Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quality of 35mm scan

• 12-03-2011 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi guys, I have a question.

I recently shot a roll of Ilford HP5 (ISO 400, B&W), had it developed at a camera shop and availed of their facility to scan the pictures from the negatives to a CD. I've had a look at the results, and I have to say that I'm surprised by the amount of grain. Here's a link to one of the pics:

http://pix.ie/melange/2210729/size/3360

To those more familiar with film and its properties than I am: is this a standard amount of grain for properly exposed, non-pushed ISO 400 film? It does seem like rather a lot to me. It leaves me wondering if something went awry with the developing or scanning process.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Its film, you left it in somewhere to get it developed. NEVER going to be as good as home developement regarding times/temps/quality of chems and/or scanning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Have you tried printing it out to see how it looks?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Melange

pete4130 wrote: »
    Its film, you left it in somewhere to get it developed. NEVER going to be as good as home developement regarding times/temps/quality of chems and/or scanning.

Good point. I didn't think the difference would be that significant.
    Effects wrote: »
    Have you tried printing it out to see how it looks?

I printed the digital image to a roughly 12x8 inch size. The grain isn't as blatantly noticeable as in the full-size digital image, but is still very much evident.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that looks as much like noise as grain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

That looks like it was done on a Fuji Frontier system in full-auto mode.

With the default settings a Frontier will scan grainy black & white films that "badly" because it actually ends up sharpening the hell out of the film grain.

It's likely that the technicians who scanned the film don't know how, or aren't allowed, to change the sharpening settings on the system.. but the results do come out a lot better with the sharpening all turned off. (I think the settings is called "all soft" but it might be more complicated than that. It's been 5+ years since I dealt with a Frontier system directly.)

The film itself is probably fine.. get the re-scanned by someone using a different scanning system, or do them yourself, and you'll probably get fine results.. the exposure doesn't look way off or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Melange

Heebie wrote: »
    That looks like it was done on a Fuji Frontier system in full-auto mode.

With the default settings a Frontier will scan grainy black & white films that "badly" because it actually ends up sharpening the hell out of the film grain.

It's likely that the technicians who scanned the film don't know how, or aren't allowed, to change the sharpening settings on the system.. but the results do come out a lot better with the sharpening all turned off. (I think the settings is called "all soft" but it might be more complicated than that. It's been 5+ years since I dealt with a Frontier system directly.)

The film itself is probably fine.. get the re-scanned by someone using a different scanning system, or do them yourself, and you'll probably get fine results.. the exposure doesn't look way off or anything.

Thanks for that, it's definitely put my mind at ease quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭serjical_strike

Melange wrote: »
    Hi guys, I have a question.

I recently shot a roll of Ilford HP5 (ISO 400, B&W), had it developed at a camera shop and availed of their facility to scan the pictures from the negatives to a CD. I've had a look at the results, and I have to say that I'm surprised by the amount of grain. Here's a link to one of the pics:

http://pix.ie/melange/2210729/size/3360

To those more familiar with film and its properties than I am: is this a standard amount of grain for properly exposed, non-pushed ISO 400 film? It does seem like rather a lot to me. It leaves me wondering if something went awry with the developing or scanning process.

ive printed mine by hand in college and when scanned they all look very grainy and noisy but the actual print itself isnt like this, i dont know if its my scanner or how i scanned them but they arent the best tbh..!! they are on my flickr if you want to compare http://www.flickr.com/photos/serjical_strike/

all B&W shot with ilford hp5 (400 iso).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

There may be several things going on here. As there is no way HP5+ gives that kind of results. Possible culprits are:

Scan settings : As outlined by someone else, although I never had issues with same, I scan my own on a flatbed at home. Its' worth trying to scan that one shot again on another scanner and see if there is a difference.

Underexposure: Doesn't seem to much depth of darkness ( blacks ) in the photo, but this could be underdevelopment too or choice of developer. Did you specify a developer? The blacks should be almost like velvet even when scanned, never mind traditionally printed on Fibre.

Underdevelopment: Hard to tell without seeing neg but another option and probably more of a cause than Underexposure, was the sky so flat and featureless on day of shoting?

Filter: Did you use one? A medium yellow filter should always be on ones lens for B&W.

Hope this helps you find the answer, it probably is a combination of factors.

This is 35mm HP5+ In XTOL 1:1 a straight neg scan no alterations with those photo programmes etc. The Grain is hardly visible and blacks velvety ..

5510424255_6faf81c8cc_z.jpg
    AnthonyCronin642 by Anthony Cronin, on Flickr

Advertisement