Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samung Galaxy!! Fleeced from Internet

• 12-03-2011 7:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

Hi I got the above phone for xmas. And since then I have put an enormous amount of credit into it. Was only in the last few weeks that I noticed the credit was going down even when I wasnt using it.
    Went to the shop today and they told me it was normal becouse of updates. The girl told me to go to Samsung Kies website and I should be able to set up an option in my phone to turn on and off the internet.
    But I cant find anything on their website so Im hoping that someone might be able to help me, please??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

1. Push in on the On/Off button.
    2. a menu with 4 options appears.
    3. One is called Data Network Mode. Deactivate this to stop your Mobile providers internet Connection
    4. The symbol for the Data Network should be gone from your task bar at the top.
    5. If none of this worked or you can't get it to work bring it into any mobile phone shop and ask them to do it for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Cadyboo, Samsung Kies can be found here:

http://www.samsungapps.com/about/onPc.as

---

ChunkyLover_53's advice is very very simple, I am after 'discovering' it myself today, after a hefty credit\data loss.

Press down on your power button for about a second and a Menu will pop up where you can toggle:

Mobile network
    Connect to Internet is OFF

-or-

Mobile network
    Connect to Internet is ON

---

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Europa (I5500) ..and I had to upgrade to 2.2 to get this feature. Indispensable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

1. Push in on the On/Off button.
    2. a menu with 4 options appears.
    3. One is called Data Network Mode. Deactivate this to stop your Mobile providers internet Connection
    4. The symbol for the Data Network should be gone from your task bar at the top.
    5. If none of this worked or you can't get it to work bring it into any mobile phone shop and ask them to do it for you

That is not on my phone. The girl in the shop told me to go to samsung kies to get that option on my phone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

You can get an app to do it for you.

This is a good one.

https://market.android.com/details?id=net.maicas.android.apnoo&feature=search_result

It simply renames your APN so you CANT connect to the internet. Then when you want to go on just press it again and it'll rename it back.

But you should also use Kies to update your phone if you're not using the latest version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

[in reply to your Private Message]

Cadyboo, you need to install Kies from the Samsung site, onto your PC\Laptop. The software will then allow you to manage your phone in various ways, as well as transfer media to and from the phone.

Kies can also enable\disable access to the Network.

If your phone is SIM\Network locked, you can only really update the software version if your phone provider has one available for you to update to.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Cadyboo wrote: »
    That is not on my phone. The girl in the shop told me to go to samsung kies to get that option on my phone.

Go to settings, go into about phone, what firmware are you on, you need to be on 2.2 to use this option

I'm sorry but I feel so dumb as nothing that anyone suggested is working. It is on version 2.1. Went into kies and phone connected but can't find anywhere to upgrade this to 2.2.
    There is a prompt coming up to say that there are updates. But it does not seem to updating!! It's driving me crazy now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Does the Galaxy not come with the default Android power control widget??
    You can turn off wifi, bluetooth, 2/3G, etc etc with a single touch.

Hold down your finger on a blank space, go to widgets, and click Power control. AS far as I know, this will work, but I dont have a galaxy so cant confirm. It works on the Desire though. In fact, when I'm on the bus and want to go online, I have to go and turn it back on so I can even go online!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

Can't understand why the OP doesn't get a data bundle? No point having a phone of the standard of the galaxy, without data.

All providers except O2 have good options on pre-pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

You can get a free APP called 'Quick Settings' in the market place that lets you turn the 3G on or off.

• Advertisement

bd250110 wrote: »
    Can't understand why the OP doesn't get a data bundle? No point having a phone of the standard of the galaxy, without data.

All providers except O2 have good options on pre-pay.

That was great help. :rolleyes: Cheers for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Cadyboo wrote: »
    That was great help. :rolleyes: Cheers for that.

Lol. But to be honest, he has a point there, paying an extra €5 for a data bundle, if possible, is the way to go. You should not have to worry about the credit vanishing with a 500Mb or 1Gb monthly data bundle.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭TFK

Uncheck the enable background data option and set your samsung update to wifi only.

I can't remember exactly where they are (sorry) but I think it's Settings-Wifi/network because I updated to 2.2 and also use Go Launcher so my menus are slightly different now.

Advertisement