Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Boards.ie like the Ministry of Truth...

Options
  • 12-03-2011 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭

... when it comes to David McSavage-bashing threads? The way they're just vaporised, and thus never existed...?

Seriously, if you're just going to delete threads without a word, maybe you should put up a sticky explaining the website's position on this topic to its members/contributors?

I'm not itching to attack the guy or anything - my only view on him is if he's going to dish it out, he should be prepared to take it, but the way these threads are being dealt with in such a secretive manner doesn't look too great imo...
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tahuti

There was no thread on McSavage. There was no deletion. You have not heard of a thread on McSavage. You have not heard of a deletion. They are not part of a conspiracy.

There is no conspiracy. The thread and the deletion, which did not exist, played no part in the conspiracy, which does not exist.

Repeat after me. There was no thread on McSavage...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

:D

Oceania Boards.ie is friends with Eurasia Dave McSavage and always has been...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Are you suggesting boards.ie is like a boot stamping on a human face forever? :p

Which admin is McSavages brother/uncle/cousin/second cousin/twice removed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

mike65 wrote: »
    Are you suggesting boards.ie is like a boot stamping on a human face forever? :p
    DeVore is Big Brother, Darragh is O'Brien, the rest of the admins are the Thought Police. I don't know who Winston is, but I guess I'm the chick he's banging. :pac:

Prison is Room 101.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,205 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I havent read that far. He bangs that chick huh? Niiice.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Is this another one that has dissapeared or the once from a couple of weeks back that was pretty lengthy before it was dissapeared?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I will make some assumptions.

Dave McSavage is a "entertainer" and i use that word with reservation. He is aware of boards.ie and i assume has read some of the comments about him on the forums and has in the worst sense being unable to brush it off or ignore it.

i will assume also that if he has not made some form of contact with boards.ie he has made some soundings of contact, or due to experience of these situations, boards.ie have preempted it and taken action - which is understandable
    Free speech is all well and good as long as it costs you nothing, but when the cost of your free speech is someone elses risk, in this case boards.ie - i can understand why they may choose this course of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,264 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

No talking about MCD DMcS

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Maybe because Boardsies seem to have an obsession with McSavage, and can never seem to STFU about him. As if his ego needed the pampering ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

I'm david mcsavage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Who the fúck is david mcsavage ?

Tallon wrote: »
    Who the fúck is david mcsavage ?

Me ye big prick,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

He did an interview answering questions in the TV forum...so he has made contact with boards in that respect

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Sorry, I had never heard of him prior to that interview and I'll be happy to spend the rest of my life not hearing from him again, which shouldnt be hard.

I dunno what thread people are saying I had a go at him on, I dont remember ever doing so. We shouldnt have dropped our standards to allow people to be uncivil to him regardless of what he said about users on this site but equally I don't think we should have given him a platform to insult our users. Live and learn.

Ideally this storm in a teacup will die off soon.

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    Sorry, I had never heard of him prior to that interview and I'll be happy to spend the rest of my life not hearing from him again, which shouldnt be hard.

I dunno what thread people are saying I had a go at him on, I dont remember ever doing so. We shouldnt have dropped our standards to allow people to be uncivil to him regardless of what he said about users on this site but equally I don't think we should have given him a platform to insult our users. Live and learn.

DeV.

Hey, are you really in charge? or do you you just think so ;-)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

There is no body "in charge" in the way you mean. I don't think there ever has been.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Dudess wrote: »
    ... when it comes to David McSavage-bashing threads? The way they're just vaporised, and thus never existed...?

Seriously, if you're just going to delete threads without a word, maybe you should put up a sticky explaining the website's position on this topic to its members/contributors?

I'm not itching to attack the guy or anything - my only view on him is if he's going to dish it out, he should be prepared to take it, but the way these threads are being dealt with in such a secretive manner doesn't look too great imo...

Easy.

Darragh mistakenly thinks that boards.ie is like RTE.ie and whateverthefùck.ie. What he doesn't realise is that boards.ie relies on it's users to make the site a success. Not his shìtty interviews with Z list celebrities.

He allowed that idiot to abuse the users of boards in the interview without even standing up for the community that is boards.ie.

We have the admins and Dev talk about boards being a community and yet Darragh thinks it's ok for these idiots to take the piss and call us boards.ie users "****ers" etc. and he won't even stand up for the community and cares more about advertisers than he does about the people that make the site by contributing.

Hypocrisy.

There is no body "in charge" in the way you mean. I don't think there ever has been.

DeV.

really, what odds I prove different?

Hey, are you really in charge? or do you you just think so ;-)

It's his name on the door to his office alright, but we all know he just snoozes all day on the couch in there.

tis not but a joke Your Excellency, I beg your mercy......*prostrates*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

<snipped>
    Prior to the first edition of Brass Eye hitting screens, Morris said: “Watch this programme now, because it will never be allowed a repeat. British law prohibits a video release and I'm too puked out to consider a second series. Brass Eye should put an end to the recent spate of feeble, under-realised faux-prankster drivel. It won't of course. It will just spawn another host of second-rate imitators. So top this, you quisling ****s.

“The whole of the media is a deception, everything that happens is a deception, cloaked in coded statements - a pay rise, a sacking, whatever. I can't stand that high-handed attitude that there's a proper way to behave. Everyone's ****ing about. I’m just displaying it. You can dupe people till the cows come home as far as I'm concerned'.”

hes right. you might not like it, but yes, he is correct

LoLth: A thread that contained abuse aimed at David mcSavage was removed from AH. I have no idea where anyone got the notion that the same content would get any better welcome in feedback. Insulting comments removed and user infracted. If you want to talk and give feedback on the thread or on boards.ie go ahead. Keep slanderous/libellous comments about celrities somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

:D

Oceania Boards.ie is friends with Eurasia Dave McSavage and always has been...
    DeVore is Big Brother, Darragh is O'Brien, the rest of the admins are the Thought Police. I don't know who Winston is, but I guess I'm the chick he's banging. :pac:

Prison is Room 101.

Somebody joined a library.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Easy.

Darragh mistakenly thinks that boards.ie is like RTE.ie and whateverthefùck.ie. What he doesn't realise is that boards.ie relies on it's users to make the site a success. Not his shìtty interviews with Z list celebrities.

He allowed that idiot to abuse the users of boards in the interview without even standing up for the community that is boards.ie.

We have the admins and Dev talk about boards being a community and yet Darragh thinks it's ok for these idiots to take the piss and call us boards.ie users "****ers" etc. and he won't even stand up for the community and cares more about advertisers than he does about the people that make the site by contributing.

did he hit a nerve with that comment TZ? :p Seriously, I took it to be an un-funny lazy attempt at comedy. Boards.ie = internet = internet users = nerds = no social life = alone = **** . Lazy, been done before. Also, you make it sound like he went on a tirade against boards.ie users, he didnt, he made a comment, thats it. It may have annoyed some people but it did not deserve the level of hate and slander in the AH thread. Not all of it was over the line, not all of it was badly phrased or legally actionable but some of it was and a mod sanctioning it instantly made it boards.ie's responsibility so it got removed.

Dudess, why should there have to be a sticky thread to tell people how to be civil and not behave like there is no consequence for their actions or words? Surely awareness of this should be the default behaviour of users of boards.ie and not something you have to work at maintaining? "celebrity" "insulted" boards.ie users in general ! Quick Lets see jsut how quickly we can get nasty on him! Lets suggest personal assaults in real life because if anyone reads it and follows up on it, anyone at all, then there's no way there'll be any fallout on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

sorry, I should clarify:
    a mod sanctioning it instantly made it boards.ie's responsibility

I am not a lawyer (seriously, I cannot bring myself to type that out in acronym format in case I hit space after the first letter by accident :p) but internet forums have been held accountable for their users' posts in the past. From the looks of current EU law, as long as boards.ie takes action on something when it is reported in a timely manner, we are ok. As long as an authorised agent of baords.ie does not sanction an illegal post or comment or action then we're ok. Whether or not a moderator, legally, counts as an "authorised agent" has not yet been tested but I, for one, would not like boards.ie to be the case that it gets tested on.

so, while what I posted above may be true, it also may not be. it hasnt been decided yet but it could be so why not err on the side of caution.... dont you just love the legal system? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

I step away from the site for one afternoon and this blows up...

For those of you who don't know what this is about, we recently did an interview in the TV forum with David McSavage. We do such Q&A's with people from time to time.

At the start of the interview with us, he made a typical (for him) "joke" about the users of Boards.ie. We took it in the humour it was meant in - do a search for McSavage or even read the thread where I invited questions and you'll see that he has had a lot said about him over the years, most of it uncomplimentary due to the nature of his act.

However, the site is changing and given the number of questions on the interview thread, people obviously had an interest in hearing from him and putting their questions to him. And so the interview went live, the TV forum members interested in it gave their feedback and that was that.

Some two weeks later (March 01, 22:17), TheZohan, who I think it's fair to say is no fan of my work, put it on After Hours with the subject "Stay in your bedrooms and **** yourself to sleep" and the introduction
    That's what David McSavage had to say about boardsie's, along with calling us "fùckers" while being interviewed by Darragh...and of course our boards interviewers just laughed at it, cheers Darragh & co.

not referencing the interview thread or the fact that there was an extra 30 minutes of McSavage answering Boards.ie member's questions - that he gave up his time to reply to questions that members of that forum had put to him.

What happened then was a 288 post thread in After Hours with many people saying "Oh that's terrible", many people saying "Are you serious, it was a joke?" and other people asking who McSavage was. There was a lot of abuse, a bit of swearing and really the whole thing got out of hand.

The next morning, coming into work to find this, I placed the following post on it:

It's worth pointing out that the interview has been in the Television forum over two weeks now and had no such complaints.

TheZohan - seriously dude, if you think this is bad, you should see the other stuff that's out there about Boards.ie. The atttitude that exists on other forums, on blogs, on twitter, and most worringly from companies because of threads like this.

If I was offended by that remark I wouldn't have included it in the video. You know, you say he attacked us but as many others have pointed out, he gave us his time too. Whatever your take on it, it was supposed to be funny and the only reason I left it in was I thought there'd be a sense of humour about it. In fairness though, you did a much better job at getting the video noticed than I would have in here, so thanks for that.

It's not my job to defend Boards.ie - Boards.ie shouldn't need defending. I'm here to promote, communicate about and help people with the site. Many people don't understand Boards.ie. This thread is a good example of why people don't.

There are things I see on this site that I don't like. Things I see that shouldn't be allowed. Things that I'm surprised anyone would put in writing. It's very easy to hide behind a monitor and spew abuse at someone, but would you say the same things to their faces? Would you sign every post with your real name and address? Because until you do that, and until you can say to me that Boards.ie has nothing on it that people should take offense at, be annoyed at, be angry over or that every poster, from Consumer Issues to Work & Jobs to Feedback is posting to give honest feedback and not out to intentionally offend, harm the reputation of or take revenge on someone, then we'll have a site that I'm happy to defend.

When you, TheZohan, do that - like I do - and take the real world consequences when you're meeting people face to face, answering legal emails or solicitor's letters, reading the reported posts, taking the abusive phone calls and hearing from other professionals and potential advertisers that they wouldn't come near Boards.ie because it's the Wild West of Irish internet, then come back to me and tell me how I should defend Boards.ie more than I already do.

The internet is changing. This site is changing. You throw abuse at people, expect them to come back with a retort. I really don't get why you think this is so "offensive". You should read the emails I get if you think this is bad.

Darragh

and after a while the thread was locked by an After Hours cMod with the following message:
    What galls me is that behind the scenes we (and by "we" I collectively mean the AH Mods and CMods) have to defend AH fairly regularly and convince people that it's not the free-for-all pool of vitriol and nonsense that so many people perceive it to be. And then you get this, and it's facepalm central.

I'm locking this, it needs to be reviewed. Personally I think McSavages detractors have played right into his hands, total mission fail.

and seems to have been removed the same day. I didn't request this to happen. A longer discussion grew between Dav, DeVore, me, the Admins and the AH moderators about the thread and as often happens on a site with approximately 20,000 posts a day, was static.

And so we come to this thread.

Boards.ie as a whole needs to come to some decision - and make it site-wide - about what sort of post is not allowed. As Almighty Cushion has pointed out to me numerous times, we have an AH policy on no abuse of celebrities, but should we make this site wide? The comprehensive After Hours policy covers a lot of what's allowed in there. The thread in After Hours about McSavage descended into just general abuse about him - and other comedians who were not involved here. Should that be allowed? Is it okay that we host discussions where someone is talked about because they're in the newspapers/media/doing a job/online at all? Do we operate, as some people would have it, where if you insult Boards.ie, Boards.ie can insult you.

Is it okay that we allow people to be called C*nts on our site? Would you like that said about you on one of Ireland's biggest (and most Google friendly) websites? Remember too, it's not your username, but your real name up there.

From a McSavage interview with a National Sunday newspaper earlier this year:
    It's not just the comedy 'industry'. McSavage has also alienated members of the general public – people he doesn't even know. Mentions of him on internet message boards prompt extreme responses. "I spent years and years slagging people off on the street, so that's to be expected to some extent," he sighs.

"You're making fun of wobbly personalities and then in the quiet of their bedrooms they go onto the internet and go mad. There's one guy on boards.ie who spent a year talking about me – 'He's a c**t. He's a c**t' all that sort of stuff. That's beyond hatred. It's beyond love. There's something else going on there. Thank God those people have their f***ing internet chat-rooms because if they didn't God knows what they'd do."

Are you happy to be a member of a website that is primarily known for abuse?

Personally, I'm not. That's why we've worked hard to dispel this reputation and show the massively positive and constructive side of Boards.ie, the one that makes it a useful website to be part of. That's why we need rules, guidelines, charters and all that jazz, because without that structure, without our moderators, the site becomes unusable. I've often wondered if we should have a forum that has no moderation or rules, just so we see how it goes.

Legally of course Boards.ie is responsible for what goes onto its website, once we're told about it. It's eventually you, the poster, and us, the website team that are legally responsible for what you post. People get angry, frustrated, drunk, thoughtless, malicious and brave when they post under a username on Boards.ie and regularly we get requests from people to delete their posts because "they weren't thinking". We get the people who sign up just to damage the reputation of a company they were sacked from, or who is in competition with them. As I said in my AH post, you should see some of the emails we get.

I'm not for one minute advocating "censorship", as inferred in the first post here, but there's a difference between someone commenting on something and abuse. Why should we allow people to be called f*ckers, c*nts or any of that on the site? Surely there's other ways of communicating?

There's no policy that I know of. In my opinion that thread shouldn't have been deleted - it wasn't, as far as I know - an "official" request - and I think you're right - a policy has to be made. It's a fair comment and suggestion you have there.
    snyper wrote: »
    I will make some assumptions.

Dave McSavage is a "entertainer" and i use that word with reservation. He is aware of boards.ie and i assume has read some of the comments about him on the forums and has in the worst sense being unable to brush it off or ignore it.

i will assume also that if he has not made some form of contact with boards.ie he has made some soundings of contact, or due to experience of these situations, boards.ie have preempted it and taken action - which is understandable

Just to clarify, David has not been in touch officially about any posts or threads. There was no pre-emption - the removal of that thread had more to do with something else, currently being discussed by the Admins. As far as I know, the Admins had not requested the removal of that thread.
    We shouldnt have dropped our standards to allow people to be uncivil to him regardless of what he said about users on this site but equally I don't think we should have given him a platform to insult our users. Live and learn.

This, from the start, has been DeV's point of view to the admins and on thread. It's an important one for me to reply to so...

I thought the viewers of the video, bearing in mind the wider thread that happened before, would take the wider context of both the history of McSavage with Boards.ie AND what McSavage's comedy is like when watching that video, and think, as I did, that it was funny. As I've said there was no such reaction in the TV forum from the people who answered those questions.

I was wrong and I apologise to anyone who was offended.

I shouldn't have included that part in the video. It was insulting to enough people to feel that it was a reflection on their membership of this site, rather than a reference to the past threads about McSavage. So, once again, I apologise.

And so we come to TheZohan's comments about me:
    TheZohan wrote: »
    Easy.

Hypocrisy.

In some ways TheZohan is correct.

I do think this website could be like RTE.ie, in being a great resource for its members. I do think that Q&A videos can be useful, in giving Boards.ie members the chance to ask questions from people they want to hear answers from. I also am aware that this is far from perfect and mistakes have been made by me, but overall the reaction is far more positive than negative - not that this gets acknowledged or appreciated in threads like these.
    What he doesn't realise is that boards.ie relies on it's users to make the site a success.

I'll let anyone who has dealt with me, worked with me, been helped by me or who knows the effort I put into Boards.ie to make up their own mind on this one.

We have the admins and Dev talk about boards being a community

Can I ask how many people reading this actually believe that Boards.ie is a community? We're a platform for communities, certainly - we see that in many forums - but I'd be confident in saying that the community (as TheZohan would have you believe exists) is a tiny percentage of the overall userbase on Boards.ie - and I point to projects like /Vote or the feedback we get around new initiatives as evidence. Boards.ie is not a community website - it's a website for communities. We certainly don't think of it in the office as a "community" website, but hey, it's a big website - happy to be open to correction on it.

See, from where I'm sitting, with far more access to the statistics and knowing how many threads we get on site a week (approximately 7,000), how many posts we get a day (approximately 20,000) and how many users log in a week (29,500+ last week) coupled with the traffic the site gets (over 4.6 million uniques since January 1), what I'm seeing is most people don't care. They don't know or want to know. They come to read the topics they're interested in, participate in the forums they want to and post about what they want rather than think "Oh, I'm part of a community here". To say Boards.ie is a "community" is like saying there's a mobile phone community in Ireland - that anyone with a mobile is part of a community. They're not - people just use the site.

We do have loyal, committed and interested members helping us make the site a success - our subscribers, our moderators, cMods, hMods, Admins especially and those who take the time to report posts, put up interesting content and give feedback on the site when it's needed, but how many of those of the 200,000 active members we have now are there?

It's very easy for someone like TheZohan to write posts like that, just as it's very easy for someone to come to the site anonymously to post abuse or cause trouble. It's easy to point out there's a problem and there's plenty of people in the world willing to do that, but how many will suggest and work towards a solution?
    he won't even stand up for the community and cares more about advertisers than he does about the people that make the site by contributing.

It's unfortunate that you have that perception. It really is. Everything that we work on for this site is for the people who use it. As I said earlier, I'm the one using my actual name, my face, my reputation to work on the site, just as Dav is. Sorry to quote myself again, but I think it's important:
    It's not my job to defend Boards.ie - Boards.ie shouldn't need defending. I'm here to promote, communicate about and help people with the site. Many people don't understand Boards.ie. This thread is a good example of why people don't.

There are things I see on this site that I don't like. Things I see that shouldn't be allowed. Things that I'm surprised anyone would put in writing. It's very easy to hide behind a monitor and spew abuse at someone, but would you say the same things to their faces? Would you sign every post with your real name and address? Because until you do that, and until you can say to me that Boards.ie has nothing on it that people should take offense at, be annoyed at, be angry over or that every poster, from Consumer Issues to Work & Jobs to Feedback is posting to give honest feedback and not out to intentionally offend, harm the reputation of or take revenge on someone, then we'll have a site that I'm happy to defend.

When you, TheZohan, do that - like I do - and take the real world consequences when you're meeting people face to face, answering legal emails or solicitor's letters, reading the reported posts, taking the abusive phone calls and hearing from other professionals and potential advertisers that they wouldn't come near Boards.ie because it's the Wild West of Irish internet, then come back to me and tell me how I should defend Boards.ie more than I already do.

Do I care about advertisers? Yes. They pay my wages, they pay to keep the site working, the tech team employed to look after the servers and the code and to introduce new features. They pay for the offices we sit in, the computers we use to access the site, the electricity, the coke and hookers, the tea and everything that helps make the site actually be here for the people who use it.

Do I care more about them than the people who use the site? No. I'm part of a team that works constantly to make the site better, that gives things a go that otherwise mightn't happen and that people want or need. I'm very lucky to have the job I do and that's why I spend so much time on the site, working to make it better. A lot of it you won't see - and that's okay. As long as the site works.

Sometimes what we do won't suit everyone. Sometimes people are just out to make trouble. Sometimes they just want to get that dig in on someone, rather than face up to the situation on hand. Sometimes people won't get it and will need to be removed or told to cop on, because they're far more trouble than they're worth. Sometimes we make mistakes. It's all part of it. Could it be better? I'd like to think so.

Holy jaysis this is a long post. Time for a tl;dr:

Things need to change and evolve on Boards.ie. We need to work better to have more policies in place to help prevent the reputation that Boards.ie has as a place that condones or encourages abuse and we need to work with the moderators to help the people who use their forums find the site more useful, more interesting and more fun.

Any help/advice/encouragement and constructive criticism you can provide to help us make that happen is very much appreciated.

LoLth wrote: »
    did he hit a nerve with that comment TZ? :p Seriously, I took it to be an un-funny lazy attempt at comedy. Boards.ie = internet = internet users = nerds = no social life = alone = **** . Lazy, been done before. Also, you make it sound like he went on a tirade against boards.ie users, he didnt, he made a comment, thats it. It may have annoyed some people but it did not deserve the level of hate and slander in the AH thread. Not all of it was over the line, not all of it was badly phrased or legally actionable but some of it was and a mod sanctioning it instantly made it boards.ie's responsibility so it got removed

He sure did surely didn't. :o Ah no it's just that a bit of consistency would be nice, ok the guy was slated by boards users in the past and he gets a jibe back at them via the interview but then the following thread about the aul interview gets deleted in AH. Yes there were a few unsavoury comments about him(made one or two myself) but I didn't note anything of a slanderous nature on the thread and nothing that would require the thread being deleted for an legal action. The mod that made the sticky did a great job, he gave users an opportunity to vent and he kept it to the one thread, twas therapeutic.

If people call boards.ie users **** then boards.ie users should be allowed respond in kind.

Darragh wrote: »
    Some two weeks later (March 01, 22:17), TheZohan, who I think it's fair to say is no fan of my work, put it on After Hours with the subject "Stay in your bedrooms and **** yourself to sleep" and the introduction

No Darragh for the most part I think you do a fine job, but when I see something that doesn't sit right I will bring it up. I didn't slate you, I attacked the process not the person. If all of us were surrounded by "yes" men we'd never achieve anything

What happened then was a 288 post thread in After Hours with many people saying "Oh that's terrible", many people saying "Are you serious, it was a joke?" and other people asking who McSavage was. There was a lot of abuse, a bit of swearing and really the whole thing got out of hand.
    I had some rum the night before, hence the dirty pirate mouth. :o
    The next morning, coming into work to find this, I placed the following post on it:

and after a while the thread was locked by an After Hours cMod with the following message:
    And then the thread was locked and disappeared without a word a few hours later.

Boards.ie as a whole needs to come to some decision - and make it site-wide - about what sort of post is not allowed. As Almighty Cushion has pointed out to me numerous times, we have an AH policy on no abuse of celebrities, but should we make this site wide? The comprehensive After Hours policy covers a lot of what's allowed in there. The thread in After Hours about McSavage descended into just general abuse about him - and other comedians who were not involved here. Should that be allowed? Is it okay that we host discussions where someone is talked about because they're in the newspapers/media/doing a job/online at all? Do we operate, as some people would have it, where if you insult Boards.ie, Boards.ie can insult you.
    Users should be allowed to respond to abuse/jibes aimed at them in this case as the interview was put up with the jibes unedited.

Is it okay that we allow people to be called C*nts on our site? Would you like that said about you on one of Ireland's biggest (and most Google friendly) websites? Remember too, it's not your username, but your real name up there.
    C*nts was my doing, I crossed the line with that word and I apologise. I should have just called him a w@nker or something less abusive.
    From a McSavage interview with a National Sunday newspaper earlier this year:

Are you happy to be a member of a website that is primarily known for abuse?
    I actually stood up for the person in the interview on previous occasions, but when he generalised and aimed his jibes at all members and not the one or two who seem to have an actual hatred for the guy (and Bono, and Gerry Ryan) I responded in kind.

I'm not for one minute advocating "censorship", as inferred in the first post here, but there's a difference between someone commenting on something and abuse. Why should we allow people to be called f*ckers, c*nts or any of that on the site? Surely there's other ways of communicating?
    Surely you could have acknowledged in the interview that not all boards users were as he described?
    I shouldn't have included that part in the video. It was insulting to enough people to feel that it was a reflection on their membership of this site, rather than a reference to the past threads about McSavage. So, once again, I apologise.
    Sound.

I do think this website could be like RTE.ie, in being a great resource for its members. I do think that Q&A videos can be useful, in giving Boards.ie members the chance to ask questions from people they want to hear answers from. I also am aware that this is far from perfect and mistakes have been made by me, but overall the reaction is far more positive than negative - not that this gets acknowledged or appreciated in threads like these.
    In my opinion boards has actually surpassed rte.ie so trying to make it like rte.ie will only constrain it and push it in a direction that is not a natural evolution for the site.

Can I ask how many people reading this actually believe that Boards.ie is a community? We're a platform for communities, certainly - we see that in many forums - but I'd be confident in saying that the community (as TheZohan would have you believe exists) is a tiny percentage of the overall userbase on Boards.ie - and I point to projects like /Vote or the feedback we get around new initiatives as evidence. Boards.ie is not a community website - it's a website for communities. We certainly don't think of it in the office as a "community" website, but hey, it's a big website - happy to be open to correction on it.
    I think it's like a big dysfunctional family. New users will tend to stick to one or maybe two fora but the longer you stay post here the more fora you will post in. Of course you'll have the user that pops in, grabs info and never posts again, but is the aim of the site not to keep posters and avoid "churn"?

See, from where I'm sitting, with far more access to the statistics and knowing how many threads we get on site a week (approximately 7,000), how many posts we get a day (approximately 20,000) and how many users log in a week (29,500+ last week) coupled with the traffic the site gets (over 4.6 million uniques since January 1), what I'm seeing is most people don't care. They don't know or want to know. They come to read the topics they're interested in, participate in the forums they want to and post about what they want rather than think "Oh, I'm part of a community here". To say Boards.ie is a "community" is like saying there's a mobile phone community in Ireland - that anyone with a mobile is part of a community. They're not - people just use the site.
    See above point.
    We do have loyal, committed and interested members helping us make the site a success - our subscribers, our moderators, cMods, hMods, Admins especially and those who take the time to report posts, put up interesting content and give feedback on the site when it's needed, but how many of those of the 200,000 active members we have now are there?

It's very easy for someone like TheZohan to write posts like that, just as it's very easy for someone to come to the site anonymously to post abuse or cause trouble. It's easy to point out there's a problem and there's plenty of people in the world willing to do that, but how many will suggest and work towards a solution?
    If I didn't give a crap I would have just bumped an older thread that slated the guy. Yes I called the dude a bad name but I was a tad miffed at his attitude towards boards users...yes I think I probably did overreact to I'm not perfect. To insinuate that I'm just here posting away anonymously trying to cause trouble is not very fair.

When you attend a boards beers you are no longer anonymous, if you've ever moderated a forum you are not anonymous. I stated on the thread that I believed that you should have checked McS when he got his jibe at boards users.

It's unfortunate that you have that perception. It really is. Everything that we work on for this site is for the people who use it. As I said earlier, I'm the one using my actual name, my face, my reputation to work on the site, just as Dav is. Sorry to quote myself again, but I think it's important:
    There is NO such thing as being anonymous on the internets.

Do I care about advertisers? Yes. They pay my wages, they pay to keep the site working, the tech team employed to look after the servers and the code and to introduce new features. They pay for the offices we sit in, the computers we use to access the site, the electricity, the coke and hookers, the tea and everything that helps make the site actually be here for the people who use it.

Do I care more about them than the people who use the site? No. I'm part of a team that works constantly to make the site better, that gives things a go that otherwise mightn't happen and that people want or need. I'm very lucky to have the job I do and that's why I spend so much time on the site, working to make it better. A lot of it you won't see - and that's okay. As long as the site works.

Sometimes what we do won't suit everyone. Sometimes people are just out to make trouble. Sometimes they just want to get that dig in on someone, rather than face up to the situation on hand. Sometimes people won't get it and will need to be removed or told to cop on, because they're far more trouble than they're worth. Sometimes we make mistakes. It's all part of it. Could it be better? I'd like to think so.

Things need to change and evolve on Boards.ie. We need to work better to have more policies in place to help prevent the reputation that Boards.ie has as a place that condones or encourages abuse and we need to work with the moderators to help the people who use their forums find the site more useful, more interesting and more fun.

Any help/advice/encouragement and constructive criticism you can provide to help us make that happen is very much appreciated.
    The reason I mentioned the fact that you care more about the advertisers is because you brought it up in the deleted thread. 98% of the threads in AH don't contain abuse like was seen in the deleted thread, the thread was made in response to a jibe/insult that the interviewee made towards users. Now I probably should have made that thread over here in Feedback, my mistake, but the thread was not started on a whim because I wanted to abuse the guy for no reason.

If you mention advertisers and then delete a thread then yup I'm going to think you care more about the advertisers than users and of course that is just my opinion and I have been wrong many, many times before in the past.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Darragh wrote: »

Great post Darragh and very well said, I'd agree 100% with nearly all of it. The work to bring boards more mainstream may not suit everyone, but it either goes one way or the other and ascends from the banal abuse laden empty post culture or descends further in to it.

Devs post that
    equally I don't think we should have given him a platform to insult our users. Live and learn.

is disingenuous. Having already said he had never heard of McSavage before shows how you can become out of touch with what is happening on boards on a daily basis. The comment is hypocritical with the platform given by boards to allow thousands of much worse insults at McSavage over the years.

Similar posts by Dev re Gerry Ryan threads and his lack of respect for boards were also made in the vacuum of apparently having no idea of the vitriolic, savage abuse of him and his children going on for a long time on boards. Once this was pointed out, Dev apparently acted quickly on it and removed a lot of it. However, it appears that unless an Dav, Darragh or Dev directly come across this type of stuff it's allowed to stand by moderators.

I love boards and I love what Dev and others have done to create and nurture it. Ignoring, denying and therefore condoning the ugly undertone in a reasonable minority of boards posts isn't a good part of it though. It adds nothing to the site, why allow it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

People like McSavage put themselves in the public eye. He sees no problem with insulting randomers in the street.

I view AH like a chat in the pub, if some celeb is a cúnt they get called a cúnt.

The site is a forum, dont try to make it something it isnt, its a forum, dont become a sell out.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

If people call boards.ie users **** then boards.ie users should be allowed respond in kind.
    How would that work as a general rule on boards.ie? If one poster calls another a wanker, then that poster should be allowed to respond in kind? I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way on any forum on here, and I'm even more sure it shouldn't work that way.
    Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    I view AH like a chat in the pub, if some celeb is a cúnt they get called a cúnt.
    I wonder how the Irish Times would get on with an editorial philosophy like that.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    How would that work as a general rule on boards.ie? If one poster calls another a wanker, then that poster should be allowed to respond in kind? I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way on any forum on here, and I'm even more sure it shouldn't work that way.

Read my post from above that:
    Users should be allowed to respond to abuse/jibes aimed at them in this case as the interview was put up with the jibes unedited.

Advertisement