Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audit days required for auditing certificate

• 12-03-2011 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Finally finished the training contract (3 and half years is a long time) and trying to complete my CA Diary. Does anyone know the audit days required to get your auditing certificate. If i recall it was 240 days but I know a certain number of these days had to be company days.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

You probably know this, but just in case... They need to be post qual. I thought it was two years, of which x % had to be within audit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

I think you may also need some to have been attained during your training contract for aca, but could be wrong here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

http://www.charteredaccountants.ie/en/Members/Your-Institute/Apply-for/Auditing-Certificate-Application/

Note that you can do nothing with an auditing cert - CAI are actually thinking of getting rid of it - you need a practising cert to practice. the audit cert only certifies that training is done.

@smcgiff - maybe you are thinking of the 2 years post qualification before you can get a practising cert?

Or maybe its that if you are short of the 46 weeks, you have 2 years to make up to the 46 weeks.

Hi Kenny,

You need an auditing cert to perform audit work, which a practice cert doesn't permit.

A practice cert allows you to perform the work of an accountant under the supervision of your professional body, but does not permit a person/firm to conduct an audit.

I think you need 3 years in total, of which 2 must be post qualification.

smcgiff wrote: »
    Hi Kenny,

You need an auditing cert to perform audit work, which a practice cert doesn't permit.

A practice cert allows you to perform the work of an accountant under the supervision of your professional body, but does not permit a person/firm to conduct an audit.

I think you need 3 years in total, of which 2 must be post qualification.
    Agreed, sorry what i said was prob a bit confusing.

I was more trying to highlight that without a practising cert you cant practice (so have an auditing cert in itself gets you nowhere), but you can practice without an auditing cert (so long as not engaged in audit business).

I ve recently been through all this on the going into practice course and when applying for the various items myself.

All the regulations are on CARB's website for anyone interested.

• Advertisement

Yeah - for most people all they will need is a practicing cert. Although the odd few small organisations will still need to be audited such as certain grant funded charities etc.

Also, don't think any body gives out the audit cert without the practice cert also. You can have the practice cert without the audit cert, but not the other way around. As far as I know anyway :)

smcgiff wrote: »
    Yeah - for most people all they will need is a practicing cert. Although the odd few small organisations will still need to be audited such as certain grant funded charities etc.

Also, don't think any body gives out the audit cert without the practice cert also. You can have the practice cert without the audit cert, but not the other way around. As far as I know anyway :)
    You can definitely get an auditing certificate without having a practising cert.

Mmm, but that wouldn't make any sense :confused:, but then again, this is the CAI we're talking about. ;)

With ACCA and CPA (friend of mine went through it recently enough) you need to get the practicing cert and audit cert to get the audit cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

A few of my collegues at work have an auditing cert but do not have practicing certs (they are employees)

They are all ACA. I think it was common enough back along to get an auditing cert after qualifying but with the audit exempt thresholds, don't think as many people appy for them any more

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭stringbean

Thanks all for the replies, 46 weeks appears about right.

I think auditng cert is only needed if you want to sign off audited accounts, an is likely needed with practisin cert, not sure if I'll need it down the line but given that I worked mostly in audit durin my trainin contract I may as well apply for it.

• Advertisement

stringbean wrote: »

I think auditng cert is only needed if you want to sign off audited accounts, an is likely needed with practisin cert, not sure if I'll need it down the line but given that I worked mostly in audit durin my trainin contract I may as well apply for it.

It's not just a case of applying for an auditing cert - it's harder to get, and you'll most likely need to get higher indemnity insurance etc. Plus you'll need to pay an annual fee for both the practice and audit cert. Quite expensive I believe.

So, you may want to get your practice cert first then and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭MrSzyslak

stringbean wrote: »

Sorry to Bump but...

Anyone know if this is correct. How many audit days do you need for your CA diary to be deemed qualified?

Advertisement