatter shoes ? i.e. change from heel first strike to midfoot ?

Before changing shoes I was making an effort to become a forefoot runner and it seems to happen naturally in the Kinvara. I had stiff calves at first but that went and any shin pain that I suffered from previously is gone too.

finlma wrote: »
    Before changing shoes I was making an effort to become a forefoot runner and it seems to happen naturally in the Kinvara. I had stiff calves at first but that went and any shin pain that I suffered from previously is gone too.

I wonder how durable these sort of shoes - lunaracer and kinvara are - anybody who has used them until end-of-life care to comment on how many miles they get versus conventional shoes? would the fact that they have less cushioning to start with mean that soon there is inadequate cushioning?

I bought my nike free 3.0@s off the nike website...about a week for delivery but definately go a whole size bigger than your everyday footwear

glasso wrote: »
    would the fact that they have less cushioning to start with mean that soon there is inadequate cushioning?

I think the whole point is that the amount of cushioning is minimal. Its basically recreating running barefoot but with a little protection for the foot.

I'll come back in a few months and let you know what condition they're in.

So far though I much prefer them to anything I've run in before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

glasso wrote: »
    I wonder how durable these sort of shoes - lunaracer and kinvara are - anybody who has used them until end-of-life care to comment on how many miles they get versus conventional shoes? would the fact that they have less cushioning to start with mean that soon there is inadequate cushioning?

I put 600 miles on my previous pair of lunaracers.

The upper got a cut on one shoe well before that, but it did not stop me from wearing them.

My present pair has about 350 miles on them now. Weirdly enough, one of them just developed the same fault as the previous pair in the same position. I'm still going to wear them for my next marathon, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭pablo t

T runner wrote: »

try the inov 8 f-lite 230s t runner. very low profile heel, extremely flexible sole and light too. i do 90% of my mileage in them and they are fine for the road and provide a reasonable grip off road. you might want a little more grip for very muddy conditions.
    I'll be wearing them on saturday for the Wicklow Way Ultra and would imagine that they will be perfect for the underfoot conditions of that race. Road shoes would be fine for that course anyway

Heres a link for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

pablo t wrote: »
    try the inov 8 f-lite 230s t runner. very low profile heel, extremely flexible sole and light too. i do 90% of my mileage in them and they are fine for the road and provide a reasonable grip off road. you might want a little more grip for very muddy conditions.
    I'll be wearing them on saturday for the Wicklow Way Ultra and would imagine that they will be perfect for the underfoot conditions of that race. Road shoes would be fine for that course anyway

Heres a link for them

Hi Pablo,

Thanks for that. I will consider them for a dry day. Unfortunately this descent is steep grass so they may not have the lenght of lug to cut into the grass and stop slippage on a wetter day.

Im looking at the Saucony Peregrine for a wet day option, which is in the same range as the Kinvara. 258 grams and grip looks agressive. Dont know how they'll run on the road though.

Might get a apir of th f-lites anyway. good pair to have for summer running
    Thanks again

T Runner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Where does one buy these minimal shoes ? The normal shops like elverys, runways etc. don't seem to have them. The only things I have seen is the VFFs in 53 Degrees north and the Merrel Trail Glove in Schuh. I'm not sure about either of these though

Advertisement