Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing pine floorboard upstairs

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Keep old floorboards,trim will be ok if you like that sort of finish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Cargoboy

Thanks MP

When you say keep the floorboards do you mean put the new laminate ones on over the old ones ? Wont that raise them high and up and look high up on the old skirting ? if I go this way and remove the door saddle and reseat it on the new floor boards wont it look ver high from outside ?

I'm just curious if i pull up the old ones will there be plywood underneath or were they laid across the joist and can i do the same or do i need to install a subfloor of some sort for the new ones ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Yes lay the new floor over the old one,yes it will be higher up the skirting,and no it would be unlikely that there is anything but joists under the floor boards.A subfloor will have to be 3/4 ply or osb and you will end up with the same height at the skirting.Easiest thing to do is carefully remove skirting,lay new floor,remove door saddle run it down a table saw till the room side edge is aprox 14mm thick and put it back down it will look like its meant to be there,refit skirting.

Advertisement