Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New veggie - getting cravings!

Options
  • 12-03-2011 6:02pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭

I decided to become a vegetarian about two weeks ago, and have been surprised at how easy it has been so far to change my eating patterns (I suppose this is an advantage of only having to prepare meals for myself)

I expected that at some point I would start missing meat, and was ready to go and buy some Quorn or Linda McCartney stuff when that happened. However, since I woke up this morning I have had the most bizarre urge to go and buy jelly sweets. On my way home this afternoon I bought some gelatine-free fruit pastilles in a health shop, thinking that this would calm the craving, but it really hasn't! I tried eating a chunk of cheese to see if that would help, but it hasn't done anything either. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I thought maybe that I haven't been getting enough of a certain nutrient, and that's why I want jelly so badly - a bit like pregnant women sometimes get a mad urge for pickles because they need the salt. Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

i dunno. u wouldnt be deficient at this stage. try some foods with iron. i recommend a spinach smoothie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

You can buy a few kinds of veggie jelly sweets! Made with fruit pectin. Nearly always available in the €2 store. Sometimes in the shape of orange slices or just chunks :) I saw some upmarket ones in Avoca today too. And Jelly Tots are fine. I'm sure your craving is just for want of those sweets. I've been vegan about three and a half years and I was craving a Twix the other day, just cause I passed one in a vending machine. It was strange; haven't wanted one in ages! I really wish they'd make a vegan equivalent.

You sound very organised :D

And well done on making the move. Any more questions, throw them at us.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭da_shivsta

i've been dying for a real pork sausage all week! driving me insane, i'm thinking of trying to batter some quorn sausages and see if i can trick myself out of the cravings! i'm definitely not deficient in anything it's just i guess you feel you're missing out!! happens me quite often. can't help with any further suggestions but i'm here for moral support

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Vegetarian sausages can taste quite different depending on the brand. Have you tried many brands? I'd recommend trying a few more to help take the edge off ;) Vegetarian Choice taste completely different to the usual Quorn sausages - I'd recommend them. You can get them in The Health Store if you live in Dublin. Also, the Redwood sausages taste quite different to the Quorn ones. Let us know how you get on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

I fall off the wagon sometimes when it comes to the jellies! My boyfriend bought me a packet of Haribo last week and I confess I ate them. Try the jelly beans made by an Irish company that come in the tubes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭sweetoblivion

Vegetarian sausages can taste quite different depending on the brand. Have you tried many brands? I'd recommend trying a few more to help take the edge off ;) Vegetarian Choice taste completely different to the usual Quorn sausages - I'd recommend them. You can get them in The Health Store if you live in Dublin. Also, the Redwood sausages taste quite different to the Quorn ones. Let us know how you get on :)

I love the Redwood ones as a treat sometimes! I hate the Linda McCartney ones but admittedly haven't eaten them in years. Only eat fake meats now and again as they're so processed but my boyf loves the Redwood ones and he's not veggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Embojitsu

Fishie wrote: »
    I decided to become a vegetarian about two weeks ago, and have been surprised at how easy it has been so far to change my eating patterns (I suppose this is an advantage of only having to prepare meals for myself)

I expected that at some point I would start missing meat, and was ready to go and buy some Quorn or Linda McCartney stuff when that happened. However, since I woke up this morning I have had the most bizarre urge to go and buy jelly sweets. On my way home this afternoon I bought some gelatine-free fruit pastilles in a health shop, thinking that this would calm the craving, but it really hasn't! I tried eating a chunk of cheese to see if that would help, but it hasn't done anything either. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I thought maybe that I haven't been getting enough of a certain nutrient, and that's why I want jelly so badly - a bit like pregnant women sometimes get a mad urge for pickles because they need the salt. Any advice would be appreciated!
    I'm a new vegetarian also and I just wanted to say welcome aboard and well done! I'm loving the vegetarian diet. There are some brilliant vegetarian cookbooks around at the minute like Cornucopia's cookbook and other cheaper ones, just if you were looking for some variety. I was really worried about craving meat too, and though I still enjoy the smell and like other people to enjoy their food, I must admit I'm finding that the cravings are only small. Who knew lentils could be so satisfying? I've got a really nice recipe for veggie tacos, if you want it just message me privately and I'll give it to you. It stops all meat cravings immediately. Enjoy your veggie-friendly jellies!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Hate to interrupt on a veggie thread as a card-carrying meat eater (don't shoot!:D)

Cravings for gelatin are an interesting thing to me. I get the same thing. I read up on it and it seems that you need to balance the metathione that you eat in protein (there's metathione in tofu and animal meat alike) with some glycine.

I eat bone broth for my glycine but I'm pretty sure you can get vegetarian supplements too. Might be the reason you're craving gelatine as it's a major source of the amino acid glycine.

Advertisement