Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms in the Rathfarnham area

Options
  • 12-03-2011 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

I'm just about to move into the Rathfarnham area and am looking for a decent gym. I'm particularly interested in weight training so it would need a good selection of free weights: lots of dumbbells, bars etc.

A google search brings up two: Energie Fitness & Rock Fitness. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations about these or any others in the region?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Total fitness is the best gym in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 DonkyDonk

Thanks for that. I looked into Total Fitness and it's definitely another contender.

It's farther away than the other two places so I'd want to be very impressed before I join :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Depending on where in Rathfarnham you will be the Carlisle Gym might be nearer to you than Total Fitness. http://bendunnegyms.com/carlisle.php

Thanks ollaetta, I forgot that there was a Ben Dunne gym in the area.

The missus is a member of one of his other gyms (nearer her work) and I found it to be very well equipped. Location is much better for me than Total Finess and the price is far better as well. Looks like this is the one to try...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

+1 for the Carlisle. Last time I checked it was far cheaper than the Total Fitness.

Only thing is it can get crowded depending on what time you going at. Try avoiding the 5:30pm - 7pm rush. However, if that's the time you're going it's not that bad. I've never had to queue for a machine.

• Advertisement

Thanks Clanket, I just checked the prices and it looks like fantastic value!

From checking the map, it looks like it's between Energie (at Nutgrove) or Carlisle at this point. I think that Energie used to be a Jackie Skelly gym. I was a member of one of their gyms before and the free weights area wasn't great: Very small with no bench press or racks, only smith machines, no olympic bars, etc.

In terms of timing, I'm an early riser myself so I'd look to be in & out long before the rush.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm moving in about 2-6 weeks time so It's nice to get that crossed off the list!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

You may knock Total Fitness from your list now.

RosieJoe wrote: »
    You may knock Total Fitness from your list now.

Saw it in the news yesterday. You got here ahead of me! :)

TF was too far away anyway. Probably gonna sign up to Ben Dunne's gym next week unless it proves to be a Total Disappointment...

Advertisement