Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being treated badly after i refused to come in on my holidays?

Options
  • 12-03-2011 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

A few months ago i was on a holiday week but only in the country at a friends. Work texted me to ask me to come in on a day smack bang in the middle of my holiday week. I said no as i was away and they replied saying they knew i was on hols but they hoped i would be willing to help. Since then i'm being treated badly, my rota gets changed at least twice a week. My targets are constantly going up, i get the worst shifts and all the crap jobs, and by crap jobs i really mean crap jobs. The ones everyone hates that used to be shared equally but now i always get them. I had a chat with my manager and they said that i needed to be a team player. And if i wasn't a team player in some areas then i would have to be in others.

Can anyone advise do i have any options here?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Try and get a job somewhere else!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Since then i'm being treated badly, my rota gets changed at least twice a week. My targets are constantly going up, i get the worst shifts and all the crap jobs, and by crap jobs i really mean crap jobs. The ones everyone hates that used to be shared equally but now i always get them. I had a chat with my manager and they said that i needed to be a team player. And if i wasn't a team player in some areas then i would have to be in others.

Can anyone advise do i have any options here?
    This sounds like constructive dismissal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Yup heading straight for constructive dismissal with a bit of bullying thrown in. http://www.bully4u.ie/understanding/types-of-workplace-bullying.196.html. Keep a diary of everything that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for replies...

...i rang nera but they sid my rota can get chnged every day if my employer wanted it too so its legal for them to keep changing it!!!!

I work part time so my manager is making out like these things should be done in the hours that i'm there only not when things get quiet as it used to be.

I'm at my wits end with rota changing and me hving to change or cancel plans.

Is it even legal for them to be hassling me when i'm on hols??

THanks for help, i've been there 9 months btw

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

After 1 years employement you will have more rights. Where I work, often people are called in while on holiday, that why everyone always says make sure you leave the country!

Our Unions have agreed 24hrs notice for rosta changes. The rotas usually dont change inless someone calls in sick.

It could be as easy as offering to cover the next person that rings in sick for this all to be forgotten about.

If not keep a diary of everything that happens with names times ad dates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is it even legal for them to be hassling me when i'm on hols??

If NERA didn't say that it's illegal, then I suspect it's not.

In some countries, you have to be allowed two weeks continuous holiday every year if you want it. Unfortunately Ireland isn't one of those countries.

TBH, I think your best be is job-hunting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

the_syco wrote: »
    This sounds like constructive dismissal.

I'm not so sure...
    Does anyone else's rota get changed, are you the only one on the "worst shifts", I wouldn't consider contacting you on holidays as "hassling" you either, they were stuck and needed a dig out..... There is no doubt that it is an employers market and those who don't "play the game" may well get the rough end of the stick from time to time... managers will always look after employees who give a dig out when needed and frown on those who don't.

Indeed keep a diary of what is going on but you are a long way off a CD case. People are all too quick to jump on Constructive Dismissal as advice for people but the reality of bringing such a case is very different..

Don't think a manager will treat everybody the same... it's a fact of life, play the game and get on or don't and life will be a bit tougher everyone has that choice..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

JustMary wrote: »
    If NERA didn't say that it's illegal, then I suspect it's not.

In some countries, you have to be allowed two weeks continuous holiday every year if you want it. Unfortunately Ireland isn't one of those countries.

TBH, I think your best be is job-hunting.
    In Ireland employees of 8 months standing are indeed entitled to two weeks uninterrupted leave
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/annual_leave_public_holidays.html

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for replies so far.

I was contacted every single day of my holidays for some info on situations in work. I was asked to come in and when i said i'm on holidays they replied saying they thought i would want to help. I said i would have liked to help but i'm away, then they replied saying so you don't want to help and i got another three messages about it until i said look i'm on a holiday week, i'm away on a break i can't come in, sorry...

My rota gets changed a lot more then others, its being changed aout 2-3 times a week. Its not because people are sick, so far i've only been asked to cover another person being sick once. Its just because they 'decide' they'd prefer me at x day or time instead of y etc. If ever i say this doesn't suit i'm greeted by silence, they've said they want me to do a day next week that i'm in college for. When i said i'm in college they sang the same old tune of well do you want to help us and be a team player or not...

They knew i was in college and the days i'm in college when they hired me btw. I constantly work the shift changes even though they rarely inform me about them, i'll just notice when i check the rota. I do extra days all the time. Its only since the holidays situation that they have labelled me as not being a team player, and all this has started. The shift changes have always happened but now every single shift is a bad one,sometimes the shifts are only two hours long. Others get a mix of good and bad shifts but i just get bad now, and get all the bad jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Union have agreeed that no shift could be less than 4hrs, but I dont know if that is employee law.

It really sounds like the most dis-organised crap job ever.

We'd all love to change our staffs shifts at the drop of the hat but we can't we have to spend hours on rotas until they are right.

You're suffering for your managers inability to supply cover to the business.

Look for a different job.

If you are approaching an established retail place like a supermarket, just say your leaving because you have to work 2hr shifts. I wouldn't question someone who had to put up with that crap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement