Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will uk landline phone work here?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭C Eng

You will need an adaptor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Most modern UK phones are designed to work on a 2-wire phone connection i.e. the standard type that we use in Ireland, most of continental Europe and the US/Canada. Typically manufactures no longer make special versions for the UK. i.e. they make the same phone for all European markets and just supply different phone cables. So, in this case you can simply change the telephone cable that came with the phone for an standard Irish RJ11 to RJ11 phone cable.

I have a UK Panasonic phone and it works fine without any adaptor with an Irish cable.

However, some UK phones, particularly those made by BT itself, have a non-standard (incorrect) pin layout on the RJ11 socket on the phone itself. They also sometimes require 3rd wire ringing (i.e. the ringing signal provided on a 3rd pin). In this case, you will have to use the original cable and purchase an adaptor with a ring capacitor.

These are available from most hardware stores in Ireland and look like this :

rj11-bt.jpg?osCsid=167b0e281bf8f7cc8bfeaee08f7e2db0

Irish Caller Display is one of the EU standard variations and is similar to systems used by companies like Virgin Media and by most VoIP adaptors, so most modern UK phones will support it without any issue. BT's caller display service is a bit weird, it reverses the line polarity to indicate that it's going to send data. So, many non-UK phones won't see caller ID on UK lines. However, it's usually never an issue the other way around. The Irish system is identical to France, Germany and quite a lot of other countries. So, it's almost always supported by devices.

The "R" button will also work for call waiting as the eircom timings are the same as BT so works perfectly with eircom's call waiting services etc.

I think that Panasonic phone will be fine though. It's unlikely to need an adaptor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

thanks Solair!

appreciate you taking the time to explain that to me.

Advertisement