Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pyrite In Ongar

Options
  • 12-03-2011 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi,

I got a leaflet through my door saying there was a meeting about Pyrite in Ongar as some houses have tested positive for this.

Anyone aware of these issues in houses in Ongar? Anyone know anybody who has this test done or know how muh it would cost to get this test done.

I would like to get it done for peace of mind while my house is still covered under home bond.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭annfield1978

the prices being submitted by structural companies for school jobs is ridiculously low

a race to the bottom

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

the prices being submitted by structural companies for school jobs is ridiculously low

a race to the bottom

How does this relate to the OP's query?

Please stay on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I haven't heard anything about pyrite being found in Ongar homes, but I have read that there was some found in social housing units in Dromheath and Corduff. Here's the link - http://www.dublinpeople.com/content/view/4379/57/.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

A few things in relation to the leaflet that is circulating that look a bit odd to me.

Firstly who exactly is organising this meeting, there is no mention of any of the established resident’s representative groups been involved.

Is the “Engineer" mentioned in the leaflet doing a solo run touting for business.

The leaflet is extremly vague and lacking in hard facts.

Pyrite contamination is an extremely serious issue, I know first hand what it can do and the necessary remedial steps involved in correcting it. This issue could have be dealt with in a less sensationalist fashion.

I am aware of areas in other countries where the mearest mention of Pyrite whether it is confirmed or not has wrecked the resale potential of homes for years afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Pat can you scan in or take a picture of this flyer and post it up so we can see it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

OP can you provide any more details?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭G.MAN

Just read the leaflet.Its complete scaremongering. This "chartered engineer" is clearly touting for business.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭robbie000

Sorry for not replying about this. I do not have the leaflet to hand but I am nearly sure its on in castaheany educate together tonight at 8pm. The structural engineer will be giving a talk, I am aware the Ongar residents association representatives will be there. I am sure there will be a number of residetns there also.

I will head along as if there is a chance of pyrite in my property I would want this tested and rectified under the homebond. Worth attending even if you dont think you have pyrite.

Cheers,
    Rob

Just to say I attended this meeting and there was some good advice given frm the engineer that was speaking. I was surprised by the number of people who turned up and also who seem to have major issues with cracking in there houses and apartments.

I would say there will be a follow up meeting as this went on for 90minutes and could have went on fr much longer.

Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 aerrieo

I also attended the meeting very informative and suprising... more meetings to come i would say.

• Advertisement

what was the advice.How can it be tested and is it free?

basically is your home is covered by Premier your in good shape if its covered by homebond your not as they didnt insure the houses for enough.

Testing isnt free if you suspect you have pyrite you would need to contact Premier or homebond. Then you would need to get a structural engineer to doa report circa €750-€1000. If they think you have pyrite they will advise getting a sample of your infill taken cost a few thousand also. You would need to pay both of these yourself before premier would investigate the issue. They still might not accept your claim depending on the level of pyrite present etc.

The cost of fixing the house if pyrite is present was 50k or 70k cant remember which was taking in alot of information but this would be paid by premier or homebond.

Very informative meeting anyway. My house isnt showing the signs of pyrite but I might get it tested anyway as is covered under premier for another 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

aerrieo wrote: »
    I also attended the meeting very informative and suprising... more meetings to come i would say.
    robbie000 wrote: »
    Just to say I attended this meeting and there was some good advice given frm the engineer that was speaking. I was surprised by the number of people who turned up and also who seem to have major issues with cracking in there houses and apartments.

I would say there will be a follow up meeting as this went on for 90minutes and could have went on fr much longer.

Rob

Is it strange that the only two people who attended this meeting have one post and four posts (only on this thread) respectively? Or am I just being paranoid?

There are a number of regular posters who appear to be from the Ongar area and I wonder have they anything to add?

Not paranoid at all, this is being watched closely!

Well I thought I would post a some people in Ongar might not have been abe to make it there. I would like to see if any other members from Ongar were at the meeting there was enough people there.

So maybe they might put a post of two. I did think that this was a forum so I am suppose to post but then maybe next time ill just say theres a meeting on and not give any feckin feedback on it.

Gaspode wrote: »
    Not paranoid at all, this is being watched closely!

Im sorry but this is a complete scam.There are NO confrirmed cases of Pyrite in Ongar.Yes there are cracks on some exterior walls,inclusing mine.However they were not structural and was simly filled.Please be careful here

Ok so the people at the meeting who confirmed there houses have tested positive for pyrite. The speaker Emmett Farrell from JJ Campbell & associates confirmed properties in Ongar have tested positive are just making this up??

i am definately not saying every house in Ongar has pyrite but some people have had the infill tested in there properties and they have come back positive and luckily enough they are covered by premier so this will be addressed for them.

I have a property in Ongar and am not seeing any of the peoblems other residents were having do they seemed to be in a different part of the estate to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 aerrieo

the reason i am reading and posting on this thread is because i am concerned about my house which may have pyrite.

I do not see why an expert engineer would put his reputation on the line if he was lying. I am going to get my house tested anyways. I have cracks inside and out side the house. I was at the meeting last night and it was confirmed that pyrite was found in ongar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

1. What quarries in Dublin have pyrite in their stone?

2. Which quarries was building material sourced from when building Ongar?

Knowing the answers to the above may indicate whether it is likely or not that there is Pyrite in Ongar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Is there any indication that the levels of pyrite in Ongar houses are anything to be concerned about? It's presence alone shouldn't be harmful structurally unless the concentration is high enough. There were obvious problems with houses in Baldoyle etc. but it mightn't be the case here. Hairline cracks in the plaster can appear in any house, and even large cracks can be down to poor construction rather than poor materials.

Not living in Ongar or familiar with the houses, just curious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

know lots of people living in Ongar, never heard any of them mention this problem.

Would like to see some hard evidence rather than the engineer sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BDSC1964

I have been following this thread and others like it. I am in the structural engineering business. I have seen several hundred homes affected by pyrite all over north Dublin and Meath over the past three years. I have not heard anything about Ongar. I have also seen many homes supposedly with pyrite problems which had not.

It is important you get the facts right and get good advice before you spend several thousand euro on testing and surveys and find its all negative. Just because you have cracks in your home or your neighbour has, doesnt necessarily mean pyrite damage. There are many things it could be. So if you do get a structural engineer ask him to eliminate all other possibilities and put this in his report and also ask him to outline the reasons why he thinks its pyrite damage. Get the engineer to commit in his report. He will then have to stand over it at a future time.

Because of the recent media events about pyrite I believe there is a lot of scare mongering going on. People in the construction business like myself are hard pressed for business and may be inclined to jump on band wagons. It is quite easy for an engineer or surveyor to add a note in a report suggesting testing for pyrite without there being evidence to support it. Hearsay and rumour are not facts. I have recently seen a terrace of houses some of which were very badly structurally damaged by pyrite others right next door were fine. There are many variables here. So I would advise people to take stock and get good advice. Do not commit to spending your money without getting the facts first. Step back have a good look at your home, note the defects, watch them, mark cracks with dates and come back later and see if they have moved on from the mark. Think back to when they first appeared etc.

I recently had an advisory article published in one of the northside free papers which gives advice to home owners on identifying structural defects in their homes relating to pyrite and how they might resolve this. If you PM me I can point you in the right direction. There is no sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Is there any indication that the levels of pyrite in Ongar houses are anything to be concerned about? .

Dude!

Read the whole thread! There is no pyrite in ongar!

BDSC1964 wrote: »
    I have been following this thread and others like it. I am in the structural engineering business. I have seen several hundred homes affected by pyrite all over north Dublin and Meath over the past three years. I have not heard anything about Ongar. I have also seen many homes supposedly with pyrite problems which had not.

It is important you get the facts right and get good advice before you spend several thousand euro on testing and surveys and find its all negative. Just because you have cracks in your home or your neighbour has, doesnt necessarily mean pyrite damage. There are many things it could be. So if you do get a structural engineer ask him to eliminate all other possibilities and put this in his report and also ask him to outline the reasons why he thinks its pyrite damage. Get the engineer to commit in his report. He will then have to stand over it at a future time.

Because of the recent media events about pyrite I believe there is a lot of scare mongering going on. People in the construction business like myself are hard pressed for business and may be inclined to jump on band wagons. It is quite easy for an engineer or surveyor to add a note in a report suggesting testing for pyrite without there being evidence to support it. Hearsay and rumour are not facts. I have recently seen a terrace of houses some of which were very badly structurally damaged by pyrite others right next door were fine. There are many variables here. So I would advise people to take stock and get good advice. Do not commit to spending your money without getting the facts first. Step back have a good look at your home, note the defects, watch them, mark cracks with dates and come back later and see if they have moved on from the mark. Think back to when they first appeared etc.

I recently had an advisory article published in one of the northside free papers which gives advice to home owners on identifying structural defects in their homes relating to pyrite and how they might resolve this. If you PM me I can point you in the right direction. There is no sell.

Sensible advice!

Cheers BDSC

Misguided1 wrote: »
    Folks - we are trying to get affected people to protest outside the Homebond offices to try to get some action from them. PM me if you are interested in getting involved.

But there are no confirmed cases of pyrite in Ongar :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

I'd be more worried about the dihydrogen monoxide which is currently affecting most of Ireland. Almost all houses are affected by it.

On the topic of pyrite, this is also known as 'fools gold' and considering the housing prices in Ongar over 10 years, the presence of pyrite is quite accurate. And no shortage of fool's willing to take on the advice from a leaflet with no substantiated claims. If you'd like, I'll introduce you to my good friend, a Nigerian prince i met via email.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

noxqs wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about the dihydrogen monoxide which is currently affecting most of Ireland. Almost all houses are affected by it.

Lethal stuff that, imagination if it fell from the sky :eek:

OK, this thread needs to be closed before any more rubbish arises

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement