Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone got a tripod they might donate / sell?

• 12-03-2011 5:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I bought a motorised kit from the web. It has a 1m dish and a TM2600 motor. Where I live has no access to the belt apart from the front of my house so I intend to use a tripod and place the dish out on a temporary basis.

Has anyone a second hand tripod they are no longer using and might sell? If not are their any dealers on here who might do me a bit of a deal ?

Many thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

It will need to be a heck of a tripod made from scaffolding to support a 1m dish.

I hate to discourage you but have you considered the difficulty in re-aligning the dish each time you deploy it? It's not a 5 minute job to align a motorised dish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

I use one of these for temp set ups and testing dish/lnb combinations.
    Very easy but you will need to secure it to the ground somehow.
    Omnisat and some satellite dealers sell an almost identical tripod for twice the price.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/heavy-duty-loudspeaker-stand-3408

Here's apic of mine in use two days ago.

edit: I read your post too quickly, I missed the motor bit :o
    Forget what I said:o:o

It's only 36mm diameter. I don't think it will fit the TM2600 motor mount?

I know. I edited my post above. Sorry.

I see no need to apologise. That tripod looks like a really neat solution for a fixed dish like yours. :)

• Advertisement

I only use it for testing new dish/lnb setups. It's not stable in wind, although people do use them for camping and caravanning setups all the time, as they can be anchored to the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

Just the job if the pole can be set absolutely vertical.
    A bit pricey though. They can be got cheaper than that, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

excollier wrote: »

Thats a trade only website shouldn't really be posting links for that here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

Thanks for all the replies.

What about this?
    http://www.tvtrade.ie/tripod-satellite-mounting-bracket-50mm-100cm.html

I have emailed (Tony form here is it?) asking about adjustability. He does a video on it but no mention of plumb adjustability.

I realise that it's not a simple in / out job to setup a motorised dish. I rent an old cottage right out on the road and the only place I can put the dish is at the front. So it will have to be a temporary place where I can place the dish and take it in at times.
    Aligning will be tricky but I'd love to learn and practice and get better at it so this solution is ok for me. With the dish at the front, I am literally looking in the window at the STB and can control it with remote etc. Couldn't be handier.

My front area is on a 7-10 degree slope. I was thinking I could mount the tripod on a pallet and throw a cpl of concrete blocks on it. That's not gonna move on a fine day / night. But I need a degree os adjustability.

So what do you think of the above link? (I just need something that is somewhat adjustable on plumb)

• Advertisement

darth_maul wrote: »
    Thats a trade only website shouldn't really be posting links for that here
    Sorry, wrists slapped!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

I have used that type of mount for a 88cm triax, i can't see you having any problems with it for a 1m even motorised.
    Might just be that bit harder to get it plumb.

Folks

Many thanks for all the replies. I have this plumb finder so I think I'll just get this and be done with it. Tell me, who is tvtrade.ie - isn't that a user on here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

I have this plumb finder

What's wrong with a level ?

Is there an engineering / metal working place close to you ? They could prob do one for you .

John mac wrote: »
    What's wrong with a level ?

Not precise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's true you do need a very big level or a long plumb line down inside the pipe. I always use a level both ways round and then if it has developed an error you can see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Digital Satellite TV

dnme wrote: »
    Tell me, who is tvtrade.ie - isn't that a user on here?

yes. We've just recently joined the boards family. We operate on boards under the user name 'Digital Satellite TV'. Probably won't get to put as much time into boards as we would like but will drop by as much as we can for a lookey-see. Don't know what else can add to that really:)

yes. We've just recently joined the boards family. We operate on boards under the user name 'Digital Satellite TV'. Probably won't get to put as much time into boards as we would like but will drop by as much as we can for a lookey-see. Don't know what else can add to that really:)

Seller's emails to me this morning were a little brief so I am still asking the question, does anyone know where I might get an adjustable tripod for a 1m motirised dish?

Many thanks

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

I thouht Tvtrade [http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=18118200# joined here a few years back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Upside down heavy duty clothesline/ Whirly?

• Advertisement

scaller wrote: »
    I thouht Tvtrade [http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=18118200# joined here a few years back

One of the lads may have done it ages ago, not sure. It didn't give us an error when registering anyway with a duplicate email address which we have used since day 1, so can't answer that:confused:

Anyway, this is the one we will be using now and are going to try and make an effort to keep up.

BTW, checked that link out of curiousity but doesn't work???

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

One of the lads may have done it ages ago, not sure. It didn't give us an error when registering anyway with a duplicate email address which we have used since day 1, so can't answer that:confused:

Anyway, this is the one we will be using now and are going to try and make an effort to keep up.

BTW, checked that link out of curiousity but doesn't work???

Here is a link that works http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62560072&postcount=1 Tvtradedave is this not Dave Maher the guy in all the Youtube Videos that Tvtrade use.

scaller wrote: »
    Here is a link that works http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62560072&postcount=1 Tvtradedave is this not Dave Maher the guy in all the Youtube Videos that Tvtrade use.

Jaysus Scaller, you have some memory. We didn't even remember setting that up. To be honest, I am struggling to even remember making the few posts we did with that. This old age thing is making my brain no-workey so good:confused:

We have contacted the mods to see if we can get the old account deleted or maybe even merged. Good spot. Thanks for that.

Well my quest continues. No one doing any offers or deals. If you add delivery, a simple aluminium pole and bracket is costing silly money on some sites. Time to look for a local welder.

Advertisement